Barry Bannan

villianusa

I have to say, I rate Bannan and feel there is a very good player in there.  (Fair play to Con for backing up his convictions on this one, by the way.) It has been a tough baptism for Bannan being thrown into the side during such a turbulent spell in the club's recent history - invariably players like Bannan tend to suffer under such circumstances.  I think some of the criticism of the player has been well over the top around here (bordering on the unjustifiably personal) and the fact that some folk went over onto another club's board to run the player down was utterly embarrassing and a very poor reflection on Villa supporters as a whole. The whole thing has reminded me of how bitchy girls behave at school when they gang up on someone who is prettier or smarter - just downright spiteful.  

The need to routinely fall into such a pattern of wolf-pack, victim-hunting behaviour suggests huge insecurity on the part of the aggressors - not only that but the outpourings of said aggressors clogs up a very decent forum with infantile, tedious, hard-to-stomach shit.  How many people have been driven away from this forum because of this childish drivel?  If you want to keep running our players down or tipping us for relegation after a couple of games, join a SHA forum and "debate" to your hearts' content.  Or save it for the playground or pub or wherever it is you meet up in the flesh.

I have to say, I rate Bannan and feel there is a very good player in there.  (Fair play to Con for backing up his convictions on this one, by the way.) It has been a tough baptism for Bannan being thrown into the side during such a turbulent spell in the club's recent history - invariably players like Bannan tend to suffer under such circumstances.  I think some of the criticism of the player has been well over the top around here (bordering on the unjustifiably personal) and the fact that some folk went over onto another club's board to run the player down was utterly embarrassing and a very poor reflection on Villa supporters as a whole. The whole thing has reminded me of how bitchy girls behave at school when they gang up on someone who is prettier or smarter - just downright spiteful.  

The need to routinely fall into such a pattern of wolf-pack, victim-hunting behaviour suggests huge insecurity on the part of the aggressors - not only that but the outpourings of said aggressors clogs up a very decent forum with infantile, tedious, hard-to-stomach shit.  How many people have been driven away from this forum because of this childish drivel?  If you want to keep running our players down or tipping us for relegation after a couple of games, join a SHA forum and "debate" to your hearts' content.  Or save it for the playground or pub or wherever it is you meet up in the flesh.

I think you'll find 40,000 of us normally meet up in the flesh at Villa Park.

Also, it is not childish to have an opinion on Bannan, whether that opinion is good, bad or indifferent. An opinion is an opinion.

Is your opinion going to change peoples minds about Bannan?

It certainly won't be changing mine.

Anyone who thinks Bannan will be sold to a Championship team is living on another planet, smoking the strongest, hard drug out of two orifices whilst chugging down a rainbow cocktail medications with hallucinogenic side-effects all at the same time.

Prepare to be surprised who buys Bannan.

Do you want to be one of those people who everyone listens to and respects?

Now is your last chance to say "I didn't want to sell Bannan, I was one of the Villa fans who rated him."

Also, it is not childish to have an opinion on Bannan, whether that opinion is good, bad or indifferent. An opinion is an opinion.

It's not about having an opinion.  It's the constant picking on a Villa player (who is bound to read this forum) and the remorseless ganging up on anyone who has the audacity to defend him.

If you read back through the thread CHW the majority of comments concerning Bannan are actually directed at the ridiculous assumptions by one particular poster and to the best of my knowledge Bannan has never been made a scapegoat for anything. 

Anyone who thinks Bannan will be sold to a Championship team is living on another planet, smoking the strongest, hard drug out of two orifices whilst chugging down a rainbow cocktail medications with hallucinogenic side-effects all at the same time.

Now is your last chance to say "I didn't want to sell Bannan, I was one of the Villa fans who rated him."

Like you are?  :blink:

Notwithstanding my earlier posts I think this is stretching it a bit (lot).  He could well end up at a Championship side, but like you I think he may do ok elsewhere.

• Like 1

Notwithstanding my earlier posts I think this is stretching it a bit (lot).  He could well end up at a Championship side, but like you I think he may do ok elsewhere.

I'm glad you understand our plight :D

What club in their right mind would purchase him? Maybe we can sell him off to some Scottish side? 

I'm sure a champions league side will pick him up 

PSG or LA Galaxy now Beckham has retired?

If you read back through the thread CHW the majority of comments concerning Bannan are actually directed at the ridiculous assumptions by one particular poster and to the best of my knowledge Bannan has never been made a scapegoat for anything. 

I'm not going to get involved in a long winded debate searching through old posts for the often demanded 'evidence,' but I can't believe you don't think Bannan has been a scapegoat this season?  The amount of times I've seen him slated, sometimes justifiably but many times not.   Someone called him a useless word removed just two pages ago.

For the record I am fairly ambivalent to Bannan - had high hopes for him at the beginning and do think he has talent.

However he has rarely if ever showed it in Prem and I am not sure he will.

