The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

On 26/09/2023 at 17:19, Zatman said:

Again he wasnt good the second half of the first season. It was spun that Smith only worked because of Grealish but it was Trezeguet, Hourihane, Luiz, Mings even Elmo who stood up the back end of that season

This rewriting of history is getting very very funny

• Like 3

On 27/09/2023 at 09:20, The_Steve said:

As important as that goal was for the point, Trez's goals directly got us 6 crucial points against Palace and Arsenal. We wouldn't be in a position to only need that point at West Ham without it. Jack also scored from crucial goals and got some great assists. But to make it always about him is a disservice to the other players. We had a patchwork squad to stay up and yes it showed, but other players stepped up to keep us up and don't get anywhere near the credit they deserve. 

If anything, this argument about Trez's goals being more important just shows how you can't base discussions about ability and talent around output.

Trez was shit. He scored some important goals, but he was shit.

The fact he's even being mentioned in a conversation about Grealish is hilarious

• Like 2

On 27/09/2023 at 08:37, DJ_Villain said:

That’s not true…

Had he done what Jude did and went abroad to one of Europe’s super clubs, I don’t think you’d find a Villa fan alive who wouldn’t have wished him a fond fairwell…

but to go to Citeh the way he did?

My club + release clause?

To exactly the same team?

Makes him no less of a snake than Delph…

Moreso considering the narrative of how he was “Mr Aston Villa”, “Mr Villa till I die”

and then he dived against us as well…

Out of all of our former captains who just broke into the England squad who up sticks and left for them?

He is easily the most despicable

So you're basically saying you don't like him so you're pretending he wasn't as good as he was.

As long as people are admitting it :thumb: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This rewriting of history is getting very very funny

I don't understand why though. The kid left to play in the most successful team in the CL. Who can blame him.

He got us one of the highest fees in history on top of that.

He was the best attacking player in my 18 years of supporting Villa, his talent is incredible. 

Everyone benefited from this deal, yet somehow we now argue against this. 

It's a footballer. It's not your ex girlfriend. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In the cold light of day, yeah, I get this, it's a business, it's his job, and he got a fantastic career opportunity to be more successful and make more money. But what's the **** point of football if it's reduced down to it's pure economic logic? Without the romance, the passion, sport is nothing.

I don't blame Grealish at all, really, I've mellowed out a lot about it at this point, but it did mark a personal watershed moment of me just falling out of love with the game a little bit more. It wasn't the only factor or the biggest factor, just one of the few final straws for me that made me realise I don't really want to spend my money on this crap anymore.

If all the players are sensible professionals treating it like a job, and all the corporate overlords are sensible business people extracting profit like any sensible capitalist does, what's the **** point of supporter "loyalty", we're a bunch of mugs.

I would assume that if someone came your way and doubled your salary, allowed you to go to the thing you dreamed about all your life (CL football in his case) you would jump ship from your current employer.

For us it about passion and supporting the club. A hobby.

But for Grealish it's about his career and wealth. As is for most footballers. 

If I can advise, don't stake your love for the game for what individuals decide to do with their careers. It won't work out well. 

29 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I would assume that if someone came your way and doubled your salary, allowed you to go to the thing you dreamed about all your life (CL football in his case) you would jump ship from your current employer.

For us it about passion and supporting the club. A hobby.

But for Grealish it's about his career and wealth. As is for most footballers. 

If I can advise, don't stake your love for the game for what individuals decide to do with their careers. It won't work out well. 

Like no doubt a few on here I've got a mate who played at reserve level for the baggies (got team sheets vs rooney, wright-phillips etc) and speaking to him about it is mad, training every day, playing on the weekend, getting paid... He doesn't support anyone, he now won't play 5 a side or anything like that, he enjoys watching football down the pub but the job side of it completely took the shine off it and he doesn't love it

The way he describes it being a fan and being a player are completely different things

No one can compare their fandom of villa to a Villa player, it's a waste of time, what we do is not the same

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

In the cold light of day, yeah, I get this, it's a business, it's his job, and he got a fantastic career opportunity to be more successful and make more money. But what's the **** point of football if it's reduced down to it's pure economic logic? Without the romance, the passion, sport is nothing.

I don't blame Grealish at all, really, I've mellowed out a lot about it at this point, but it did mark a personal watershed moment of me just falling out of love with the game a little bit more. It wasn't the only factor or the biggest factor, just one of the few final straws for me that made me realise I don't really want to spend my money on this crap anymore.

If all the players are sensible professionals treating it like a job, and all the corporate overlords are sensible business people extracting profit like any sensible capitalist does, what's the **** point of supporter "loyalty", we're a bunch of mugs.

