Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Yes Snowy, i believe the board, manager, even the rest of the players knew that Downing would eventually be sold this summer. I think most fans could see this aswell. The only stumbling block was the price. We made out we didnt want to sell unless silly money was offered, and in the end it was. Im just glad its all been tied up sooner rather than later.

Im sure McLeish already has deals in the pipeline in terms of a replacement aswell. We will just have to be a bit more patient.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is that it has the potential to come back and bite McLeish and/or the club on the arse if or when things may not go well and I think it's just another thing not thought through in terms of a potential handicapping of the club/manager's position.

Oh i think this has been thought through, and it been thought through alot. McLeish would be fully aware of Downings situation when he sat down with Lerner at the interview stage. Hes made it clear as day he wants to leave. If anything, McLeish has played a blinder by eventually making Liverpool pay what we wanted to pay. That money will now go a LONG way to making the squad much stronger all round, rather than a couple of primadonnas on the wings who think the world revolves around them.

How the **** do you know the money will be used on the squad? Also what makes you even think McLeish will attract quality here or even decent replacements? Clinging on false hope again?

Why 'the ****' wouldnt it?!?!

Just because you automatically assume the worst at every moment doesnt mean the worst is gonna happen!!! Im tellin ya, that 40m from Young and Downing will go back into the squad. Even if not all of it NOW, then a large portion now and another chunk of it in Jan.

Take some prozac will ya ffs

But the worst keeps happening. Where's the positives? We've done absoutely nothing in the transfer market. We've instead released and sold players and paid huge amounts of compenstation across MON, Houllier and McLeish.

You.....HONESTLY think we'll spend 40m?! Haha, you're gonna be disappointed yet again!!!!

Well im glad you are happy in the thought that we wont spend any money. Go you. Well done.

But when the players start rolling in, can you AT LEAST try and start being a bit more positive at that point??

You posts are truly (and uneccessarily) depressing

actions which prove to players that we have just a good a chance of competing for a european or even champions league place as the clubs they are leaving to join who also have no european competion this season.

Then if that was not possible

It isnt possible. So get that pipe dream out of your head. We dont have the funds to get anywhere near those expectations. We could spend outside our means to push for it but would almost certainly fail, bankrupt ourselves and do a Leeds.

It hasbm't been in my head for over two years actually as it is what I have been saying is the reality of the situation for that time, despite others telling me I was wrong.

My problem is that it has the potential to come back and bite McLeish and/or the club on the arse if or when things may not go well and I think it's just another thing not thought through in terms of a potential handicapping of the club/manager's position.

Oh i think this has been thought through, and it been thought through alot. McLeish would be fully aware of Downings situation when he sat down with Lerner at the interview stage. Hes made it clear as day he wants to leave. If anything, McLeish has played a blinder by eventually making Liverpool pay what we wanted to pay. That money will now go a LONG way to making the squad much stronger all round, rather than a couple of primadonnas on the wings who think the world revolves around them.

How the **** do you know the money will be used on the squad? Also what makes you even think McLeish will attract quality here or even decent replacements? Clinging on false hope again?

Why 'the ****' wouldnt it?!?!

Just because you automatically assume the worst at every moment doesnt mean the worst is gonna happen!!! Im tellin ya, that 40m from Young and Downing will go back into the squad. Even if not all of it NOW, then a large portion now and another chunk of it in Jan.

Take some prozac will ya ffs

But the worst keeps happening. Where's the positives? We've done absoutely nothing in the transfer market. We've instead released and sold players and paid huge amounts of compenstation across MON, Houllier and McLeish.

You.....HONESTLY think we'll spend 40m?! Haha, you're gonna be disappointed yet again!!!!

Well im glad you are happy in the thought that we wont spend any money. Go you. Well done.

But when the players start rolling in, can you AT LEAST try and start being a bit more positive at that point??

You posts are truly (and uneccessarily) depressing

I'm not happy we won't be spending money. I'm laughing at the fact you think the board will spend that much (whey they have proven to be liable this summer) and the fact you insist of living in your own bubble when I'm trying to spell out the reality.