I think a lot on here exaggerate his crapness and without a doubt CON you do exaggerate his greatness (hence this thread being over 300 pages long).

Never a starting CM at the moment but I am not too bothered either if he's a squad player but if he leaves we can get someone else so on balance I'm in favour of that

Edited by villaglint

CON would it be possible for you to put together a YouTube video which illuminates the world (and prospective buyers) to exactly how good he is

I doubt a two second video displaying his 2 yard pass and knock on against the post will get many viewers

Edited by AshVilla

I'm not going to get involved in a long winded debate searching through old posts for the often demanded 'evidence,' but I can't believe you don't think Bannan has been a scapegoat this season?  The amount of times I've seen him slated, sometimes justifiably but many times not.   Someone called him a useless word removed just two pages ago.

There's a difference between commenting on a players performance and making him a scapegoat for something. For example i haven't seen anyone blaming Bannan for losing a game or blaming him for our awful season.

But like you say it isn't worth having a prolonged debate about the subject.

It's not about having an opinion.  It's the constant picking on a Villa player (who is bound to read this forum) and the remorseless ganging up on anyone who has the audacity to defend him.

To confirm my point - That is your opinion on this topic.

Can I live with it? Yes quite comfortably. Do I disagree with it?

Yes! Because that is my prerogative..

I have to say, I rate Bannan and feel there is a very good player in there. (Fair play to Con for backing up his convictions on this one, by the way.) It has been a tough baptism for Bannan being thrown into the side during such a turbulent spell in the club's recent history - invariably players like Bannan tend to suffer under such circumstances. I think some of the criticism of the player has been well over the top around here (bordering on the unjustifiably personal) and the fact that some folk went over onto another club's board to run the player down was utterly embarrassing and a very poor reflection on Villa supporters as a whole. The whole thing has reminded me of how bitchy girls behave at school when they gang up on someone who is prettier or smarter - just downright spiteful.

The need to routinely fall into such a pattern of wolf-pack, victim-hunting behaviour suggests huge insecurity on the part of the aggressors - not only that but the outpourings of said aggressors clogs up a very decent forum with infantile, tedious, hard-to-stomach shit. How many people have been driven away from this forum because of this childish drivel? If you want to keep running our players down or tipping us for relegation after a couple of games, join a SHA forum and "debate" to your hearts' content. Or save it for the playground or pub or wherever it is you meet up in the flesh.

you say it's childish drivel and then you say go and join a SHA forum, talk about being childish yourself.

Some people don't think he's a good player but you do, fair enough! Con over exaggerates his ability and some fans over exaggerates his inability. The people in the middle who, a lot, argue against Con and some others have an opinion that Bannan is not good enough and ability is the standard of championship level. That is our opinion after watching many many games.

Me wanting better for Villa and feeling that Bannan shouldn't be near the first team is my opinion and I make no apologies if you feel this is ruining him. Lambert doesn't play him anymore so I assume that affects Bannan's confidence even more and I assume Lambert feels he's not good enough for us either....so your little tirade was very one sided and a little extreme just because some of us don't agree with your opinion.

Edited by nick76

I have to say, I rate Bannan and feel there is a very good player in there. (Fair play to Con for backing up his convictions on this one, by the way.) It has been a tough baptism for Bannan being thrown into the side during such a turbulent spell in the club's recent history - invariably players like Bannan tend to suffer under such circumstances. I think some of the criticism of the player has been well over the top around here (bordering on the unjustifiably personal) and the fact that some folk went over onto another club's board to run the player down was utterly embarrassing and a very poor reflection on Villa supporters as a whole. The whole thing has reminded me of how bitchy girls behave at school when they gang up on someone who is prettier or smarter - just downright spiteful.

The need to routinely fall into such a pattern of wolf-pack, victim-hunting behaviour suggests huge insecurity on the part of the aggressors - not only that but the outpourings of said aggressors clogs up a very decent forum with infantile, tedious, hard-to-stomach shit. How many people have been driven away from this forum because of this childish drivel? If you want to keep running our players down or tipping us for relegation after a couple of games, join a SHA forum and "debate" to your hearts' content. Or save it for the playground or pub or wherever it is you meet up in the flesh.

you say it's childish drivel and then you say go and join a SHA forum, talk about being childish yourself.

Some people don't think he's a good player but you do, fair enough! Con over exaggerates his ability and some fans over exaggerates his inability. The people in the middle who, a lot, argue against Con and some others have an opinion that Bannan is not good enough and ability is the standard of championship level. That is our opinion after watching many many games.

Me wanting better for Villa and feeling that Bannan shouldn't be near the first team is my opinion and I make no apologies if you feel this is ruining him. Lambert doesn't play him anymore so I assume that affects Bannan's confidence even more and I assume Lambert feels he's not good enough for us either....so your little tirade was very one sided and a little extreme just because some of us don't agree with your opinion.

Now this opinion I do agree with.....................As is my prerogative :)