Global Warming and Climate Protest

ender4

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

Posted (edited)

Disastrous and unusual weather patterns; records being broken everywhere year on year. Still, governments, corporations and individuals refuse to take any serious action. It’s so deflating.

Edited by DaoDeMings

28 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Disastrous and unusual weather patterns; records being broken everywhere year on year. Still, governments, corporations and individuals refuse to take any serious action. It’s so deflating.

It's a big let down for sure. 

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

How hot is that in temperatures?

Jeepers - 133f is 56c - that's a pizza oven!

For Beef, 56C is medium rare.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I was reading a (very) long article a few weeks ago that made me feel a lot better about the way things are headed. It was pointing out that solar is growing ludicrously quickly - it's gone exponential, and has been massively outstripping "sensible" forecasts of solar capacity for a couple of decades now. This is true even though the sensible forecasts get revised upwards every couple of years to take into account the fact that the actual growth is massively outstripping what had previously been predicted.

The installed solar capacity of the world is increasing by a factor of ten every ten years, and it currently provides 6% of the world's electricity. All the politicians have to do to take advantage of this is not ban the import of Chinese solar panels, because they're being produced at a loss in vast quantities by China because China are trying to corner the market in green tech.

I can try and dig it up if anyone is interested. Made a nice change from the doom and gloom you usually see, and the numbers seemed persuasive.

image.png.47e80600eb9f97743a94062d716ea2b3.png

Edited by Panto_Villan
attached a graph
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I was reading a (very) long article a few weeks ago that made me feel a lot better about the way things are headed. It was pointing out that solar is growing ludicrously quickly - it's gone exponential, and has been massively outstripping "sensible" forecasts of solar capacity for a couple of decades now. This is true even though the sensible forecasts get revised upwards every couple of years to take into account the fact that the actual growth is massively outstripping what had previously been predicted.

The installed solar capacity of the world is increasing by a factor of ten every ten years, and it currently provides 6% of the world's electricity. All the politicians have to do to take advantage of this is not ban the import of Chinese solar panels, because they're being produced at a loss in vast quantities by China because China are trying to corner the market in green tech.

I can try and dig it up if anyone is interested. Made a nice change from the doom and gloom you usually see, and the numbers seemed persuasive.

I watched something on YouTube last year that indicated that things are improving. It also gave me a bit of hope. 

14 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

There are a lot of studies being done about how solar can co-exist with crop growth.

Not only can it IMPROVE conditions for some crops due to the partial shading, but it can also reclaim a lot of currently unusable land and repurpose it for farming.  The shading can help scorched earth and vertical solar can help wind blowing topsoil away.

One in the eye for "it takes away land valuable for food productions" brigade.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

There are a lot of studies being done about how solar can co-exist with crop growth.

Not only can it IMPROVE conditions for some crops due to the partial shading, but it can also reclaim a lot of currently unusable land and repurpose it for farming.  The shading can help scorched earth and vertical solar can help wind blowing topsoil away.

One in the eye for "it takes away land valuable for food productions" brigade.

Suspect it's probably quite hard to harvest the crops under the panels though, as I imagine they don't have enough ground clearance to drive a tractor / combine harvester under. But that'll be less of an issue in the poorer parts of the world.

The other interesting thing about solar energy is that once the panels have been set up, the energy is basically free. If things go anything like what was predicted in the article then the next couple of decades are going to be fascinating.

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

Suspect it's probably quite hard to harvest the crops under the panels though, as I imagine they don't have enough ground clearance to drive a tractor / combine harvester under. But that'll be less of an issue in the poorer parts of the world.

The other interesting thing about solar energy is that once the panels have been set up, the energy is basically free. If things go anything like what was predicted in the article then the next couple of decades are going to be fascinating.

You just build them on tall structures.  or vertical arrays.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

This is the problem for governments and Energy companies. They don't want it!

18 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

This is the problem for governments and Energy companies. They don't want it!

Why wouldn't "governments" want it? There is tax due at the deployment, the maintenance (panels and grid) ann the consumer. Any reduction in tax revenue is likely more than offset b fulfilling the commitments they've made about reducing CO2 emissions. It also gives them a little leeway on some of the things we have to change that people really won't like. 

Posted (edited)

Right. Let's get those land based wind turbines installed toot sweet. 

And change planning law so grid connections and upgrades can be made in months instead of literally decades. 

Time is a ticking for mankind. 

Edited by sidcow

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, limpid said:

Why wouldn't "governments" want it?

You live in a country where the government threw their core voters under the deadly Delta bus to cash in.

Edited by Xann

On 05/07/2024 at 07:41, OutByEaster? said:

How hot is that in temperatures?

Jeepers - 133f is 56c - that's a pizza oven!

Death Valley is generally the second hottest place on earth anyway. When I was there it was a fairly normal 112f and that was in the early 90s. It was so hot you had to turn the air on in the car off just to get out of the valley. Seriously insane temperatures

2 hours ago, blandy said:

IMG_3887.jpeg

all right away. Tout suite

😛

I even bloody googled it and toot sweet came up as English spelling 😡

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It seems Heat Pumps and EVs are heading for a record year. How come The Telegraph, Mail and Express aren't running constant stories about this like they did when there was a dip last year? 

• 1 month later...

Experts Concerned as Australia Hits Record-Breaking Heatwave in Winter

It's winter in Australia, but as you've probably noticed, the weather is unusually warm. The top temperatures over large parts of the country this weekend were well above average for this time of year.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts-concerned-as-australia-hits-record-breaking-heatwave-in-winter

My wife commented earlier that we’d had a shit summer. No we’ve had a decent summer, maybe bit on the wet side but temperatures are what they should be.  I’ve certainly noticed our winters are getting milder which is equally as horrible as days in the summer months where it’s extreme heat. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Experts Concerned as Australia Hits Record-Breaking Heatwave in Winter

It's winter in Australia, but as you've probably noticed, the weather is unusually warm. The top temperatures over large parts of the country this weekend were well above average for this time of year.

https://www.sciencealert.com/experts-concerned-as-australia-hits-record-breaking-heatwave-in-winter

I reckon large parts of Australia are going to be completely uninhabitable soon. Probably an ecological disaster for wilife to boot. 

Ironic as Australia had the MOST climate denial Government for decades and have very rapidly become a green superpower. Just too late 😩

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â