Barry Bannan

villianusa

I really, really don't understand all the hatred for Bannan.  I think he's got some talent, probably not enough to make it with us, but it isn't for lack of effort that I can see when he plays. 

That is the point Risso. Bannan tries his hardest. He really does. But the sad part is it just isn't good enough. He simply can't play at Premier League level. The most depressing aspect of his overall game from my pov was watching him scampering about the park looking completely out of his depth & accomplishing nothing.

Bottom Line - He's never a Villa player in a million years

This thread makes for grim reading. A player who's come through the academy and played a decent amount of games for us gets this amount of abuse. Lichaj and albrighton have played a lot worse at times so why were they not given the same treatment?

For what it's worth, I don't think he had a disastrous season and still think he'll make it at a premier league club in the future. He was by no means as bad as some on here would like to believe. A move is probably best for all parties. The 'support' of the crowd for bannan recently probably doesn't help a creative player realise his full potential.

• Like 1

This thread makes for grim reading. A player who's come through the academy and played a decent amount of games for us gets this amount of abuse. Lichaj and albrighton have played a lot worse at times so why were they not given the same treatment?

For what it's worth, I don't think he had a disastrous season and still think he'll make it at a premier league club in the future. He was by no means as bad as some on here would like to believe. A move is probably best for all parties. The 'support' of the crowd for bannan recently probably doesn't help a creative player realise his full potential.

He is not creative though is he? Thats the problem with Bannan. I agree that Allbrighton doesnt get as much stick which is strange because he is dreadful too and lives off of the fact he had 4 decent games 3 years ago!

Both are awful, both need to go.

Con has played a blinder, he has actually managed to convince people there is a hatred towards Bannan. Most of the comments about Bannan were replies to things such as;

Bannan's treatment will get us relegated.

Bannan is world class.

Bannan is good enough for champions league.

We are bullying Bannan.

A youth team players parents have read this and advised their son to leave.

Bannan is the best crosser in the country.

90% of the people have proved this wrong, some used sarcasm, some pointed out Bannan's attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

Con played a blinder though, shame you all didn't stick up for McLeish when the anger and abuse was against him, eh?

I'm not arguing that it isn't time for a move. It's more the posts celebrating the fact that one of our academy players hasn't quite made the grade which I find sad to see.

I wish him all the best anyway. He always seems to give his all and it wouldn't surprise me if he has a decent career. I certainly see more potential in bannan than lichaj who left without the celebration of fans on here.

I agree. It is sad. I don't think he is good enough for where we want to go but some of the things said about him are so sad. There is no excuse, it's petty, pathetic, and shameful. 

He is one of the academy. If we hadn't been in such a state for the last few years he probably wouldn't have been so over exposed. I think he is talented but is let down by a lack of presence and a lack of killer speed to make up for it but there are plenty of players who don't make it to the top level and they don't have to be abused as a result.

I'll put my keyboard warrior colours to the mast now and say it's this kind of inane small-minded macho bullying that makes me **** hate some supporters. 

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Con has played a blinder, he has actually managed to convince people there is a hatred towards Bannan. Most of the comments about Bannan were replies to things such as;

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

90% of the people have proved this wrong, some used sarcasm, some pointed out Bannan's attitude. Nothing wrong with that.

Con played a blinder though, shame you all didn't stick up for McLeish when the anger and abuse was against him, eh?

There does seem to be a lot of people showing definite hatred. Not just here but twitter too and at VP. 

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

There does seem to be a lot of people showing definite hatred. Not just here but twitter too and at VP. 

McLeish suffered worse, people turned their backs and didn't say how awful it was.

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

Don't mean to accuse you of anything but there are posts in here calling him a dirty little hobbit and a dirty little turd amongst other insults. Is that an attempt to prove silly statements by con wrong?

I think almost everyone accepts that it's time for bannan to go but are we now going to abuse every player that doesn't quite make it?

It's more the posts celebrating the fact that one of our academy players hasn't quite made the grade which I find sad to see.

This is just nonsense. You think everyone here wouldn't be delighted if the Scottish version Iniesta with the best crossing in the league came through our ranks?

Any perceived celebration is over the fact that an arguably overpaid footballer with what would seem to be a bad attitude who has proven to be very inefficient at fulfilling his role of creating and scoring goals whilst on the pitch might be leaving which would free up space on the wage bill for one of PL's new signings

By that I mean a player on reasonable wages who is interested in the success of the team and can actually perform well in games.

Edited by ArteSuave

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

Yep

I've said it before.

The hatred in this thread is a result of Con's over enthusiasm.

If it wasn't for Con, this thread would be tiny and people would be pretty indifferent I imagine.

Con has generated the hatred that he's arguing against. It's fine work, really.

The proposed celebration of Bannan's imminent departure is in keeping  with the mentality & evolution of the thread. In reality, from my own experience of  it, It's more tongue in cheek than in malice. Remember too, some fans are also celebrating the fact that Bannan is staying, at least for now.

This has just been a legendary thread. I think many people, especially late comers, are exasperated by it's content without being fully aware of it's evolution.

Lighten up a little,  join in the fun and you may be able to enjoy it for what it is.

That's my attitude anyway.

Where is Con?  :detect:

He's Con to Blackburn because nobody told him the talks broke down ;)

Edited by villa-revolution

It's more the posts celebrating the fact that one of our academy players hasn't quite made the grade which I find sad to see.

This is just nonsense. You think everyone here wouldn't be delighted if the Scottish version Iniesta with the best crossing in the league came through our ranks?

Any perceived celebration is over the fact that an arguably overpaid footballer with what would seem to be a bad attitude who has proven to be very inefficient at fulfilling his role of creating and scoring goals whilst on the pitch might be leaving which would free up space on the wage bill for one of PL's new signings

By that I mean a player on reasonable wages who is interested in the success of the team and can actually perform well in games.

He played a part in over half of our league games last year and is believed to be on about £20k a week. We have bent on at least 3 times that who played nowhere near as much. I wouldn't put bannan in the top 5 overpaid players at the club.

Both bannan and bent have been replaced by better players lambert has bought (Westwood/sylla and benteke). Why does bent leave with our blessings but bannan is a dirty little hobbit?

Bannan is world class.

We are bullying Bannan.

Yep

I've said it before.

The hatred in this thread is a result of Con's over enthusiasm.

If it wasn't for Con, this thread would be tiny and people would be pretty indifferent I imagine.

Con has generated the hatred that he's arguing against. It's fine work, really.

Sorry I'm late to this thread so don't know the full history. However does this mean that if I (or anyone else) was to start claiming Nathan baker was the best centre half in the world he'd be hated too. Surely one person's nonsensical posts can be ignored?

Both bannan and bent have been replaced by better players lambert has bought (Westwood/sylla and benteke). Why does bent leave with our blessings but bannan is a dirty little hobbit?

Ha, you have a point to an extent but I think the fact that Bent saved us from relegation, performs his (limited) role well when picked and he didn't publicly sulk after our most important win last season has something to do with it.

For the record, neither go with my blessing but I certainly don't wish them any misfortune when they do go.