The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

Southgate is a tool for not utilising Jack at his peak for us. However, he’s not deserving enough to be in the squad on form alone this time around. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Southgate would do English football a favour if he came out and said it as it is when asked why grealish didn’t make it: he hasn’t played enough games this season because he’s a bench player at his club (unlike Gordon and eze) 

Edited by JPJCB

25 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Was it the Germany fixture in the last Euros where Grealish came on and changed the game for us?

Not happening with Gordon or Bowen.

Why?

Gordon, Bowen and Eze have been light years ahead of Grealish this season.

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

It's not about Grealish, I want this English team to win. Probably my favourite squad in the tournament.

You really think picking JG is the difference between winning and losing?

Cole Palmer isn’t even going to start. Eze, Gordon and Bowen are great options from the bench, with real pace and in much better form than Grealish.

In all honesty, the Maguire injury is the biggest impact on England’s chances. I don’t rate Maguire - but it’s a massive unknown coming in to start with Stones. Can Guehi or Dunk handle the pressure.

Just now, Cizzler said:

On this season’s form, they have better ability.

Would you have taken Rashford too?

No, but they're not the same situations for me. Grealish's season has been impacted by injury, Rashford not so much. Grealish has played a bit part role at City but still looked decent when he has played. I don't think Gordon, Eze and Bowen don't deserve to be there at all, I just think out of Gordon, Eze, Bowen and Toney, Grealish should be in ahead of one of them on his ability to change a game.

Just now, Cizzler said:

He’s scored 11 goals in 3 years at City.

Bowen, Eze and Gordon all scored that (or more) this season for West Ham, Palace and Newcastle respectively.

The idea that he’s a better option to come off the bench and grab a goal is based on nostalgia. 

Not just about numbers, is it? Grealish won a treble last year and played a big role in it. He was one of City's best players. Hardly nostalgia

• Like 1

Just now, Cizzler said:

He’s scored 11 goals in 3 years at City.

Bowen, Eze and Gordon all scored that (or more) this season for West Ham, Palace and Newcastle respectively.

The idea that he’s a better option to come off the bench and grab a goal is based on nostalgia. 

Goals are not the be-all. He's a better player than Gordon and Bowen, even with his poor form. Not to mention he offers something different from being pacy and scoring goals which is important for a tournament. Though I think Gordon and Eze deserve to be there over him on form. Eze is just an in-form version of him anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Problem with Bowen is that he played mostly as a striker this season where Kane, Watkins and Toney play, but he's also competing with Saka, Palmer and Foden as a right sided forward. Personally, I don't think he's a useful addition to the squad, he's inferior to all the other players mentioned despite his good season.

But, he is our most direct option.

I'd still have taken Grealish over him but would have taken Bowen over Gordon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Gordon is also direct, and plays in a less stacked position. Honestly, if Bowen isn't playing up top I think he's kind of average. Like if you bring him off the bench against Germany or France and stick him on the left, what is he going to do really?

Oh I don't think Bowen and Gordon are good enough to be having impact on those games. Tbf though Eze and Palmer should be ahead of them both anyway, but Grealish should be in that squad. Laughable he isn't.

• Like 1

I do wonder whether Grealish is destined to be of those 'what if' players. 

He's been obviously successful, he's won everything, he's exceptionally well paid. But there's a world were he's one of the greatest English players ever. He has the talent and the ability, there are very few English players who approach the game he does, and the failings in his game feel coachable (essentially it's just he should score more). But he's going to go down as just quite good who never quite fulfilled his potential.

Obviously some of that is his choices, both on and off field, and some of that is injuries. But he really should have been a real great, and he won't be.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I do wonder whether Grealish is destined to be of those 'what if' players. 

He's been obviously successful, he's won everything, he's exceptionally well paid. But there's a world were he's one of the greatest English players ever. He has the talent and the ability, there are very few English players who approach the game he does, and the failings in his game feel coachable (essentially it's just he should score more). But he's going to go down as just quite good who never quite fulfilled his potential.

Obviously some of that is his choices, both on and off field, and some of that is injuries. But he really should have been a real great, and he won't be.

He sacrificed that to win trophies that might well have an asterisk on them soon. I feel like Gazza will be looked at more favourably in the future than him. He didn't have enough time in the spotlight to entertain fans. He's been with City longer than he's been with us in the PL. People will only remember Mr. Cut Inside and Pass Back.

21 minutes ago, Adman said:

I feel happy and sad all at once

Yep. I love him and i'd love him to play for a team I can cheer for, but I also want there to be consequences for a player of his talent being a squad player at a cheating club owned by a petrostate. Fair play to Southgate for leaving him and a few others out.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how he goes about his summer now. Does he buckle down and makes sure he comes back after the summer n the shape of his life to prove his doubters, Gareth and Pep wrong next season or does he go a 4 week leaving Las Vegas style bender?

6 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf he should have been a key player for England at Euro 2020/2021. Southgate's fault and his fault only that he wasn't. Criminally underused.

Everyone could see how much we needed Jack at the euros. It felt vindictive at the time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Yep. I love him and i'd love him to play for a team I can cheer for, but I also want there to be consequences for a player of his talent being a squad player at a cheating club owned by a petrostate. Fair play to Southgate for leaving him and a few others out.

Absolutely. Players make their choices. He could have been a rich man with all kinds of opportunities without playing for MC. Not saying it's some grave, dark, immoral lapse in his character to play for MC, but it does come with a cost.

• Like 1

Â