The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

7 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

And the other options played by England had failed to threaten them all game prior to Grealish's introduction

So. It doesn't mean he deserves a Euro spot, was one of his rare good performances this season.

He is a 100 million flop

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The only manager that ever got Grealish was Smith. He really could have been one of footballs great entertainers

I think it's fair to say, without DS, Grealish doesn't have the same career. He was an absolute pleasure at times. He was the Savouir in our relegation escape under Smith.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He should have been High-Functioning Gazza and instead he's the guy that comes on for the last 30 to win fouls and help the team that's allowed to cheat maintain their inevitable 4-0 leads, and then go Ibiza to fall over a lot for the summer because nobody's convinced he's capable of better

I feel bad for him! Or at least, I feel bad for the player - the man, even! - that he should of been

Edited by Annoyman
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The only manager that ever got Grealish was Smith. He really could have been one of footballs great entertainers

He was good in Bruce's final full season. Was when he really became the Grealish we'd come to know.

Posted (edited)

Senior player (kane) questioned Southgate on his decision to drop Grealish and the rest of the squad were shocked. It's a bad decision, own it.

Edited by tinker

Imagine seeing Konsa and Watkins in the squad and you’re not. 

As much as I begrudge that he left us, I would’ve still wanted him in the England squad, give him a licence to do what he wants and he can make stuff happen.

A great option off the bench when struggling to break down a low block team. 

Shame. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Zatman said:

In fairness he was good also under Sherwood too but Bruce tictacs restricted him . Smith unleashed his potential by building the team around him

It probably hampered him and us but showed his levels. Pity the drug cheat destroyed him

17/18 Grealish is honestly my favourite version of him. I don't think he was restricted at all. Was the only season he played a proper #10 role and didn't have any defensive responsibilities.

He's going to move now. Missing out on England 26 man squad is very embarrassing and reality is he's yesterday's news in the fans and media eyes due to the emergence of Foden and Bellingham in last 18 months.

Needs to do something to get some relevancy back.

Just now, Zatman said:

apparently he spoke to the drug cheat and he will stay next season

A year's loan somewhere. Gets back regularly playing and then will probably have a new manager in summer 2025 at Man. City.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because Southgate often puts Grealish in the " Forwards " category.

Hence one of the forwards would need to be dropped. ( I.E Ollie )

Yes Pep spent 100 mill on him yet he's not a guaranteed starter and is often displaced by other players who cost a fraction of that.

I don't know why some people can't just accept that there are other quality players in the world and in England which have probably performed better over the season and may suit the teams needs better.

" His talent is blindingly obvious " yes, it is, but the talents of multiple other players in the squad also are.

If you think Jack would have free reign here now like he did under Deano you are sadly mistaken as well.

I even saw him say it in an interview " At City Pep wants me to play in a system a certain way, Deano used to just tell me to go out and do whatever I want "

And it would be similar here under Unai.

You guys moan that it should be on form and merit, not reputation when our players aren't included, yet want Jack included mostly based on reputation and " his talent which Pep paid 100 million for ". He hasn't been there this season.

If they could take.more players I'm sure he would be on the plane, but Managers have to make tough decisions in these scenarios ( whether correct or not )

Anyway these are the scenarios where I'm glad as a Jamaican my biggest worry is if the Association can pay for the players flights 😂

Again I'm not sure where you're going with this and I think you're really oversimplifying people's views tbh. I don't want him back at Villa, that ship has sailed. And yes other players have talents but it's not just talented or not talented is it? There's levels to it.

I don't want Jack in for his reputation, I want him in for his ability, it's a unique ability which would give us more control in the games against the top nations.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

A year's loan somewhere. Gets back regularly playing and then will probably have a new manager in summer 2025 at Man. City.

Think how many assist and goals he’ll get in League 2 😉

Edited by duke313
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Think this is going to make Jack consider if staying at City is right for him.

He will be devastated if England go on to win the euros and he missed out. 

Thankfully for him Southgate is England manager so he won't be missing a winning tournament.

I don't get this decision at all. He offers something none of our other players do. Even if you don't want to start him, he's a great skillset to have on the bench.

Instead we are taking Toney who has done **** all this year and is our 3rd choice striker in a 1 striker formation.

• Like 1

I am ambivalent about Grealish but I do think he’s a better option than Ivan Toney.

• Like 1

Taking an extra Striker instead of Grealish when Southgate will only ever play one up front is bizarre.  But I don’t think any of the wide forwards that got called up deserve to be left out either.

Southgate has never liked Grealish and it’s more than just footballing reason.

• Like 2

The one thing Jack definitely should have worked on in his career is his shooting, he's always been really shit at scoring goals.  He literally does everything but score regularly. 

Southgate is a shit manager who analyses stats to make his big nosed head look smart, and whilst Jack passes all of the eye-tests, he just doesn't have the numbers of Southgate's preferred options. 

What Southgate fails to see, is that his preferred options are top-dogs in their clubs, but won't be for England because we play system based football.  Guess which winger is used to playing in a structured formation? 

International football is usually slower and more methodical too, so the PL hustle and bustle of Saka/Bowen/Gordon will mostly be lost because of teams playing deep anyway. 

I'd love to be made an idiot and England win the Euro's, with those players being key, but I obviously don't see it happening. 

Should be LW Grealish, ST Kane, RW Foden

Done.

• Like 2

I think he would have been a good option to have in the squad, however I’m really looking forward to seeing palmer foden and eze…we now need Southgate to be able to be positive in games and start some of those names in them….foden especially needs to be more central 

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Senior player (kane) questioned Southgate on his decision to drop Grealish and the rest of the squad were shocked. It's a bad decision, own it.

Funnily enough I thought about this earlier, I wondered what Kane had thought of it because I remembered him saying at the last Euros how much he loved playing with him.

Posted (edited)

Had the world at his feat a few years ago. Was the next big star, potentially even a second Beckham such was the hysteria in the summer of 2021.

Yes, he will have no regrets personally about how it has unfolded- trophies and money. But very quickly it's passing him by and you wonder how decisive really he was in the cheating club's most recent successes He will be 29 now in autumn...  

Edited by Captain_Townsend

After a few hours of reflection I've come to my senses and realised its still a really poor decision. Regardless, under Southgate we'll flop again unless he grows some balls and starts unleasing the attacking talent we have. History will repeat again I fear.

Â