The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

He's never coming back

I think so too. Said before I dont think Gerrard would take him. Not for personality but now our players like quick one twos and Jack doesn't fit that 

4 hours ago, meregreen said:

Sorry, that accolade belongs to Paul McGrath.Closely followed by Brian Little.

Said before you have to consider the changes in availability of football and the ease at how it can be watched, there's a whole generation of villa fans who never saw those players and a lot more who if they were lucky enough to see them only saw them a handful of times, compare that to having probably 90% of Jack's games available via different sources 

I'm 37, I saw Mcgrath less than 5 times on TV, watched him more for Ireland, even players like Yorke or or Mellberg or Ashley Young I couldn't watch every game, grealish apart from some random cup and championship games I could and I usually did 

Comfortably the best player I've ever seen in c&b, honestly it's not even close 

I'd be genuinely interested how many time Brian Little played for villa on TV because I haven't got a clue what it was like back then 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think so too. Said before I dont think Gerrard would take him. Not for personality but now our players like quick one twos and Jack doesn't fit that 

He has 7 years plus playing career, Gerrard will be gone in 3 seasons , he either gets us into Europe and then goes to lpool or doesn't and gets sacked. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tinker said:

He has 7 years plus playing career, Gerrard will be gone in 3 seasons , he either gets us into Europe and then goes to lpool or doesn't and gets sacked. 

Yes and our structure is to bring in a manager with a similar style. 

As for Grealish, with his injuries and lifestyle then he will be lucky to be playing top flight at 30. Look at Wilshere

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Said before you have to consider the changes in availability of football and the ease at how it can be watched, there's a whole generation of villa fans who never saw those players and a lot more who if they were lucky enough to see them only saw them a handful of times, compare that to having probably 90% of Jack's games available via different sources 

I'm 37, I saw Mcgrath less than 5 times on TV, watched him more for Ireland, even players like Yorke or or Mellberg or Ashley Young I couldn't watch every game, grealish apart from some random cup and championship games I could and I usually did 

I'd be genuinely interested how many time Brian Little played for villa on TV because I haven't got a clue what it was like back then 

Very few, probably the most notable one was the second reply in 1977 League cup when he scored a braceI think he scored 13 goals in that tournament that season including a hat-trick in the semi-final reply against QPR. Believe the hype he walked on water , It’s a tragedy that more of him is not on film

• Thanks 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Very few, probably the most notable one was the second reply in 1977 League cup when he scored a braceI think he scored 13 goals in that tournament that season including a hat-trick in the semi-final reply against QPR. Believe the hype he walked on water , It’s a tragedy that more of him is not on film

I think he’s goal Manchester United in the FA Cup from about 35 yards is also on YouTube

2 hours ago, regular_john said:

I get the impression he's gone off to tick his career boxes by winning the league, cups, playing in CL etc. before coming home for the last few years of his career.

Why the hell would we want him back then…knackered and past it.  He’s not the type of player whose going to have a career at the top end long into his thirties given his injury history and off the field activities.  Also given where we are going we should be a consistent top 8 team by then so we wouldn’t be interested in him.  If he comes back as you say at the end of his career then NSWE has failed at this club over the coming years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not hard considering how crap we’ve been for 20 years, it’s not exactly a good bench mark

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why the hell would we want him back then…knackered and past it.  He’s not the type of player whose going to have a career at the top end long into his thirties given his injury history and off the field activities.  Also given where we are going we should be a consistent top 8 team by then so we wouldn’t be interested in him.  If he comes back as you say at the end of his career then NSWE has failed at this club over the coming years.

We'll see. I've seen far too many false dawns down B6 to make any assumptions about where we may or may not be in X years time.

Maybe we'll be in a good place and he'll be nothing more than a squad player. Maybe it will have all gone tits up (again) and he'll be hailed as a prodigal son returning to get us out of the shit (again)

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I hope he continues to flop because that £100m is all the more sweeter if he does.

I do genuinely wonder if he regrets it or not. Obviously, there is the money, but he’d be filthy rich either way. 

On form or not he will be getting a premier league winners medal come May, i very much doubt he regrets swapping that to staying with us.

I really don't get the hate he gets on here

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Problem is there are just as many generations that did see many of our greats week in and week out.  I appreciate there is a generation that didn’t but that doesn’t take away from a large amount that did like myself.

8 minutes ago, regular_john said:

We'll see. I've seen far too many false dawns down B6 to make any assumptions about where we may or may not be in X years time.

Maybe we'll be in a good place and he'll be nothing more than a squad player. Maybe it will have all gone tits up (again) and he'll be hailed as a prodigal son returning to get us out of the shit (again)

Interesting to find out how many times going back to an old club works out.  The likelihood if he came back the expectations would be high but it would never work out the same.  He had his time here, it worked perfectly for that time but the likelihood it wouldn’t work out the same.  We’ve had the likes of Cowans work out coming back but different circumstances and all that it’s not likely to work out.  Added to that it would have to have perfect timing, in that we needed a player like him, he’s at the level or we are at the level it works and many other factors…I doubt he’ll ever come back and not anything that would have any material impact to the first team.

The Jack we knew and loved has gone for good.  The future Grealish, if he came back, would be a different type of player and most likely a shadow of what we knew.

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Problem is there are just as many generations that did see many of our greats week in and week out.  I appreciate there is a generation that didn’t but that doesn’t take away from a large amount that did like myself.

We didn’t call McGrath God for nothing. Not just the best I ever saw in c&b, I think at the time he was probably the best defender in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Not hard considering how crap we’ve been for 20 years, it’s not exactly a good bench mark

attacking wise Ashley Young 07-09 was much better for me. He was incredible at that time

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â