Global Warming and Climate Protest

ender4

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

So the only way to avoid 2% temperature rise on rare lichens is to coat them in cornflour.  I was not aware of that. No pain no gain I guess.

I don’t think it’s literally the only way, but it does appear to be the best way to keep the issue live and discussed.

16 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Who do you think is doing more damage to the environment and the rare lichen you care about so much, Just Stop Oil or petrochemical companies? 

JSO - Lichens have been on this planet over 400 million years and have survived global temperature rises far in excess of the oft quoted 2 degrees multiple times.

But don't let the fossil record & geological  science get in the way of a nonsensical argument in the defence of the indefensible

They did not think about any environmental impact of what they were doing

They did not think of the optics of what they were doing

They are not going to influence people positively with their actions

And I'm saying that who shares their goal, they aren't helping

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Who do you think is doing more damage to the environment and the rare lichen you care about so much, Just Stop Oil or petrochemical companies? 

Thee petrochemical companies very obviously.  So just stop oil should go park their tanks on their lawn, not the moss of Stonehenge.  It's like you've not read what I've written at all.  it's not about one or the other.  it's about picking the stupid one to vandalise.  And it is really, really stupid.

Paste their paint up against the front window of BP HQ and they'll be all over the news and I'll be applauding them all the way.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

JSO - Lichens have been on this planet over 400 million years and have survived global temperature rises far in excess of the oft quoted 2 degrees multiple times.

But don't let the fossil record & geological  science get in the way of a nonsensical argument in the defence of the indefensible

They did not think about any environmental impact of what they were doing

They did not think of the optics of what they were doing

They are not going to influence people positively with their actions

And I'm saying that who shares their goal, they aren't helping

Sorry, but this is laughable. If people are concerned about biodiversity, the greatest threat is undoubtedly climate change. The petrochemical industry has a significant impact on global greenhouse gas emissions.

https://www.un.org/en/climatechange/science/climate-issues/biodiversity

Climate change and biodiversity loss (as well as pollution) are part of an interlinked triple planetary crisis the world is facing today. They need to be tackled together if we are to advance the Sustainable Development Goals and secure a viable future on this planet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thee petrochemical companies very obviously.  So just stop oil should go park their tanks on their lawn, not the moss of Stonehenge.  It's like you've not read what I've written at all.  it's not about one or the other.  it's about picking the stupid one to vandalise.  And it is really, really stupid.

Paste their paint up against the front window of BP HQ and they'll be all over the news and I'll be applauding them all the way.

I’m not sure how I feel about the Stonehenge thing really. But their aim is to raise awareness by targeting high-profile sites/events. And they have succeeded in raising awareness. But obviously there needs to be nuance - maybe Stonehenge isn’t the best target.

My issue is with people suddenly becoming concerned about the potential damage to be a bit of lichen. Climate change is clearly the bigger threat to our biodiversity (amongst other things - or everything, really) than this protest.

The Supreme Court has just ruled that environmental impact must come into consideration in planning applications for future extraction projects. I think JSO have a part in bringing the issue to public attention. I’m not convinced that all of their tactics work, but personally I don’t think this issue would be as firmly on the agenda as it is without them.

The way we’re going, something catastrophic is going to happen before governments start really doing anything about climate change. By that time it may well be too late. Personally, I sympathise with the people trying to raise awareness of the genuinely evil actions of the petrochemical industry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

1963: CND

spacer.png

1968: Cymru Rydd

spacer.png

Probably both done by the very generation now so scathing of protest.

First one looks more like  Mercedes than CND. The automotive bastards. 

In fairness, a lot of the JSO, XR and Insulate  Britain protestors seem to be from that generation.  And I'm sure plenty of those that  are scathing of protest now would have also been then

• 2 weeks later...

Just shoot me 🤬 About to head east to Rhode Island in a few days. It will cooler there, though way more humid, but I would still rather stay here in the ungodly heat than visit my (extremely German) mother-in-law 

IMG-0059.png

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Shocked 2

The Caribbean is getting absolutely battered by Hurricane Beryl(gone from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5 and is approaching Jamaica now). My missus' family in St Lucia has sent her some videos and it looks pretty grim. 

Whilst it’s hurricane season over there and they are pretty much are used to them, they don’t usually get them this strong. I’m sure there’s only been a handful of them that are this strong (Irma and Sandy off the top of my head) Especially so early into the hurricane season, it normally peaks around September and are more than likely a cat 3 hurricane.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

The Caribbean is getting absolutely battered by Hurricane Beryl(gone from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5 and is approaching Jamaica now). My missus' family in St Lucia has sent her some videos and it looks pretty grim. 

Whilst it’s hurricane season over there and they are pretty much are used to them, they don’t usually get them this strong. I’m sure there’s only been a handful of them that are this strong (Irma and Sandy off the top of my head) Especially so early into the hurricane season, it normally peaks around September and are more than likely a cat 3 hurricane.

Exactly, hurricanes on July 2 is a totally new frontier 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 29/06/2024 at 14:02, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Just shoot me 🤬 About to head east to Rhode Island in a few days. It will cooler there, though way more humid, but I would still rather stay here in the ungodly heat than visit my (extremely German) mother-in-law 

IMG-0059.png

Came home from San Francisco with COVID, so had to reschedule the Rhode Island trip. Meaning now we have to ride out this unrelenting heatwave 🙄🤬

And yes, I am fully aware that my previous statement regarding visiting my MIL is a prime example of not being careful with what I wished 😜

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

Posted (edited)

This is happening in Oroville, the neighboring town to our south/our county seat. The town itself is about 17 miles south of Chico but as far as I know the fire is about 25-30 miles away.

Both Chico and Oroville border the town of Paradise, which some of you may remember as being nearly destroyed in the 2018 Camp Fire that killed almost 100 people. We personally know many people who lost everything but fortunately no one we knew died. Paradise is even closer to me than Oroville. At its closest the Camp Fire was 7-8 miles from my house 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

This is happening in Oroville, the neighboring town to our south/our county seat. The town itself is about 17 miles south of Chico but as far as I know the fire is about 25-30 miles away.

Both Chico and Oroville border the town of Paradise, which some of you may remember as being nearly destroyed in the 2018 Camp Fire that killed almost 100 people. We personally know many people who lost everything but fortunately no one we knew died. Paradise is even closer to me than Oroville. At its closest the Camp Fire was 7-8 miles from my house 

Yeah, but all the Democrats do is talk about electric this and electric that. WHAT ABOUT THE SHARKS?? 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, but all the Democrats do is talk about electric this and electric that. WHAT ABOUT THE SHARKS?? 

The Sharks suck, they didn’t even make the playoffs this year 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Keep yourself safe, bud. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â