Barry Bannan

villianusa

I've checked soccerbase and actually in fairness, of his 28 league appearances, 25 of them were starts. Spread over 3 playing seasons. As you say, more than enough time for Bolton to evaluate the player and decide to give us 2.5 times more money for him 5 years ago than we got for Barry this year. But even all of that is neither here nor there. We know what Cahill has done since. We'll leave it up to Bannan to forge his career properly now. He has his chance as a settled member of a team. He'll sink or swim based on his performances now. I've outlined my forfeit if I'm wrong. What's yours Con ?

Excellent, we can now tick off stage 3.

Even so, for the fun on it my forfeit if Bannan does not make the Champions League will be to climb Everest using only my nose whilst strapped to the back of a donkey.

Excellent, we can now tick off stage 3.

Even so, for the fun on it my forfeit if Bannan does not make the Champions League will be to climb Everest using only my nose whilst strapped to the back of a donkey.

Ahem, "does not make the Champions League with an English Premier League team".

If this were 15 years ago I would agree that Bannan would have to down a division, but this is the now, not 10-15 years ago. Football has changed and more players similar to Bannan is the future. 

This statement would have held more weight 10 years ago, its back to the German machines now!

True to a point, but it's more than tactics that will fluctuate machine-grace-machine-grace etc... there has been a structural shift. Main one is better pitch technology that allows passing football all year round. 

If this were 15 years ago I would agree that Bannan would have to down a division, but this is the now, not 10-15 years ago. Football has changed and more players similar to Bannan is the future. 

This statement would have held more weight 10 years ago, its back to the German machines now!

True to a point, but it's more than tactics that will fluctuate machine-grace-machine-grace etc... there has been a structural shift. Main one is better pitch technology that allows passing football all year round. 

No its more to do with current vogue being what is currently winning.

The Spanish model has been superseded by a better model, built around physical strength aligned to passing ability and movement.

It was always going to happen.

The Spanish model has been superseded by a better model, built around physical strength aligned to passing ability and movement.

"Spanish model" - anarchist-cooperative football where everyone has the same job and the same skills and the ball is passed into the net. Ideal player Messi or Neymar.

"German model" - Mercedes football of power, speed and precision. Ideal player Ronaldo or Bale.

The point I made about the structural shift is still valid though.

Players who have low centre of gravity and technical skills to manipulate the ball in a tight space continue to dominate possession statistics. This is still the case, despite the existence of the "German model." 

The Bayern Munich - Barcelona semi-final last year, which Munich won 7-0 over two legs,  Barcelona dominated possession both home and away.

The problem with the Spanish model is the defence. It's a defender problem, not a Bannan problem.

Especially not a midfielder problem - another structural change, in addition to pitch technology, are the rule changes, that advantage the skilled players in the midfield tackle zone. 

Rather than dive in at speed (Wes Brown style) large players are now encouraged by the rules to stay on their feet. There they are in a position to get rings run around them by the low-centre of gravity players like Bannan.

The problem with the Spanish model is the defence. It's a defender problem, not a Bannan problem.

Especially not a midfielder problem - another structural change, in addition to pitch technology, are the rule changes, that advantage the skilled players in the midfield tackle zone. 

Rather than dive in at speed (Wes Brown style) large players are now encouraged by the rules to stay on their feet. There they are in a position to get rings run around them by the low-centre of gravity players like Bannan.

The rules protecting the skilled players have been around for a tad longer than Bannan has been playing Con.

Also to say that the only difference between the German and Spanish models is the defence is ignoring one of the major differences, physical strength (this also means the midfield).

Now Im not saying he wont make it, but to say his style is the future is misplaced, his style was the future 10 years ago.

The rules protecting the skilled players have been around for a tad longer than Bannan has been playing Con.

Also to say that the only difference between the German and Spanish models is the defence is ignoring one of the major differences, physical strength (this also means the midfield).

Now Im not saying he wont make it, but to say his style is the future is misplaced, his style was the future 10 years ago.

The laws are well-established but every year the referees get more strict in their application. 

Midfield is the most fluid area of the pitch, where physical strength and power matters least, stamina most. Compare marathon runners to 100m sprinters you get the idea.

So, imagine two Bayern Munich squads playing each other. Which side wins? The side that fields the squad with the fastest defenders.

You can't have two sides giving up possession to hit the other on the counter-attack. It's a mathematical impossibility. The side that wins the game will have 100m sprinters playing CB.

He is however still not good enough for the Premier League... my best mate, a Palace fan, was at the game tonight. His assessment of Bannan is:

"The problem with Bannan isn't Bannan himself it is other peoples opinions of him. He played ok tonight, but only got an assist cos he screwed up a corner. He tried hard and ran around a lot but his general passing was awful. Despite this people think he is something special? Collins was on a different level tonight and clearly man of the match."

The problem with Bannan isn't Bannan himself it is other peoples opinions of him.

Okay, so he doesn't have criticism of Bannan's game. It's just he doesn't like me?

He knows nothing of you. He can't comprehend then few fans who wanted to give him man of the match the other day for the simple cross, which came from a rolling ball and after screwing up a corner, whilst his all round passing was very poor.

got an assist cos he screwed up a corner

Bannan is one of the most accurate corner takers in the league. By January last year he was the most accurate in the league. The more relevant fact is, he created the goal with an impossible to defend angled clip to the far post. 

Taken from the same stats which have been proven to be nonsense time and time again. Change the record Con... 0 assists from about a million corners. You do the math.

He tried hard and ran around a lot 

You recognise that.

I do. Though if I paid someone £20k a week this really would be the very least that I expected. I wouldn't really try to sell it as a positive.

his general passing was awful.

He created two goal-scoring opportunities during the game.

But his general passing was awful... 

Collins was on a different level tonight

good 1 :crylaugh: 

At the match were you Con? It'd be your first ever game of seeing Bannan if you were, though I suspect you weren't.

Edited by AstonMartin82

Just checking out your favorite site on the internet Con...

For Bannan's best game ever, he was still only the 8th best player on the pitch.

It would also appear that dismissing Collins performance in the manner in which you did was probably very naive and proves further that seeing a game in person provides a much better basis on which to form an opinion.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720683/Live

Just checking out your favorite site on the internet Con...

For Bannan's best game ever, he was still only the 8th best player on the pitch.

It would also appear that dismissing Collins performance in the manner in which you did was probably very naive and proves further that seeing a game in person provides a much better basis on which to form an opinion.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/720683/Live

That site only matters when it backs up Cons claims. Otherwise it matters not a lot. The nature of a true troll and I think a member who was once banned here.

If we're going to throw around accusations of "troll" I should point out that trolls often put up "straw men", reply to statements nobody said, and defeat them in order to claim victory in an argument.

I didn't say it was Bannan's best game ever, so I have nothing to respond to. 

a whoscored rating of 7.4 compared to Crystal Palace high of 7.8 is great. you surely can't agree he is "cack" - as someone else has - after a performance like that.

Crystal Palace win again. 2-0 vs Cardiff. 

Didn't see the game but he was involved in the second goal via a "teasing cross," according to BBC live update.

Whoscored have him on 6 key passes for the match, which suggests Pulis is using him for getting the ball into the box, as he like the game played. It's working so far.

If you think about it, "Hollywood Ball" Bannan and Pulis are the perfect match.