Barry Bannan

villianusa

Don't forget the drunk driving incident. That has made it easier to show "hatred" toward a player that do not achieve what we were hoping he would do.

I was a big fan when I watched stream of reserve matches against United and Villa and Bannan was the boss. But I lost the patience last season, as he did the same over and over again (overhitting corners and free kicks, being sloppy with the ball and having too many poor passes). His twitter pics from out drinking and the drunk driving history made it more easy to dislike him. If not for the last mentioned, I would probably have held him equal to Ciaran Clark, who I don't rate (/though have not given all up). 

Con has played a blinder, he has actually managed to convince people there is a hatred towards Bannan. Most of the comments about Bannan were replies to things such as;

Bannan's treatment will get us relegated.

Bannan is world class.

Bannan is good enough for champions league.

We are bullying Bannan.

A youth team players parents have read this and advised their son to leave.

Bannan is the best crosser in the country.

90% of the people have proved this wrong, some used sarcasm, some pointed out Bannan's attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

Con played a blinder though, shame you all didn't stick up for McLeish when the anger and abuse was against him, eh?

Yep

I've said it before.

The hatred in this thread is a result of Con's over enthusiasm.

If it wasn't for Con, this thread would be tiny and people would be pretty indifferent I imagine.

Con has generated the hatred that he's arguing against. It's fine work, really.

Sorry I'm late to this thread so don't know the full history. However does this mean that if I (or anyone else) was to start claiming Nathan baker was the best centre half in the world he'd be hated too. Surely one person's nonsensical posts can be ignored?

See, this is where you are showing your lateness.

It was more than a claim, he produced facts that were lies and did not back down when proven wrong, then once the conversation moved on he would produce the same stats he had been proved wrong on and not back down, then the circle continued again and again and again.

If you have a good argument for Baker being world class one day and have good, decent, proven information, I will enjoy the read.

Con even admitted he had never seen Bannan play live.

+ all of those ridiculous statements mentioned above.

the drink driving thing really started the hatred on here which is pathetic. People make mistakes thats life, nobody is perfect either was McGrath, Bosnich or Yorke for example

Being good at your sport gets you pretty much a free ride with most of your fans though doesn't it.

Con has played a blinder, he has actually managed to convince people there is a hatred towards Bannan. Most of the comments about Bannan were replies to things such as;

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

90% of the people have proved this wrong, some used sarcasm, some pointed out Bannan's attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

Con played a blinder though, shame you all didn't stick up for McLeish when the anger and abuse was against him, eh?

Yep

I've said it before.

If it wasn't for Con, this thread would be tiny and people would be pretty indifferent I imagine.

Sorry I'm late to this thread so don't know the full history. However does this mean that if I (or anyone else) was to start claiming Nathan baker was the best centre half in the world he'd be hated too. Surely one person's nonsensical posts can be ignored?

See, this is where you are showing your lateness.

It was more than a claim, he produced facts that were lies and did not back down when proven wrong, then once the conversation moved on he would produce the same stats he had been proved wrong on and not back down, then the circle continued again and again and again.

If you have a good argument for Baker being world class one day and have good, decent, proven information, I will enjoy the read.

Con even admitted he had never seen Bannan play live.

+ all of those ridiculous statements mentioned above.

But this isn't the players fault. Surely the words of a poster who was probably on a wind up from the start don't make bannan deserving of abusive name calling and hatred.

It just makes us as fans look ridiculous when a player who's come through the youth system to make a reasonable number of appearances is called such petty things.

The lad made a mistake and as it has been pointed out, if it was Benteke or McGrath everyone would offer support.

The kid is 23 and is being hounded by fans for what reason is beggers belief. He never stopped trying once he pulled the C & B shirt on. Ok he may not be good enough in most peoples eyes but does it really warrant the abuse he receives?  Frankly I find this brutal criticism embarrasing.

Shouldn't the fans abuse be distributed at certain players that don't want to move from the club cause they are happy playing in the reserves whilst picking up Hollywood wages?

• Like 2

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

Yep

I've said it before.

Well let's assume Nathan Baker performed to the level that Barry Bannan did (he's already signiifcantly better, but hypothetically speaking) yet you constantly posted about how good he was, how he was the best in the league at crossing and how he was going to sign for a champions league team, despite all the evidence in the world pointing to the fact you were wrong.

Let's assume that if anyone rationally explained why the stats you were using might be wrong or misleading you just jumped all over them and repeated the same stats over and over and over and over even though they were next to meaningless.

Let's assume that even when people tried to have a reasoned discussion with you about Nathan Baker, hell they even complimented Nathan Baker, you still shot them down and ridiculed their opinion, again despite all the evidence contradicting you.

Let's assume you posted gifs of Nathan Baker doing things that a schoolboy footballer would do 10 times a game and cited it as proof that Nathan Baker was class.

