Barry Bannan

villianusa

Con, you said exactly this

The Bannan hatred is relegating Aston Villa

Can you honestly not see how this could be interpreted as PFE?

What does PFE mean? I can tell you now I'm not PFE whatever that means.

Con, I'm not getting at you here, just interested to know.

Have you actually watched Bannan play first team football in the flesh?

I have seen him play live as a representation of a moving image on a flat screen.

Latest game I watched was the Scotland match,

You usually know what he was trying to do with the passes that go with great technique and purpose straight to the opposition player.

Con, you said exactly this

The Bannan hatred is relegating Aston Villa

Can you honestly not see how this could be interpreted as PFE?

What does PFE mean? I can tell you now I'm not PFE whatever that means.

Con, I'm not getting at you here, just interested to know.

Have you actually watched Bannan play first team football in the flesh?

I have seen him play live as a representation of a moving image on a flat screen.

Latest game I watched was the Scotland match,

You usually know what he was trying to do with the passes that go with great technique and purpose straight to the opposition player.

So no then.

And therein lies the very basis of your opinion, the fact that you haven't actually seen him play vs all the people on here who have watched 90%+ of his appearances.

Oh and unless I'm being a bit special I cannot make sense of the last sentence of your post, it seems like you're ridiculing him?

So no then.

And therein lies the very basis of your opinion, the fact that you haven't actually seen him play vs all the people on here who have watched 90%+ of his appearances.

Oh and unless I'm being a bit special I cannot make sense of the last sentence of your post, it seems like you're ridiculing him?

Not ridiculing him. You are just surprised that I have a balanced opinion and can see the funny side of his errors.

I've not watched Bannan in non-digital medium but that does not handicap one from being able to draw conclusions on how a player plays, if you watch enough games and you cross check with statistics.

Con, I like the faith you have in one of our players.

But unfortunately, actually watching him play will give you more of an insight into his quality rather than basing your opinion on statistics.

He's a very average player and is far from the standard you think he is.

Keep fighting the fight though, mate!

I've not watched Bannan in non-digital medium but that does not handicap one from being able to draw conclusions on how a player plays, if you watch enough games and you cross check with statistics.

What do you think scouts are for, then?

So no then.

Not ridiculing him. You are just surprised that I have a balanced opinion and can see the funny side of his errors.

I disagree entirely sorry.

By any chance Con, have you been watching the film 'Moneyball' lately?

Edited by bannedfromHandV

Only reason he will stay is if we can't get rid.

That`s gotta be a great feeling. At least we know when his eventually 2 subs comes for the season that he will give his all. Guess that is a good thing.

Bannan's positioning was excellent against Croatia. Nothing wrong with his defensive positioning.

You said yourself you didn't even watch the game! Lmao. Con you are full of total utter shit.

Try reading. I said I watched the game, and even gave a report after the match.

Missed some of the televised play, including the only goal, but I watched the majority of the match and Bannan's performance in it.

It's not the same stuff over again.

The national manager of Scotland has heaped praise on one of the Villa players. That's interesting.

The only reason it's not interesting is if you have already made up your mind about the player commented on.

He said he was good in training, not in any match.

It's almost that he seemed surprise that he wasn't as shit as he looks in the games he has seen of him. And herewith lie the problem. Excellent player in a knock about or a five a side where it's quite casual but put him into a pressured environment and he simply can't handle the pressure. It's this pressure which is why he gives the ball away so much and gets caught out of position so often.

Good luck to him, but the sooner he is gone the better.

1. On your reasoning against "crossing accuracy", could that player have been repeatedly getting lucky, due to the quality of opposition and the weather? The keeper dived the wrong way. The wind blew the ball into the net. Someone else in the team is setting him up for tap-ins. You can infer from a crossing accuracy of 45% that for a period that individual was a prolific crosser who set up a lot of chances.

2. I would say the assist statistic is very unreliable. These only show the passes that were lucky enough to be converted by a scorer into a goal. Lots of great passes are made that are never scored on - open goals are missed. This is where the "key passes" statistic comes in. Bannan had the most key passes of all our midfield. That is a significant statistic, far more than the assist count which is unreliable.

3. Passing % does not tell you whether the passes being made are easy or hard. The easiest passes are short and backwards. The harder passes are forward and long. If you have a player who plays the ball forward and long you cannot directly compare his passing % to another player who more often plays short and backwards. 

4. Bannan's start win% ratio simply shows he has had a positive influence on the team. It's a very broad-brush statistic that you would use in combination with other statistics when drawing an impression of a player.

2. Number of assists is to a degree useful as goals are the key thing in games. But it has to add to an opinion on a player, not be the driver of an opinion. 

You keep banging on about the accurate crosses and state that it is a statistical anomaly as to why he hasn't had more assists and use this key pass statistic as the reason, but he is shit at that as well.

The site that you dribble over every night has Bannan with one of the highest "accurate" crosses per game yet one of the lowest "key pass" per game stats. If the key stats are more important than crosses why haven't you mentioned how shit he is at them? It is a rhetorical question. It's because you are biased and unbalanced.

Edited by AstonMartin82

The key passes per game stat isn't a well constructed one. They should do key passes per minute played.

6 of Bannan's "games" were substitute appearances, and in 6 of the games he started he was subbed before 80 minutes.

If "game" more often meant 90 minutes his key passes per game would be leading the team. Bannan leads the team on key passes per minute.

Bannan was often subbed because he is the least defensive midfielder. 

The key passes per game stat isn't a well constructed one. They should do key passes per minute played.

6 of Bannan's "games" were substitute appearances, and in 6 of the games he started he was subbed before 80 minutes.

If "game" more often meant 90 minutes his key passes per game would be leading the team. Bannan leads the team on key passes per minute.

Bannan was often subbed because he is the least defensive midfielder. 

Bannan leads the team on key cock ups. More game time means more cock up time. If "game" more often meant 90 minutes it would have meant diabolical Bannan cock ups leading to guaranteed Relegation.

Bannan leads the team on key cock ups. More game time means more cock up time. If "game" more often meant 90 minutes it would have meant diabolical Bannan cock ups leading to guaranteed Relegation.

You should know not to engage with me on statistics if you are just going to make yours up.

Shall we agree that turnovers of possession and being dispossessed are cock-ups?

Frequency of cock-up 2012-13 season

Once every...

Westwood 76 minutes

Delph 42 minutes

Sylla 31 minutes

Bannan 59 minutes

El Ahmadi 52 minutes

Bannan was not the worst for cock-ups. 

I feel sorry for both Bannan and Con. 

Bannan because he's become a scapegoat for whatever reason - the fact that he's small or that he got caught drink driving or whatever, despite showing quite a lot of ability and potential in a season where he's had his first real dabble at first team football. 

Con because he just doesn't realise that what he's doing is ultimately pointless. Kind of reminds me of myself on this site about 8 years back.