This is so true

The whole point of sport is to encourage competition and the whole point of business / capitalism is to destroy competition. The two cannot co exist together without a serious compromise, which big business does not allow.  Every sport in which big money is involved will eventually die on its arse as a competitive force.

• Like 1

Grealish was world class for us.

My disregard for him is how much he played the club and fans, how much he pandered to other clubs whilst saying things to get fans hopes up. Hes one of our greatest of all time, but how he treated us/the club after we stuck by him consistently when he was causing trouble off the pitch - yeah, he isn’t a legend because of that.

17 minutes ago, luckyeddie said:

This is so true

The whole point of sport is to encourage competition and the whole point of business / capitalism is to destroy competition. The two cannot co exist together without a serious compromise, which big business does not allow.  Every sport in which big money is involved will eventually die on its arse as a competitive force.

You love films - Netflix love making films to make money

You love food - The local restaurant loves making food to make money

You love technology - Samsung or Apple love making phones to make money

You love music - your favourite band love making albums to make money

It's a good deal if you ask me.

Same for Grealish - you love Aston Villa - Grealish loves playing football and wants to make the most of it, including money. 

Let's not confuse the end consumer (AV Fan) to the business providing the product. Everyone needs to make a clear line between the metaphysical concept of 'ASTON VILLA' and the business behind the scenes. I couldn't care less about NSWE, Purslow, Heck, Grealish. I wish them the best, but I don't support them. I support Aston Villa.

I love films - I don't love netflix.

Grealish is just like anyone else. It's his career. Let him make the most of it, and let's not re-writing history about how good he was. He was incredible. 

See the Greal-hiss fans are out again...

That Project Restart season: Luiz was fantastic and Trézéguet weighed in with some solid performances and VERY important goals.

That's the way it is, you cannot change it no matter how much you might love Greal-hiss.

22 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That Project Restart season: Luiz was fantastic and Trézéguet weighed in with some solid performances and VERY important goals.

That's the way it is, you cannot change it no matter how much you might love Greal-hiss.

Nobody is disagreeing with any of that.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody is disagreeing with any of that.

I'm disagreeing with Greal-hiss and how much I love him.

I don't love him at all. He was simply an elite player for Villa, one we haven't seen in many years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

You love films - Netflix love making films to make money

You love food - The local restaurant loves making food to make money

You love technology - Samsung or Apple love making phones to make money

You love music - your favourite band love making albums to make money

It's a good deal if you ask me.

Same for Grealish - you love Aston Villa - Grealish loves playing football and wants to make the most of it, including money. 

Let's not confuse the end consumer (AV Fan) to the business providing the product. Everyone needs to make a clear line between the metaphysical concept of 'ASTON VILLA' and the business behind the scenes. I couldn't care less about NSWE, Purslow, Heck, Grealish. I wish them the best, but I don't support them. I support Aston Villa.

I love films - I don't love netflix.

Grealish is just like anyone else. It's his career. Let him make the most of it, and let's not re-writing history about how good he was. He was incredible. 

I used to love football, rugby and cricket before big business killed them as competitive sports, now I can't be arsed as we all know the outcome before the season starts. The entertainment factor is dying, because that uncertainty connected with entertainment is the enemy of the capitalist running these sport. I totally agree with supporting the club and not the players. If they leave Villa, they're basically dead to me.

Grealish was so good because everything was set up for him (Smith's good management) to do what he does best, but the last couple of seasons have shown he cannot be that robotic player PL teams require. I love that he was a maverick, but he preferred to be a better paid cog in a richer wheel than a legend at Villa, so **** him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Does "greal-hiss fans" refer to fans that don't or do like him, i am confused? 

I think the most telling sign is this weird argument is that Man City passed up buying Luiz back at a lower fee than he was worth, Trezeguet ended on our bench/going to Turkey, yet Grealish went for a £100m, the arguement that the others were more important, or downplaying Grealishs role, is just wrong. Luiz and Trezegeut did do their parts (especially Trezegeuts goals were important in the latest stages), and Luiz has developed into a super star.  Yet Grealish went for a premier league record fee, which he just would not have if he didn't perform really well

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

What, the actual ****, is this?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Greal-hiss.  **** hell - are you 12?

53 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

What, the actual ****, is this?

You both may love him but I don't have to, he's a clown and the way he went about engineering a move out of Villa was snake-like. Hence the hiss.

Really shouldn't need to explain myself at all, just a bit of a joke. Don't take things too seriously or emotionally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â