The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, villanmac said:

They'll be a lot of rubbing hands with glee about this but Jesus Christ, that's harsh. 

Fair enough he hasnt played a lot this season but he certainly brings something unique to the squad and could have played a massive part from the bench at least. Obviously from has to be taken into account but from a footballing point of view i think it's disappointing.

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

An awful decision. Anthony Gordon over him? Laughable.

Grealish won't look out of place VS the world's best - Gordon will.

Agree with these.  Game changed, as it often used to,  when Jack came on. 

As average as he's been for City this season, he's got fresh legs and would have been one of very few players at the tournament not hanging out their arse after a season of 50+ matches.

Southgate being Southgate though, he doesn't like him,  and I suspect neither Jack nor Gordon would get many minutes anyway. 

If he can't make it work with Bellingham, Foden and Saka then we don't stand a chance with anyone playing. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Of course he is. If he was still playing for us, regardless of the season he has had, there would be uproar on here. Small - minded individuals who can't get over themselves. 

You genuinely think he’s a more exciting player than Foden, Saka, Palmer, Bellingham and Kane?

Have you watched him for 3 years

1 hour ago, DaoDeMings said:

Not just about numbers, is it? Grealish won a treble last year and played a big role in it. He was one of City's best players. Hardly nostalgia

Yet … this season… when City were chasing a goal to win an FA Cup final guess who stayed rooted to the bench?

On came Akanji, Doku and Alvarez to try and change the game / snatch a goal.

44 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

Shame, I still think he is more exciting than any England players currently in the team

This is almost as mental an opinion as when someone in the Watkins thread said they’d rather have Ollie than Mbappe.

He is not exciting to watch anymore. He has had a mediocre season. Some excellent players have gone ahead of him.

8 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Some people just walk right into it, deservedly so too!

Walk right into what?

The subs did “change the game / grab a goal” like I asked… 

Which clearly wasn’t even the original point of the post. The point was his club manager didn’t think it was worth bringing him off the bench in a massive game (maybe because he’s been bang average this season).

31 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

You genuinely think he’s a more exciting player than Foden, Saka, Palmer, Bellingham and Kane?

Have you watched him for 3 years

Have you watched England in the last 3 years?

I still think Grealish offers something that at some point in the tournament we will need

And I'm not saying he would start or play over those players but when we're 1-0 down Vs a good team in the quarter finals are we bringing on Eze or Bowen to turn it around? No chance 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Agreed. I like Eze, he had a great end to the season, but for all his energy and good intentions he didn't demonstrate the end result that Grealish did (and by that, I mean the old "assist of an assist" as much as anything which we all know is his true value).

But it's still a good squad and we should do well in the tournament.

He also got a straightforward assist for Trents goal of the tournament volley, the ball he played was superb, not another England player has that ball in him. So on for 20 minutes and helps create 2 of England's 3 goals. Southgate is as deluded as the press.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought the only reason Southgate never used to choose him was because he played for Villa and he hated us? 👀

Jokes aside I'm seeing quite the uproar about this on Social Media, but if he had dropped Ollie and taken Jack instead you'd be moaning as well 🤦🏽‍♂️

Crazy to see how obsessed fans still are about him.

Whether you agree or not, whether he is a shite manager or not, the notion that he makes decisions based on petty fan conspiracies is mental.

What has Watkins got to do with anything? I'm not obsessed with Grealish, but his quality is blindingly obvious. Hence why Pep, one of the greatest managers ever, spent £100m on him.

Who's said anything about fan conspiracies? Not sure what narrative you're trying to spin with that. I never thought Southgate had a grudge against us but I think he MAY have held one against Jack. Either way, this is just criticism of Southgate for not taking a game changer.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Very surprised he's been omitted, thought he looked excellent the other night (admittedly it's only Bosnia of course). I don't really care whether a player has 'had a good season', the question is whether they'd be the best option for England, and since I've defended Southgate so many times before for picking on squad role rather than form I'm surprised (and slightly critical) that he seems to be picking on form now. 

That said, Gordon is also a good option, and left-sided wide forward is not where England's problems are likely to lie in this tournament. 

What was playing him in that game all about? Plays him, plays excellently, dropped anyway. What's the point?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Villa glasses removed, it's a shame he's not going. I was hoping his move would help cement him as being a generational talent. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I said against Bosnia he was showing  bit of ole skool Grealish, so defo still has it. He should be in the team, ahead of a Toney or Gordon. This is just Southgate flexing, "look at me Pep and the media, I can be ruthless too".

I rate Eze, an Gordon ain't bad, both got something to prove. But Grealish has the experience, he will be missed, you will see, when we are watching Eze and Gordon with no end product.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Villa glasses removed, it's a shame he's not going. I was hoping his move would help cement him as being a generational talent. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sucks that City are the dominant force in football right now. If he'd have gone to United under Fergie or something, he'd be a global superstar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Bosnia had two mid table Bundesliga.2 centre backs playing at right back. One of them was 34

And the other options played by England had failed to threaten them all game prior to Grealish's introduction

• Like 1

Â