The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

34 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What interests me with the man city link is what would their expectation be of his game time with them. 

Grealish has probably played an average of 35 games per year for the last 5 years. We'd expect next season fingers crossed to be his highest with Villa, ideally with a cup run and england appearances, so maybe 40 with a few games out.

But Mahrez, Foden, De Bruyne etc play 55 games every season. It's a hell of an ask to play 20 more games per year than you're used to.

Foden and DeBruyne had 36 starts all comps, and Mahrez had 37  starts in all comps. Pep likes to rotate his players.

Jack's stats Compared to Foden (who played 9 more games) are clearly superior, so it baffles me when people talk about Foden starting ahead of Jack. Jack is also clearly a more complete player. 

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Stuff like this is slowly taking Grealish to the Beckham, Rooney, Ronaldo level of global stardom...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/30/stormzy-celebrates-englands-euros-2020-victory-at-fans-house-party-14849393/

This is why it makes it even more imperative that we keep hold of him. His marketing value and draw will bring more fans to the club, and more revenue. We will be able to sign more sought-after players, and so he actually has the chance to drag Villa with him to the top table, providing the owners are smart, and happy to keep spending.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thug said:

That’s long been settled when he picked him for the Euros coming back from a lengthy injury.

I think you’ll find the most recent argument was that he HAD a personal vendetta.

Jack is slowly convincing him that he’s worth all the attention, and he’s finally boarding the JG train.

One could argue that he only picked Jack to come on because it’s hard to ignore a stadium screaming his name - but actually Southgate is exactly that man who would not bow to that kind of pressure.

Regardless, the last paragraph is bang on.  His job is to win the Euros.  As much as I’ve doubted his decision making, he’s got us comfortably into the quarters, we’ve not conceded a goal, and quite frankly never looked like losing tonight to one of the tournaments favourites.

Credit where credit is due, well done Gareth.

But if anyone tries to tell me that there was no vendetta/dislike of Jack at the beginning - they can do one.

Still, this guy is starting to grow on me lol

Never thought I’d say that.

Hate to say it the cocknose is not an idiot. He would have known it was Grealish on or his head. He decided subbing Grealish one was the preferable option.

• Like 1

Anyone got a Telegraph subscription. They've run something today about Villa being hopeful he'll sign a new £150k pw contract. 

I have to pinch myself with Jack.   It's like a perfect storm. 

One of the best players in the world. 

Absolutely Villa mad, beyond mere fanhood.  Plenty of players not even as good as him have walked out on their clubs at the first opportunity, see Rooney - once a blue always a blue. 

The richest of rich owners who are determined to keep him and grow our ambitions with him. 

We've been truly blessed by circumstances, never in our modern history would be have kept him even this long before. 

• Like 1

I've noticed that Grealish and Shaw have a a great connection on the pitch. 

You don't have loads of those in International football. For me it's a no brainer to start them both on that left side. Make things happen 

I've changed my mind. As long as we can match whatever salary City or PSG are prepared to pay him, don't let him leave.  Don't think he will be like Yorke and pout in the locker room (as described by John Gregory in his interview)

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Hate to say it the cocknose is not an idiot. He would have known it was Grealish on or his head. He decided subbing Grealish one was the preferable option.

I personally am very grateful for Southgate's caution in regards to Jack. Jack is still carrying an injury, and his fitness isn't where it should ideally be. This is why I sense a reluctance to start Jack particularly in knockout games where extra time is a distinct possibility. 

The last thing we as Villa fans want is Jack's shin injury to flare up and spend another 3 months out. He will probably need a full month off after the tournament to rest his shin. Then another month to build back his fitness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Anyone got a Telegraph subscription. They've run something today about Villa being hopeful he'll sign a new £150k pw contract. 

Absolutely Villa mad, beyond mere fanhood.  Plenty of players not even as good as him have walked out on their clubs at the first opportunity, see Rooney - once a blue always a blue. 

The richest of rich owners who are determined to keep him and grow our ambitions with him. 

We've been truly blessed by circumstances, never in our modern history would be have kept him even this long before. 

I think it is the same one that was posted yesterday--see below.

Aston Villa are very hopeful that Jack Grealish will sign a new contract at the club this summer which will end any discussion of a move away for the England international in the near future.

There has been growing interest in Grealish throughout the year with a figure of £100 million estimated as the transfer fee, although it has never been the intention of Villa to sell. His weekly basic wage before bonuses is estimated to be around £100,000-a-week and any new deal would likely increase that baseline to around £150,000-a-week.

The Villa ownership have always made clear in private that they are serious about keeping their best player, a homegrown prodigy who has been at the club since the age of six, and the wealth of the individuals involved at Villa means that the offer of a British record transfer fee would not necessarily be decisive. 

Grealish signed a new contract at the club in September which secures his future until 2025 and an improved deal would likely extend that for at least one year.

There has been much discussion of a £100m buyout clause in the latest deal agreed between club and player although neither side have ever confirmed its existence. Any new deal would not have a buyout clause.