If you did ALL of that, mixed in with general delusion and invention fo things such as the legendary Scale of Hoof, then yes. I believe people would grow to hate Nathan Baker.

Luckily, as I said, Baker has already done more for this team than Bannan ever has or ever will, so it's not a comparable situation.

• Like 2

Fair enough. I think I'd grow to hate the poster more than the player but can see where you're coming from. I just don't see the need to call make personal insults towards a player who has tried his best and just been found wanting.

I am starting to think the massive overhype surrounding bannan when he first broke through may be a reason for the over criticising/abuse. A player like lichaj who broke through largely unannounced was given a lot more leeway by fans. I can see Clark getting similar treatment next year judging by the harsh criticism he is already starting to attract.

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

Yep

I've said it before.

Yep that about nails it.

Far too many people are coming into this thread late, without understanding the context of it and are passing comment and judgment on things posted in the here and now.

A lot of it is a direct response to the posts of one or two people over a prolonged period of time. That is why what is posted in this thread is a reflection of the last few hundred pages and those who have endured it rather than the wider fan base or being representative of what happens at VP.

Fair enough. I think I'd grow to hate the poster more than the player but can see where you're coming from. I just don't see the need to call make personal insults towards a player who has tried his best and just been found wanting.

The point is, the huge amount of hatred has only come around as a way to counter Con's ludicrous over estimation of Bannan's ability.

As Con's defence of Bannan grew more and more ridiculous, the hatred grew more and more ridiculous. They fed each other.

if it wasn't for Con, this thread would still contain criticism, because Bannan isn't very good. But it wouldn't be as over exaggerated as it is now.

The point is, the huge amount of hatred has only come around as a way to counter Con's ludicrous over estimation of Bannan's ability.

As Con's defence of Bannan grew more and more ridiculous, the hatred grew more and more ridiculous. They fed each other.

if it wasn't for Con, this thread would still contain criticism, because Bannan isn't very good. But it wouldn't be as over exaggerated as it is now.

Fair enough we'll agree to disagree. I can understand that the level of criticism may rise to counter ridiculous claims about his ability. I just don't see how that applies to calling bannan himself a dirty little hobbit or a turd. That's not criticism that's abuse and in my opinion that isn't justified by saying "well con said he was the best in the world." It all just seems a bit school playground to me. Criticise his ability at football all you like but why resort to personal insults and hatred?

As far as I'm concerned the sooner he goes the better just so this thread can be locked and we can be rid of the silly abuse and insults which add nothing to any discussion.

The lad made a mistake and as it has been pointed out, if it was Benteke or McGrath everyone would offer support.

The kid is 23 and is being hounded by fans for what reason is beggers belief. He never stopped trying once he pulled the C & B shirt on. Ok he may not be good enough in most peoples eyes but does it really warrant the abuse he receives?  Frankly I find this brutal criticism embarrasing.

Shouldn't the fans abuse be distributed at certain players that don't want to move from the club cause they are happy playing in the reserves whilst picking up Hollywood wages?

The issue is more down to Con's one man PR crusade to convince us all Bannan is a quality midfielder.

I think Bannan has had a fair few chances and a few times been ok, maybe even good, but mostly been very average. When he did play his set piece taking was abysmal and contributed to the reason we never scored from corners. His passing and technical ability are decent and his passion and commitment never in question, so I don't think he deserves hatred or bile. He deserves respectful sterile indifference and not a thread of 387 pages.

He may well go down a division and prove us all wrong by doing well and get a transfer back to the Premiership, but for now..................

• Like 1

Ever so slightly off topic but who really gives a shit he got done for drink driving.

I would imagine that the vast majority of people on this board have driven a vehicle whilst being over the government imposed legal limit.

Get over it, if he'd killed someone whilst drink driving then yes, throw the book at him but climb down off the high horses guys.....

• Like 1

Ever so slightly off topic but who really gives a shit he got done for drink driving.

I would imagine that the vast majority of people on this board have driven a vehicle whilst being over the government imposed legal limit.

Get over it, if he'd killed someone whilst drink driving then yes, throw the book at him but climb down off the high horses guys.....

This is ridiculous. If you honestly happily drink and drive, as you seem to have implied, I hope you get caught (and hopefully go to prison) before you hurt someone less selfish than yourself.

This seems to suggest you think drink driving is fine as long as nobody gets killed?

Wouldn't it be ironic if Bannan & Bent both end up playing away from Villa Park but for the same club next season. ie Crystal Palace.

why would that be ironic?

Don't you see it?

It would be like rain on your wedding day.

I'm sure they have, far far less though have probably done it without a license and then run away from the scene of an accident.

Oh and he was twice the legal limit, which I seriously doubt the vast majority of people on this board have done.

I don't think that sort of behaviour is okay regardless of if anyone is hurt let alone killed.

If you do, that is up to you, everyone has a different moral code but I find that sort of behaviour disgusting personally.