The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

Posted (edited)

I thought the only reason Southgate never used to choose him was because he played for Villa and he hated us? 👀

Jokes aside I'm seeing quite the uproar about this on Social Media, but if he had dropped Ollie and taken Jack instead you'd be moaning as well 🤦🏽‍♂️

Crazy to see how obsessed fans still are about him.

Whether you agree or not, whether he is a shite manager or not, the notion that he makes decisions based on petty fan conspiracies is mental.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought the only reason Southgate never used to choose him was because he played for Villa and he hated us? 👀

Jokes aside I'm seeing quite the uproar about this on Social Media, but if he had dropped Ollie and taken Jack instead you'd be moaning as well 🤦🏽‍♂️

Whether you agree or not, whether he is a shite manager or not, the notion that he makes decisions based on petty fan conspiracies is mental.

Shite manager covers pretty much all the bases.

Jack pissed away his chance too though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Gordon and Bowen aren't quite top class for me. Grealish, when he's on it, certainly is. He could still have turned it on at this tourney and he brings control in the final third. Crazy decision.

You would be picking him on reputation not form. Something fans usually berate a manager for. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

You would be picking him on reputation not form. Something fans usually berate a manager for. 

No, I'd be picking him based on the fact he's one of our best players.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I bet Hellmann is having egg on their face on this one

Shame, I still think he is more exciting than any England players currently in the team

Edited by HongKongVillan
  • Like 1

The fact is, petty hatreds aside, he offers something that others in that squad don't. His ommision tells you everything you need to know about "Safegate". It's reminiscent of the time when Hoddle left out Gascoigne, and we all remember how that tournament ended for England. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

I bet Hellmann is having egg on their face on this one

Shame, I still think he is more exciting than any England players currently in the team

Of course he is. If he was still playing for us, regardless of the season he has had, there would be uproar on here. Small - minded individuals who can't get over themselves. 

Personally I'd have included Jack. He seemed to change the game a bit when he came on in the last friendly. He still has "something" that none of the other players have.

• Like 1

Very surprised he's been omitted, thought he looked excellent the other night (admittedly it's only Bosnia of course). I don't really care whether a player has 'had a good season', the question is whether they'd be the best option for England, and since I've defended Southgate so many times before for picking on squad role rather than form I'm surprised (and slightly critical) that he seems to be picking on form now. 

That said, Gordon is also a good option, and left-sided wide forward is not where England's problems are likely to lie in this tournament. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I always thought it was because he didn't like Jack from their U21 days. The hating Villa stuff is just weird nonsense. Better players and managers than Southgate to be bitter about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No, I'd be picking him based on the fact he's one of our best players.

And his form is poor right now. You’re picking him based on his past reputation ahead of players who are a key part of their club side and are currently in good form. 

Usually we frown on that sort of thing from international managers. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Usually we frown on that sort of thing from international managers. 

Some of us don't :)

I agree it's the normal view on the forum though. 

On 04/12/2023 at 20:12, KAZZAM said:

He's become complacent because City win all the time. Now someone like Doku has come along and people are realising how little he really does contribute. 

If he played for United he would've been ripped to shreds for his form over a year ago. 

I'm doubling down on him not making the Euro's. 

Said in November and December he wouldn't make it. 

Posted (edited)

He has had a poor season but not to make a 26 man squad is scandalous imo. The media were raving about Eze the other night, he had one mazy run that came to nothing but other than that he was average. Grealish had much more impact in the 30 mins he was in the pitch. Eze is good player like Bowen but I feel Grealish should have gone over both based on his experiences in big games. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

He’s scored 11 goals in 3 years at City.

Bowen, Eze and Gordon all scored that (or more) this season for West Ham, Palace and Newcastle respectively.

The idea that he’s a better option to come off the bench and grab a goal is based on nostalgia. 

How many would they have scored playing for City if they were told to cut in every time and pass to the left back?

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I always thought it was because he didn't like Jack from their U21 days. The hating Villa stuff is just weird nonsense. Better players and managers than Southgate to be bitter about.

Without the biases, there is a tonne load of talent in that squad and to choose from, unfortunately they can't all go, but there are definitely a couple who deserve a shot.

Ollie and Ezri have fought a long hard battle for their places and have finally been rewarded.

Yes OBS some players get in on reputation but for the most part it has to be merit and form, as well as building for the future of England team.

12 minutes ago, WHY said:

He has had a poor season but not to make a 26 man squad is scandalous imo. The media were raving about Eze the other night, he had one mazy run that came to nothing but other than that he was average. Grealish had much more impact in the 30 mins he was in the pitch. Eze is good player like Bowen but I feel Grealish should have gone over both based on his experiences in big games. 

Agreed. I like Eze, he had a great end to the season, but for all his energy and good intentions he didn't demonstrate the end result that Grealish did (and by that, I mean the old "assist of an assist" as much as anything which we all know is his true value).

But it's still a good squad and we should do well in the tournament.

• Like 1

Â