The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

14 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

after the years of shite we have been through because of that shitbag club dressed in Blue from Manchester…

After their club got bankrolled… then they proceeded to cherry pick us, year after year, into relegation when they could have afforded ANY PLAYER THEY WANTED… They HAD to have ours??

and then “one of our own” who lived through it and witnessed it all as a lad just goes along for it as well?

Thats why I will be booing him.. that’s why I wish him nothing but failure…

I'm sorry but this is an absurd level of self-centring. They bought some of our players because we had good players. Other clubs also bought our players, and Man City also bought or acquired multiple players from other clubs (eg Toure, Nasri and Adebayor from Arsenal).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm sorry but this is an absurd level of self-centring. They bought some of our players because we had good players. Other clubs also bought our players, and Man City also bought or acquired multiple players from other clubs (eg Toure, Nasri and Adebayor from Arsenal).

We also raided Brentford more than City did Villa, never hear that complaint. Problem was Brentford were organised and we were ran like shit

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Did they?

I didn’t notice…

Im too self centred and only care about how things effect Villa

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't think it's possible to read the last 500 or whatever pages of this thread and come to that conclusion.

Obviously some people would hold it against him still, but the level of vitriol would be nowhere near what it is now.

44 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Absolutely not… but that’s for different reasons.

I f**king hate Spurs and Man Utd…

We should have done what Chelsea did with Tammy…

You can leave, but not to another English club

Jack wanted to play right now in the CL so if it wasn't Man City it would have been someone else in the CL who could afford him. Simple.

2 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Jack wanted to play right now in the CL so if it wasn't Man City it would have been someone else in the CL who could afford him. Simple.

And there wasn't anyone offering 100m for him.

Most of the big clubs in the CL are broke.

Munich, but they won't be paying those fees and he probably wouldn't have wanted to go Bundesliga anyway.

Juve are broke

Milan are broke

Inter are broke

PSG - maybe, but they have Neymar and he's better than Jack - now they have Messi as well :lol: 

Barca are broke

Madrid are broke

Who else is there? 

What's better for Villa?  Accepting a lesser bid from a foreign team?  Or getting as much as we can for our club?  

We're not battling Man City this year, so who gives a shit.

The only annoying thing about it is we'll see a lot more of him and it'll feel as though "our noses are being rubbed in it". 

But, it's not often a transfer record gets broken, so of course Man City will package him up as the next superstar "you gotta get his name on the back of your £100 shirt!" because THAT'S BUSINESS. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

"Everyone's seen the way Messi was at his final press conference and that is the exact way I felt myself.

"Before I left, at the hotel, I spoke to the team, the staff and the players and I teared up a little bit myself."image.jpeg.4af890bb419cb26632690e2a9cafbdec.jpeg

GIF kamera spieler camera - animated GIF on GIFER

And FWIW, I think there's going to be a monumental shift in the CL in the coming seasons as all of the traditional heavy weights go through huge financial changes - let's hope we can crack that egg at just the right time to make a name for ourselves! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His latest Instagram post is his fashion modelling. I don’t remember anywhere near the volume of posts when here was here. 

At Villa he was a footballer first and had to train 😛

37 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His latest Instagram post is his fashion modelling. I don’t remember anywhere near the volume of posts when here was here. 

I suspect now that he's had a taste of the limelight, being the next David Beckham as a "brand" is very much at the forefront of his mind, rather than football.

18 hours ago, El Zen said:

Well it is a pantomime thing, because it’s context specific. I genuinely dislike loads of things in the football world. Most of them because of a wrong coloured shirt. It’s not personal, and there is no causal link between genuinely disliking Jack Grealish in a football context, and sending e.g. racial abuse to Saka on twitter for missing a penalty. Trying to establish that link is a cheap shot.

Booing a player for leaving your club is something the player should be expected to live with. That’s part of the completely necessary club rivalry the very sport is founded on and doesn’t hurt anyone. Abusing your own player for making a mistake is something completely different. 

