Barry Bannan

villianusa

I am really struggling to see where you are going with this and in all honesty I don't think people are really interested in reading this on a public forum. I've been to 6 of their games this season and read, see and discuss a lot about them with colleagues, family and friends. Now, if you don't have anything worthy to write may I suggest we stop this incredibly tedious conversation here?

It was relevant because you kept reminding us how you are judging Bannan over '90 minutes' rather than 'MOTD clips'. So it was worth establishing how many Palace games you have actually watched. Not sure why you are getting so agitated really...

No, this does not come off like that at all. Just another case of the hostility on this forum.

I have to agree, watched a couple of palace matches myself and from those odd moments, bannan is mostly what he was here. He does some nice things but that motd sums it up. He always got more stick on here because Con hyped him constantly, which got people talking. At least here. 

He has done alright for palace, not their best but not the worst either. 

Still the same player. When he's played on the right for them it's the same thing. Static and waits to receive the the ball and then whips in an in swinger as long as he's not marked.

In the hole he struggles to create unless it's on the break and he just releases the ball as early as possible.

His performances can be criticised in many ways but the trend line is upwards, to even better performances.

Have to remember during a game it's often what an attacking player like Bannan gets right that matters most, not what he gets wrong. 

If you look at the end of game stats for Bale and Ronaldo, they have about 3 turnovers and 3 dispossessed. The reason for that is they were  involved in the game and trying things. They are considered great players for what they got right during a game, not what went wrong.

I am really struggling to see where you are going with this and in all honesty I don't think people are really interested in reading this on a public forum. I've been to 6 of their games this season and read, see and discuss a lot about them with colleagues, family and friends. Now, if you don't have anything worthy to write may I suggest we stop this incredibly tedious conversation here?

You should be a politician 

• Like 1

His performances can be criticised in many ways but the trend line is upwards, to even better performances.

Have to remember during a game it's often what an attacking player like Bannan gets right that matters most, not what he gets wrong.

If you look at the end of game stats for Bale and Ronaldo, they have about 3 turnovers and 3 dispossessed. The reason for that is they were involved in the game and trying things. They are considered great players for what they got right during a game, not what went wrong.

Happy New Year Con.

May you continue to entertain the masses and bring laughter into my life in 2014 in the same way you have in 2013.

• Like 1

Dropped for the match against Norwich today.

I doubt he was dropped today after playing so well against Man City. He really did have a good game that day.

He is being saved for the FA Cup game against West Brom.

In the end, looked like Palace needed him. Just got a draw, and only from a penalty.

I doubt he was dropped today after playing so well against Man City. He really did have a good game that day.

In the end, looked like Palace needed him. Just got a draw, and only from a penalty.

11690183684_61a4d7b9ef_o.png

Palace are not prioritising the FA Cup over Premier League survival. He was dropped... he has been poor very often this season. Like last.

They didn't "just" get a draw... a few people I know who were at the game have stated Palace were all over Norwich and should have won the game.

11690183684_61a4d7b9ef_o.png

Didn't do anything wrong. 90% passing accuracy, 3 key passes. The reason why he's only 6.6 is Palace had very little possession against Man City so he didn't have much of the ball to score more points than that. He's not a defensive player so did not rack up points with defensive play.

BTW that chart shows he scored higher than Fernandinho.

Edited by Con

Seeing as everybody here loves WhoScored ratings. Since Pulis has been appointed, Bannan has averaged 6.86 which is a higher average then any of our midfielders bar Delph. The basic fact that Pulis has got more out of Bannan then Lambert remains true. 

Edited by Isa

Fair enough, but to pull out a sample size of 8 games where Palace's have been on a hot streak and Villa on a very cold streak it is naturally going add a lot of volatility into the figures. If you go back over a more suitable length of time he would still be the lowest scoring midfielder in Villa's squad.

Sometimes a player just doesn't fit at a club... Bannan was given plenty of chances here and never took them despite all of the promise that he showed in the Villa youth team. Perhaps things will turn out better for him under Pulis but personally I'm just relieved that he is no longer at Villa because he was very clearly Villa's weakest link in midfield and even if he fulfilled his maximum potential it wouldn't be good enough for Villa but would be for Palace.

Right now I can't wait for Lambert to sign a Jedinak type player and replace El Ahmadi who is also out of his depth in this league in my opinion.

That is true. My point was he is playing quite well right now but I agree we should probably wait to nearer the end of the season to make a full judgement.

I agree about Jedinak though. Just what we need in midfield though he plays more in Westwood's position rather than KEA's. It would be nice to have a DM who gets stuck in and protects the defence.

Edited by Isa