A new contract for Grealish would be a clear line in the sand that the club are not prepared to sell their best talent. Grealish was hours away from joining Tottenham Hotspur in 2018 before the takeover of the club by American investor Wes Edens and his business partner Nassef Sawiris, an Egyptian billionaire. Since then Grealish has signed two new deals that have made him the best-paid player at the club.

Manchester City’s interest in the player has been the key feature of the uncertainty around his future at Villa. While the player is much admired by Pep Guardiola and his star player Kevin De Bruyne, the signing of Grealish would be a very expensive and potentially difficult deal for the Premier League champions to complete.

In the meantime Villa have made a positive start to the summer market with the club-record signing of Spanish midfielder Emi Buendia from Norwich City for £33 million. Buendia was told that the club see him as ideally compatible with Grealish.

Grealish turns 26 in September and has become a regular for England within the last 12 months. Villa are ambitious to move on from their 11th place finish last season and push for European football, an aim to which Grealish would be key.

Another year at Villa gives both player and club chance to see how far they can go together

Analysis by Sam Wallace

This was always likely to be the summer at which Jack Grealish arrived at the crossroads of his career, but with such wealthy owners at Aston Villa it is the club who control the situation.

The decision to give the 25-year-old a new deal in September has been vindicated by Grealish’s performances over a season in which he has progressed again, in spite of injury problems. Unlike Tottenham Hotspur, who have a disenchanted Harry Kane to mollify, there are more years on Grealish’s contract and tangible ambition at the club for the 2021/22 season. Villa have an experienced manager in place and the signing of Buendia was a sign that they are prepared to invest in the future.

If Grealish was serious about leaving the club then signing a contract until 2025 in a depressed pandemic-hit transfer market, which has even the wealthiest ownerships thinking twice about big transfer fees, has greatly diminished those chances. 

In his public remarks the Villa academy boy has always been open about his intention to join Spurs in 2018. That deal was abandoned when the club was bought by the current ownership.

Since then the development of Villa as a stable Premier League club has been significant, and their ambitions of playing in European competition match with that of their star player.

Selling Grealish this summer would not make sense to Villa, and incentivising him with a new deal would at least give both parties space. Naturally Grealish wants to play Champions League football and another year with Villa – on a bigger salary package - would give him and the club the opportunity to see how far they might go together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I wish he would sign a new contract before he continues to impress for England.  All this exposure will persuade City to pay very big money for him. 

He most likely won't sign a new contract for a while and really why does he need to when he's under one already, there is no rush.

Unless Grealish or his Agent are really wanting an improvement on the old contract, then I'm not sure it will happen for a while.

Now if Grealishnext season is apart of the team that ends up getting is qualification to Europe then sure there is also something to suggest there's a reason why a contract talk should take place. As it stands from when he last signed a contract to now,, not much has changed has it apart from some media talking about clubs wanting to sign Jack and that could be false news.

16 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Do you think £150k pw is enough, I had assumed £180k - £200k if we were serious about keeping him.

At the end of the day it’s all about whether at the end of his career he wants to look at some Premier League medals and potentially a CL medal, or a statue of him outside the Holte End.

Let’s hope he has a chat with Alan Shearer who made that choice when leaving Blackburn.

I suppose the biggest difference was that Shearer had already got a Premier League medal in his back pocket…

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

He most likely won't sign a new contract for a while and really why does he need to when he's under one already, there is no rush.

Unless Grealish or his Agent are really wanting an improvement on the old contract, then I'm not sure it will happen for a while.

Now if Grealishnext season is apart of the team that ends up getting is qualification to Europe then sure there is also something to suggest there's a reason why a contract talk should take place. As it stands from when he last signed a contract to now,, not much has changed has it apart from some media talking about clubs wanting to sign Jack and that could be false news.

I think what he delivers for Villa on and off the pitch is chalk and cheese between this year and last year (when he signed his contract).  Not to recognise that is a sure way to lose him.

53 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

personally I don't think Southgate is swayed by the crowd  , but that said  I could have sworn the commentators said Henderson and Sancho were coming on ... and a few moments later we saw a kinda glum looking Jack sitting in the stands 

next thing he was on the pitch  

so something changed his mind and he "pulled a Homer"

I reckon the Germans nearly scoring maybe got Southgate to rethink his subs, we needed an answer and Grealish was that answer.

I think if Southgate hadn't of bought Grealish on then we'd of been having a trip home from the Euro's.

It does my head in that our lad who Southgate has been a tit with is now the one digging that rocket polisher out of trouble.

I noticed he's now got 2m instawhack followers.

It's only a couple of months ago he celebrated 1m followers so it's doubled in a couple of months.

I bet it doubles again to 4m if not more within the year.  He really is on a journey.

39 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Foden and DeBruyne had 36 starts all comps, and Mahrez had 37  starts in all comps. Pep likes to rotate his players.

Jack's stats Compared to Foden (who played 9 more games) are clearly superior, so it baffles me when people talk about Foden starting ahead of Jack. Jack is also clearly a more complete player. 

Wow, I knew he rotated but didnt realise that they're on the bench for so many games. I'd only seen something showing games they'd played which was 50 plus. Is that starts including international too? If so, those three only start 60-65% ish of the games Man City play?

I agree re. Foden.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â