Yeah. I guess it depends what you mean by "genuinely dislike" then. As I said before, I'm totally fine with the pantomime aspect of booing etc. But that to me implies that deep down you know that your booing is unfounded, and that the person you're targetting hasn't actually done anything wrong. You don't actually need a reason to boo beyond "I don't like his club" or "he left my club" at that point because it is harmless theatre.

The problem is that it seems like some people seem to lack the understanding that it is all actually theatre. It all stops being entertaining very quickly if you discover that people genuinely hate Jack because they're incapable of separating the theatrical "he's a bad man because he left our club" from the reality that leaving was a reasonable enough choice given our current position and the offer on the table, and that he didn't actually conduct himself particularly badly during the process either. I understand people might feel a bit betrayed their poster boy has left the club but that in itself isn't an excuse for a complete loss of perspective.

So if people want to boo him and bring along inflatable snakes, I'm cool with that - provided the people doing that deep down know that it's probably not warranted. Then it's just harmless entertainment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Exactly where I stand with this. If we finished outside the top 6 this season, I don't think anybody would hold it against Jack for leaving. We all know he's world class. Everyone suggesting we want him to stay forever and keep him hostage are way wide of the mark.

I'm not convinced this is true. And you've also got to remember that his release clause is £100m, not something like £50m. There's not many clubs that can afford that, so for all the talk that Man City will still be around in a year's time - will they still want to pay £100m for Jack in a year's time? What if he gets a bad injury, or spends half the season out with shin splints? What if he has a bad season? And didn't his release clause expire this year anyway?

I'd have liked him to stay for another year too but it totally makes sense for him to leave now if CL is his amibition. Believing in the project is one thing but the chances of us cracking the top 4 this season are minimal, and he might not have another path into the CL if he didn't accept the offer now.

I don't think it's a contradiction to say you believe in the Villa project but also be willing to move to one of the very best teams in the world in one of the biggest transfer deals of all time. It's not like he's heading off to Arsenal for £50m. Honestly, I feel like if you're not willing to accept him leaving now then you wouldn't be willing to accept it next year either, given we'd almost certainly have progressed and a Europa League place would quite possibly have been on the cards. His transfer would feel even less justified.

"Leaving for Man City? Now we're in Europa League? For only £100m? He could have at least stayed here another year - he can't ever have had any attachment to this club! What a snake!"

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Obviously some people would hold it against him still, but the level of vitriol would be nowhere near what it is now.

No, this is the wrong way round. The level of vitriol at the departures increases as the perceived level of the club increases, not the other way round. If he had left when we lost the playoff final, or when we stayed up on the last day, more people would have been resigned to it and hence less vitriol. If he had stayed and we had finished 6th, it doesn't take a genius to work out what we'd be hearing ('how can he abandon the project when it's working'; 'we're more or less direct rivals with Man City now, this is a sideways move'; 'he's betraying the club by allowing them to pick off our best players because they're frightened of us' etc).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

No, this is the wrong way round. The level of vitriol at the departures increases as the perceived level of the club increases, not the other way round. If he had left when we lost the playoff final, or when we stayed up on the last day, more people would have been resigned to it and hence less vitriol. If he had stayed and we had finished 6th, it doesn't take a genius to work out what we'd be hearing ('how can he abandon the project when it's working'; 'we're more or less direct rivals with Man City now, this is a sideways move'; 'he's betraying the club by allowing them to pick off our best players because they're frightened of us' etc).

But the post you originally quoted said that the reactions would be different if we finished outside the top 6 again. As in, if we showed little improvement this season.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mantis said:

But the post you originally quoted said that the reactions would be different if we finished outside the top 6 again. As in, if we showed little improvement this season.

I assumed 'outside the top 6' meant, effectively, 'closer to the top 6 than 2020/21' in context (otherwise why say 'outside the top 6' rather than 'in mid table' or 'in a relegation battle'?) I mean clearly 15th is 'outside the top 6' but it's not the description I'd lean towards. If what was meant was 'anywhere outside the top 6, doesn't matter where, could be anywhere from 7th to 20th' then again, there would be more vitriol if we finished higher than 11th and less if we finished lower.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â