Barry Bannan

villianusa

He is however still not good enough for the Premier League... my best mate, a Palace fan, was at the game tonight. His assessment of Bannan is:

"The problem with Bannan isn't Bannan himself it is other peoples opinions of him. He played ok tonight, but only got an assist cos he screwed up a corner. He tried hard and ran around a lot but his general passing was awful. Despite this people think he is something special? Collins was on a different level tonight and clearly man of the match."

The problem with Bannan isn't Bannan himself it is other peoples opinions of him.

Okay, so he doesn't have criticism of Bannan's game. It's just he doesn't like me?

got an assist cos he screwed up a corner

Bannan is one of the most accurate corner takers in the league. By January last year he was the most accurate in the league. The more relevant fact is, he created the goal with an impossible to defend angled clip to the far post. 

He tried hard and ran around a lot 

You recognise that.

his general passing was awful.

He created two goal-scoring opportunities during the game.

Collins was on a different level tonight

good 1 :crylaugh: 

Thought he played well tonight. But a decent shift in, put in some quality balls. We could do with someone who could cross balls like that. For me, Bannans best position would be behind the striker in the no,10 role whilst roaming out wide. No manager seems to play him in that position which I find strange.

i think he played in Palace in a attacking midfielder role.

Con, are you really dribbling on about accurate crossing stats even though they have been proven to be absolute nonsense about 20 times in the last couple of months?

He got another assist tonight... in 3 months at Palace he has done more than he did in 3 years at Villa. He is however still not good enough for the Premier League... my best mate, a Palace fan, was at the game tonight. His assessment of Bannan is:

"The problem with Bannan isn't Bannan himself it is other peoples opinions of him. He played ok tonight, but only got an assist cos he screwed up a corner. He tried hard and ran around a lot but his general passing was awful. Despite this people think he is something special? Collins was on a different level tonight and clearly man of the match."

Very strange because I only saw one misplaced pass myself. He also should have had another assist when an easy header was missed from a brilliant Bannan cross. 

• Like 1

Cons knobbing of Bannan is based purely on the shite football he played at Villa, pure revisionism.

Keep your knobbings to yourself.

Bannan's performances last year helped the team survive. Take him out the team, we could have been relegated.

His crossing accuracy is based on someone winning the ball, which Benteke did a lot of last season. If we had a bunch of small players who never won the ball from a corner then the crossers stat would be 0% but that doesn't mean his crosses or corners are bad.

It's disappointing but certainly makes it a fun read that neither side in this debate can cede even an inch of ground to the other because it has gone on so long and views have become so entrenched. Bannan definitely had his moments for Villa but ultimately they were too few and far between. We got more than decent money for him and it was the right move for both his career and for the club. He seems to be at a club now that needs him and he appears to be liking the more senior role he has been given there and he's on a good run of form. If (and it's a big if...) he can be more consistent with his long passes and if he can be cleverer in his choice of pass as he gets older then he can be an effective assist-maker because he definitely does have good vision. He'll never set the world alight and if he doesn't improve his decision making he mightn't even stay in the Premier League long term, but if he does then he will and he'll be a decent Premier League footballer. It's silly that we've now got to the stage in here where you can't give him credit for a performance or criticise a performance without being seen as some kind of fanboi. But it doesn't help that the aforementioned 'sides' are as black and as white as you could possibly be on him either.

I believe it was a MON-Cahill-like error to sell Bannan.

Time will tell whether you're right or not. The reason I think you're wrong is because Bannan had plenty of time and chances to prove his worth at Villa. Five seasons and 61 appearances and then we sold him as a known quantity for £2m. Cahill on the other hand was plucked from our reserves for £5m after a handful of very impressive first team starts. If Bannan plays in the Champions League for an English Premier League team I'll swim to England for my next trip to Villa Park.
  • Like 3

Well he certainly won't be playing champions league football for Palace. No it cant be compared to selling Cahill. Having said that his replacement Curtis Davis has been playing very well for Hull this season. He had plenty of game time under Lambert. Something must have happened though with them because he was  left out of the squad altogether at the end of the season. I want him to do well because I have always liked him and know he has ability. We saw that occasionally like against Man U at home in the 2-2 draw.

Well he certainly won't be playing champions league football for Palace. No it cant be compared to selling Cahill.

The reason I made that comparison is because Cahill initially went to Bolton and wouldn't have played in the CL for them. He got his move to Chelsea from them so while it's possible that Bannan's career path could go the same way (they both left Villa at 23 years old too), I'll don the speedos if he gets that dream move.

I'll join BOF swimming to VP if Bannan is playing champions league and it's a lot further for me!

Might want to specify, with an English Premier league team in the Champions league. Just in case he gets a move up north ;)

I was very particular because I can see him going to someone like Celtic or Rangers :D
  • Like 1

Time will tell whether you're right or not. The reason I think you're wrong is because Bannan had plenty of time and chances to prove his worth at Villa. Five seasons and 61 appearances and then we sold him as a known quantity for £2m. Cahill on the other hand was plucked from our reserves for £5m after a handful of very impressive first team starts. If Bannan plays in the Champions League for an English Premier League team I'll swim to England for my next trip to Villa Park.

I expect this to happen. That's the reason why I'm saying it's a misjudgement to sell him.

It won't happen at Palace, but they'll get the significant sell-on fee we would have got.

Of course, I don't agree with you Bannan did not "prove his worth at Villa" last season.

Also, in your attempt to build a narrative, you mischaracterised the number of times Cahill played for us as "a handful of appearances." He played 28 times, more than enough time to evaluate a player.

One difference between Bannan and Cahill you neglect to mention, Cahill joined a strong team whereas, as I've just said, the Villa team Bannan began his career at was probably the worst in their PL history.

Also, in your attempt to build a narrative, you mischaracterised the number of times Cahill played for us as "a handful of appearances." He played 28 times, more than enough time to evaluate a player.

Correction. I intentionally said a handful of starts. Not appearances.

One difference between Bannan and Cahill you neglect to mention, Cahill joined a strong team whereas, as I've just said, the Villa team Bannan began his career at was probably the worst in their PL history.

We'll be kind to wee Barry and stop just short of suggesting that he contributed in any way towards that :P

Cahill when he played for Villa was also in a team that had to fight relegation. Con, seriously, you don't do yourself any service with all this crap about Bannan. I mean, I think he's decent and far better than many others here think, but your way of going way OTT in your praising of him will just make them feel stronger that he's just shite. You almost make me think he's useless with all your praising of him.

I've checked soccerbase and actually in fairness, of his 28 league appearances, 25 of them were starts. Spread over 3 playing seasons. As you say, more than enough time for Bolton to evaluate the player and decide to give us 2.5 times more money for him 5 years ago than we got for Barry this year. But even all of that is neither here nor there. We know what Cahill has done since. We'll leave it up to Bannan to forge his career properly now. He has his chance as a settled member of a team. He'll sink or swim based on his performances now. I've outlined my forfeit if I'm wrong. What's yours Con ?

If this were 15 years ago I would agree that Bannan would have to down a division, but this is the now, not 10-15 years ago. Football has changed and more players similar to Bannan is the future. 

This statement would have held more weight 10 years ago, its back to the German machines now!