Barry Bannan

villianusa

3 year contract, 1 million a year + 1 million transfer fee = £4 million total outlay.

Very good value. He's got Premier League and International experience and all the talent in the world. Just needs a run in the side and some form.

Absolute no-brainer. 

Well i agree about the Bannan - no-brainer part 

His passing is very decisive. When he gets it decisively on target he's going to be a machine.

This is quite telling. You're basically admitting that when this 23 year old (24 in December) finally learns to pass with accuracy, he'll be a machine. You don't think he'd have learned to pass by now? You really think his accuracy will improve from this point onwards? I think you're beginning to see what everyone else's problem is with Bazza. He gives the ball away too much for a top flight player. At this level with his style it's all about possession. And it's why not only has no-one above us gone to nick such a stellar talent, but Villa have also now decided he can find employment elsewhere.
  • Like 1

His passing is very decisive. When he gets it decisively on target he's going to be a machine.

This is quite telling. You're basically admitting that when this 23 year old (24 in December) finally learns to pass with accuracy, he'll be a machine. You don't think he'd have learned to pass by now? You really think his accuracy will improve from this point onwards? I think you're beginning to see what everyone else's problem is with Bazza. He gives the ball away too much for a top flight player. At this level with his style it's all about possession. And it's why not only has no-one above us gone to nick such a stellar talent, but Villa have also now decided he can find employment elsewhere.

I know this thread has become a bit of a standing joke, but like you it seems BOF I'm genuinely confused as to whether I'm meant to take Con serious or not. Little comments like the one highlighted above, basically suggesting that he's not yet good enough but that when he is good enough he'll be good enough, lead me to wonder whether we have been trolled.

See I don't think Bannan is a bad player, in the right side with a fresh start he may well make it at a lower/mid table side with lower expectations than our own. A Sunderland, a Hull or a Cardiff. Perhaps. Though I think he'd be better off dropping down a division myself, or up in Scotland. That doesn't make him "shit", just not good enough, or right, for us.

I think that's a fairly balanced view. But then you get Con... If he isn't trolling, it's rather disturbing.

I know this thread has become a bit of a standing joke, but like you it seems BOF I'm genuinely confused as to whether I'm meant to take Con serious or not. Little comments like the one highlighted above, basically suggesting that he's not yet good enough but that when he is good enough he'll be good enough, lead me to wonder whether we have been trolled.

See I don't think Bannan is a bad player, in the right side with a fresh start he may well make it at a lower/mid table side with lower expectations than our own. A Sunderland, a Hull or a Cardiff. Perhaps. Though I think he'd be better off dropping down a division myself, or up in Scotland. That doesn't make him "shit", just not good enough, or right, for us.

I think that's a fairly balanced view. But then you get Con... If he isn't trolling, it's rather disturbing.

Yes i agree with this. He needs a new start at a new club. I think he could fill a function at another club. Kinda like Luke Moore at Swansea

I've never spoken to him, he's walked in and tried to go to front of the bar to be served and people let him just because of who he is! Frustrating I don't care who you are the beer comes first lol

But if/when I see him ill give him a Cardiff shirt and tell him that it's from the lads at VT

A possible reason they let him go first is maybe because they are drinking Magners & therefore maybe they are secretly hoping he gets totally pissed out of his skull, leading to an even quicker exit out of the Villa Park revolving door & sold on by Lambert. You see there's method in their Magners. :D Plus, it's probably the only time he'll ever get 3 pts :P;)

If you want to give him a shirt from the lads of VT make sure  it's a small heath alliance one that some brave soul found discarded in the shit houses of small heath (The Sty)

Oh yeah & another thing..................Don't forget to wash your hands ;):)

I'm not saying he never gets his passing on target. I do accept he has games when his incisive passing is incisively to the opposition. Why I say it in that way is because that's different to just random bad passing. He thinks out his passing. What he needs is form, and while he shouldn't need to have a team built around him, it is more helpful if you're coming into a team that suits your style than one that does not.

I absolutely think he will improve because as I've said before his performance last season wasn't bad at all and more importantly he always gave 100% so is still hungry to improve.

A measure of his performance is that the team was more successful when he played than when he didn't, so far from 'costing' Villa, last season Bannan was a bonus.

His in play passing was hot and cold, but his crossing and corners were consistent, for a time the most accurate in the league. Yes, you might criticise some of the corners for being floaters but Westwood put some of those in too and it's the manager's/coach's decision what style of corner is used during the game. The set piece taker only does what is practised in training. Bannan did that excellently and was unlucky not to get an assist.

Sometimes you do need luck.

Edited by Con

I'm not saying he never gets his passing on target. I do accept he has games when his incisive passing is incisively to the opposition. Why I say it in that way is because that's different to just random bad passing. He thinks out his passing. What he needs is form, and while he shouldn't need to have a team built around him, it is more helpful if you're coming into a team that suits your style than one that does not.

I absolutely think he will improve because as I've said before his performance last season wasn't bad at all and more importantly he always gave 100% so is still hungry to improve.

A measure of his performance is that the team was more successful when he played than when he didn't, so far from 'costing' Villa, last season Bannan was a bonus.

His in play passing was hot and cold, but his crossing and corners were consistent, for a time the most accurate in the league. Yes, you might criticise some of the corners for being floaters but Westwood put some of those in too and it's the manager's/coach's decision what style of corner is used during the game. The set piece taker only does what is practised in training. Bannan did that excellently and was unlucky not to get an assist.

Wow man... you must seriously rate Bannan. Every time i visit VT it's the same posts...LOL

He's got talent. You don't get fellow professionals calling you the Scottish Iniesta for no reason.

Nick Barmby was called right up there with Zidane and Ronaldo according to Pele. Being good at football doesn't make you a good judge of talent it would seem.

• Like 1

He's got talent. You don't get fellow professionals calling you the Scottish Iniesta for no reason.

Con - Have your legs turned to jelly? Normally, throughout this thread you have backed Bannan to the hilt.

Your wavering now man, wavering.

Con throwing a wobbler, just like a Bannan corner.

Not sure i can cope with all this.

Con? I am sooooooooooooooooooo disappointed in you :);):P:D

I can't understand how a player that dominates games and has such decisive passing only manages to rack up a single assist all season

Am i missing something here?

Yes you are... The mind-warping drugs Con is obviously on

Because it's funny? Like Zinidine Kilbane

I'm not saying he never gets his passing on target. I do accept he has games when his incisive passing is incisively to the opposition. Why I say it in that way is because that's different to just random bad passing. He thinks out his passing.

Again, no-one has accused him of not thinking about his pass. They've accused him of not being capable of making the passes that he attempts. Which goes back to your 'when he [finally] gets it decisively on target'. 'He never will' is the general concensus on here and now seemingly at Villa too. His passes suggest his faith in himself outshines his actual ability. Which is a dangerous combination in the Premier League.

I'd suggest he was maybe used in the lesser games against the poorer sides, skewing his value in games we were more likely to win anyway. But that's neither here nor there. Fact is we both agree his passing has the tendency to go awry and as well as that he's now looking for alternative employment.
  • Like 1

Well, yes and no.

If by professionals you mean prostitutes i bet you can get them to do all kinds of crazy stuff if you pay them enough.

Other than that i refer you to the "Togolese Zidane" touted by Adebayor