Barry Bannan

villianusa

was getting a bit of praise from the panel on Soccer Saturday yesterday before the game

can you remember who was on that panel?

David Blunkett

• Like 2

was getting a bit of praise from the panel on Soccer Saturday yesterday before the game

can you remember who was on that panel?

David Blunkett

And Stevie Wonder. 

bbc football page's photoshop for the Palace - West Ham includes Ravel Morrison, Kevin Nolan, Dwight Gayle and ... wait for it ... drum rolls ... Barry Bannan.

23tp0dj.png

Giving it his usual "I am Champion" pose. 

Seems to have hit some good form for Palace, fair play to him.

He had lost his way here so still no issues with selling him.

To be fair, he didn't. When he started the game, Villa had a very good record. We would have been much higher up the table, statistically, if he had played every game.

Nice assist. He's put some dangerous balls in so far. Done well. Seems to enjoy being a relatively big fish in a small pond. Apologies for any offence caused :-P

To be fair, he didn't. When he started the game, Villa had a very good record. We would have been much higher up the table, statistically, if he had played every game.

Again with the statistics-drivel.

What you are claiming, based on your incredibly small pool of results, is that Bannan was the only variable counting for our success. You have not taken into consideration the teams we played, the grounds we played at, the injuries we had/they had on the day, our form, other stars in the game, Bannan's real effect on the game and so on and so forth. If Bannan scores an own-goal and gets red-carded and we still win due to an amazing effort by our other players - that will still stand as a success in your books so to speak. It takes 6-7 good players to win a match, the rest can either be well average or plain poor, but the team can win the game regardless. Other players made us win games last season, it had nothing to do with Barry Bannan. If he was that good, he would play more matches. Simple.

Bannan is/was a very limited footballer and that is why he is playing for Crystal Palace. Not Man Utd, not Liverpool, not Everton and not even Aston Villa or Swansea. His only asset, as far as I can give him credit for, is that he has confidence in his passing. He can whip a cross and hit a long-ball over 60 yards, but I have seen countless players in the lower divisions doing exactly that and be crap at everything else. I am not saying he is an effective passer/match-winner, because his vital statistics (which is assists and goals) are very poor. You might argue against that, saying that a player can be very good (like Michael Carrick) without the goals and the assists, but again, he plays for Manchester United and not Crystal Palace like Barry Bannan.

If you are a good player you will get your reward, the system is pretty much perfect in that way. His reward is Crystal Palace and the Championship next season, and I really, really doubt that another Premier League-club will want to take him onboard.

Con, when I talk about losing his way here...I'm also talking about off the field. Fleeing after drunkenly crashing his car, the various reports we used to get on here of him drinking in Molloys' up Sutton, me actually bumping into him in coral bookies by the Yenton in Wylde Green one afternoon.

I don't think he has the drive or personal discipline to become a top player but if he's sorted himself out down in London then fair enough.

Behind KEA and Bacuna for goals and assists.

Kill that C.I.

Bannan's influence: crossing, set pieces, passing, creating chances, positioning, defensive tracking, leadership. The last one is important. He's vocal and encourages the other players and never hides.