We should have bought his replacement before this was announced officially. Perhaps if out board had some football people on it we wouldnt have made such a costly mistake.

pretty much I also said this before.. if Downing was to leave atleast make sure replacements are in first.. it'll atleast look like we have some sort of ambition in mind.

We have an average squad now and good luck to the board/manager recruiting players now.. releasing 10-11 players and selling 2 of your best players.. well that will go down well with potential new players im sure.

Wouldn't it make more senese to get the replacement before Downing was sold? Think about it...I think the board are struggling yet again.

How do we know something hasnt already been agreed in principle and were just waiting for this to go through at an acceptable price??

Downing can he replaced, it was good money, I'm not bothered. There are players out there who I'm sure are just as good but worth less because their stock isn't as high as Downing's. We found Young and Downing we can find the next lot IF AM is up to the job.

We need a Gk, winger, midfielder and full back. I wouldn't mind two new CB's too but it's low down on the list at the moment.

Wouldn't it make more senese to get the replacement before Downing was sold? Think about it...I think the board are struggling yet again.

How do we know something hasnt already been agreed in principle and were just waiting for this to go through at an acceptable price??

Ahhh yes you mean like the Given deal.

Yes Snowy, i believe the board, manager, even the rest of the players knew that Downing would eventually be sold this summer. I think most fans could see this aswell. The only stumbling block was the price. We made out we didnt want to sell unless silly money was offered, and in the end it was. Im just glad its all been tied up sooner rather than later.

If that's the case and the club used that meeting (and lied to people) just in order to drive up the transfer fee then I would see that, rather like the managerial appointment, as a huge gamble.

It doesn't mean that things won't work out but we and they had better bloody hope that they do because if they don't then I think they'd lose the trust of a good number of those fans who still have it.

Teams never get replacements in before a player has gone now, what would happen if we say signed Nzogbia for 10m and then the Downing deal fell through or Liverpool pull out to **** us up and were left with two players in the same position? I know we need two wingers anyway but this was just an example.

Downing is overrated and for 20m I think its good business, we can get Nzogbia for half that.

-------Makoun-Delph------

Nzogbia--Ireland--Albrighton

-----------Bent--------------

We would still have £30m to spend + whatever AM was given in the first place. We will score goals with that attack, put that money to the defence and we will be a lot more solid this season.

Downing can he replaced

I think people are under estimating how good Downing is TBH (more so Liverpool fans who think we have raped them for £20m )

I was never a fan of his when he was at Boro but last season he was a class above anyone else at Villa Park ... Watching him burn past Ashley Cole at VP like Cole was running in treacle I never realised just how quick he was until that point .. for sure there were a couple of times when he didn't put his foot in when he should have but other than that he is a very skilful and intelligent player and his departure is a big big loss to us

Stu you genuinely life in your own little world of optimism. I have no doubt that we will spend some money, but I think it will be no where near 40 million.

Two prima donna wingers?? Thats what you call the former creative hub of our team, England internations in their prime. Seriously??

Another example of why following football is a pointless exercise now. If our players are any good, then someone will come along and take them off our hands. I'll struggle to get excited about any new signings we make knowing that the same will happen with them if they're a success. We'll never be able to build a team to challenge.

I'm even more pissed off with Downing because we showed great faith in him by signing him when he was injured, seeing him back to full health, putting up with him for a season when he was utter shit and total pussy, then he starts to perform and repay our faith then buggers off at the first opportunity.

I don't think its a major loss tbh that Downing has gone - and its £20m in the bank to spend (hopefully). I work in Liverpool and most Reds are pretty pissed off they've wasted that amount of money on him. I agree - he's pretty average at best. I know he won our player of the season last season but, let's be honest, that's not much of an accolade. My gran could have been in the running for that if she'd been played given that most performances were gutless - and she's been dead 20 years. He looked good by comparison against some pretty shit performances - bye bye is what I say to him. Let's hope that AM does something in the meantime though cos otherwise last season is going to look good.

I work in Liverpool and most Reds are pretty pissed off they've wasted that amount of money on him.

They must be suicidal over the £20m for Henderson then.

You can only hope... :D

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â