Global Warming and Climate Protest

ender4

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

29 minutes ago, Xann said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001y1yg?at_mid=3gDm8FibX5

We're a little behind the times, what with the fossil fuel industry spreading disinformation and buying politicians to ensure we've kept going back to the pumps.

We just keep plopping into traps.

Yep, anyone who thinks China isn't going to dominate the automotive industry are delusional.  Some very big well known legacy car manufacturers will fail in the next few years.  Like MG they will probably end up as a design house/brand name for Chinese companies.

• 3 weeks later...

Record-breaking rain over the past few months has left fields of crops under water and livestock's health at risk, adding to pressures on food producers.

The flooding and extreme weather linked to climate change will undermine UK food production unless farmers get more help, the National Farmers Union said.

The NFU is calling on the government to do more to compensate flooded farmers and support domestic food production.

The government said it was looking to expand a new compensation scheme.

The NFU has warned of "substantially reduced output" and "potential hits" to the quality of crops in this year's harvest thanks to weeks of rain since the autumn.

NFU vice president Rachel Hallos said UK farmers were "on the front line of climate change - one of the biggest threats to UK food security".

BBC

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, limpid said:

Govt: We've done absolutely nothing and they still aren't happy.

Is this just an example of Woke food production? It rain's sometimes. 

Edited by sidcow

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What would we say was the most damaging to stone henge, pollution or cornflour?

Does the cornflour have nuclear weapons in it?

On 17/05/2024 at 13:58, bickster said:

I see the gender wars have hit the Scottish Green party (different party but affiliated to England and Wales one) There have been expulsions of the biological gender mob to prevent the trans mob feeling threatened

A Green Party having infighting about gender… jeeze, you’d think they’d be last people fighting over this. 

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're not endorsed by the Greens are they?

No I don’t believe they are.

Do you reckon they’ll be asked for an opinion on it?

It felt like the most relevant thread, there will be constituencies such as in Bristol where this will absolutely be blamed on all lentil weavers by some other candidates. Ed Davey was instantly on it. He’d been planning a squirrel wing suit dive through stone henge and this has ruined it.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ed Davey was instantly on it. He’d been planning a squirrel wing suit dive through stone henge and this has ruined it.

That tickled me :)

On your original point, obviously the pollution is worse. If this does turn out to be cornflour that just washes right off in the rain, meh, but I would be concerned that the dyes included to make it orange permeate the stone and irreparably damage it, in which case I'd throw the **** book at them. 

I see why they do it, because when they do go after the big oil HQs, nobody gives a ****. So they go for targets that make people take notice. The problem is that I reckon even among the people who agree with their goals, the majority think that they're clearings in the woods.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn in years to come that they've been infiltrated by bad actors (funded by the likes of the big oil companies, not just some lads off Eastenders), because if you want to turn the public against you, this is how to do it.

• Like 1

And the inevitable follow up question is "well how do you protest without pissing people off" to which the question is you do it in a quiet field, out of the way, for 13 minutes on a Sunday afternoon, ideally while there's something good on the telly. And nobody will care or notice.

Personally I couldn't give much of a toss about people marching down streets and disrupting things, or chucking paint over paintings protected by perspex, but risking damage to an important cultural heritage site is several steps too far for me.

Bit of a dick move doing it right before the solstice, if nothing else, if there's one group of people who probably agree with JSO, it's the druids.

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

What would we say was the most damaging to stone henge, pollution or cornflour?

HS2.  Probably.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

And the inevitable follow up question is "well how do you protest without pissing people off" to which the question is you do it in a quiet field, out of the way, for 13 minutes on a Sunday afternoon, ideally while there's something good on the telly. And nobody will care or notice.

Personally I couldn't give much of a toss about people marching down streets and disrupting things, or chucking paint over paintings protected by perspex, but risking damage to an important cultural heritage site is several steps too far for me.

Bit of a dick move doing it right before the solstice, if nothing else, if there's one group of people who probably agree with JSO, it's the druids.

It’s important to recognise that the actions of oil and gas companies will damage cultural heritage sites massively. That is the point of the protest. Would their argument not be that governments should be ‘throwing the book’ at these companies because of that damage?

And it’s cornflour. We’re getting into ‘if Farage had been hit by a brick’ territory. He wasn’t, it was a milkshake. There will be no lasting damage to Stonehenge, it’s cornflour.

Edited by DaoDeMings

5 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

And it’s cornflour. We’re getting into ‘if Farage had been hit by a brick’ territory. He wasn’t, it was a milkshake. There will be no lasting damage to Stonehenge, it’s cornflour.

It's cornflour with fluorescent dye. Hopefully you're right and it'll all be washed off by the weekend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DaoDeMings said:

What is the effect of the dye and the cornflower on the rare lichens that grow on the stones?

Some of the lichen is very rare and some are very oddly species that usually only grow in marine environments, so salt is thought to be an essential element for their survival, what the effect of cornflour here is, I don't know but... there's something else I do know about cornflour, it isn't easily soluble in water, so the it'll just wash off in the rain line is rather lacking in knowledge. I presume JSO have never actually done any cooking, even if you make a cornflour paste the water and cornflour soon separate. The it's just cornflour line just proves how little actual brainpower went into the "protest" 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

English heritage have reported ‘no damage’. Higher risk of damage from wobbly Druids over the next 24 hours.

Apparently they "blew it off". At least I think that's what I heard on the news this morning. I wasn't really listening that carefully if I'm honest.

Just now, choffer said:

Apparently they "blew it off". At least I think that's what I heard on the news this morning. I wasn't really listening that carefully if I'm honest.

Yep, same. Wasn’t really listening but didn’t sound like English Heritage were that bothered.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep, same. Wasn’t really listening but didn’t sound like English Heritage were that bothered.

EH are only really bothered about the stones though aren't they. I doubt they've had the Lichen experts in and I doubt the effect on the lichen would be readily apparent yet

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â