bickster

Who will top the group?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Who will top the group?

• England
    • USA
    • Algeria
    • Slovenia

It's been essentially the same core group of players for the last 3 tournaments and they're getting progressively worse, the squad needs an overhaul, we've persisted with the Gerrard/Lampard combination for far far too long. Gerrard's not even any good for Liverpool anymore!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want us to have a big win, comfortable, controlled but I want it to be a challange and I want us to be tested because I don't think we will be in our other two group games. I don't want us to thrash the US side and for everyone to get carried away, put the boys under more pressure and then us not play a decent side again to the Quarter Final as I think I know what would happen.

Or you could end up with 4 points from the group and go out.

Yea, it's not going to happen. You keep wishing though.

You're right actually.

It's hardly being arrogant to say that England will qualify comfortably.

I'd say that was quite an arrogant attitude, yes.

It isn't Jon.

explain why.

there is a world of difference between "will" and "should", and therein lies the arrogance.

If you'd rather sit on the fence by saying we should qualify, then fair enough. I'd say it was pretty obvious we should qualify.

We will qualify from that group.

:lol:

Oh, so we can't qualify anymore? Shame, I was under the impression its still in our hands and win in the week will see us through?

That was no better than when McLaren was in charge, no better at all. In fact the tactics were pretty much the same he may as well have been there on the sidelines with his umbrella.

Damn right. Why can't we have a manager who doesn't pick on reputation? Lumplard, Stevie Starfish and Roonarse were all absolute shite today, they should all be dropped after that shit performance, will Crapello have the balls? WILL HE ****

That was no better than when McLaren was in charge, no better at all. In fact the tactics were pretty much the same he may as well have been there on the sidelines with his umbrella.

I'm pretty sure it was worse.

I don't want us to have a big win, comfortable, controlled but I want it to be a challange and I want us to be tested because I don't think we will be in our other two group games. I don't want us to thrash the US side and for everyone to get carried away, put the boys under more pressure and then us not play a decent side again to the Quarter Final as I think I know what would happen.

You're right actually.

It isn't Jon.

explain why.

there is a world of difference between "will" and "should", and therein lies the arrogance.

If you'd rather sit on the fence by saying we should qualify, then fair enough. I'd say it was pretty obvious we should qualify.

Oh, so we can't qualify anymore? Shame, I was under the impression its still in our hands and win in the week will see us through?

Whatever man. Those posts, in light of how the World Cup has gone for England, make you look like a clearing in the woods, no matter what the result against Slovenia is.

I'm just hedging my bets now in case England do qualify.

You're right actually.

It isn't Jon.

explain why.

Whatever man. Those posts, in light of how the World Cup has gone for England, make you look like a clearing in the woods, no matter what the result against Slovenia is.

I'm just hedging my bets now in case England do qualify.

Couldnt care less what they make me look like.

I know you're desperate for England to crash and burn, but it's not happened just yet.

Come back on Wednesday night and we'll see how things have gone though.

:)

It's been essentially the same core group of players for the last 3 tournaments and they're getting progressively worse, the squad needs an overhaul, we've persisted with the Gerrard/Lampard combination for far far too long. Gerrard's not even any good for Liverpool anymore!

Time to groom the next generation of players. Hart, Dawson, Walcott etc.

They say that we always end up turning into our fathers.

What I mean by that is that this group of players who've been the back bone of England since Peter Taylor really has been hailed the golden generation and was needed as there were too many cliches in the camp previously with the Ince's and Adams's and the like being all pally, yet to me they have become the very thing that they were hailed as being nothing like and were a new generation. The Ferdinands, Gerrards, Lampards, James's, Ashley Coles, hell Beckham is still part of it. I'm afraid that while players join up who are powerhouses in terms of the clubs they play for and the money they bring, and while such players see part of joining up as a covert tapping up of players of upcoming clubs on behalf of their Italian or scottish manager then frankly England will always be a sideshow for these players.

For £6m a year you would have thought capello could afford tje mclaren years dvd

We wont do a thing until we admit our stars arent performing but its easier to blame milner or heskey than it is to say **** off frank

It would take a huge manger to drop our imo only world class international player but according to the spin thats what he is

After last nights inept showing I began to look at the cull of players before the Euro qualifiers - if this is the supposed 'golden era' of English football then we're in the shit big time.

What was obvious to me last night is certain players think they know better than the manager - Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard didn't break into a sweat, were out of position and did not contribute to the match at all.

I think with all the money they're paid, they have no desire as there's no consequence to winning or losing. Rooney's comments (although in the heat of the moment) show how removed players are from fans now - it'd cost £5k-£10k (rough guess) to follow England throughout the WC which to many footballers is a fraction of their weekly wage but a shit load to us mere mortals.

After the WC it will be time for a cull, in which hopefully we'll put some of our 'stars' to seed and blood the younger, more hungry players...

Out fo the current 23 man squad - i'd drop 12 of them!

David James - retire

Glen Johnson - retain

Ashley Cole - retain

Steven Gerrard - retire

Michael Dawson - retain

John Terry - retain

Aaron Lennon - retain

Frank Lampard - retire

Peter Crouch - retain

Wayne Rooney - retain

Joe Cole - retire

Robert Green - retire

Stephen Warnock - retain

Gareth Barry - retain

Matt Upson - retire

James Milner - retain

Shaun Wright-Phillips - retire

Jamie Carragher - retire

Jermain Defoe - retire

Ledley King - retire

Emile Heskey - retire

Michael Carrick - retire

Joe Hart - retain

However, I haven't quite given up on the WC just yet - surely the players can't play that badly again and must be hurting!!! A win over Slovenia sneaks us through!!!

For the next game we should drop heskey and lennon and lampard

crouch, milner and joe cole. Dawson in for the suspended carragher as well.

either that or have crouch and defoe up front, rooney just in behind them and a 3 man midfield of barry gerrard and joe cole.

It's too late for this generation of English players to catch up with "continental" (i.e. not British or Scandinavian) sides in terms of technique and tactical awareness. A series of managers have tried to drag England kicking and screaming away from their traditional style of play, but it's just led to them looking dull and directionless as they try and fail to play their opponents at their own game.

With that in mind, I have a question: why don't England just go back to long ball? At present, after a bit of sideways passing, they still tend to resort to high balls due to a lack of composure and creativity. So why not set out with aerial bombardment as their game plan, rather than an unplanned last resort? Instead of suffering from it, they could embrace it. With a couple of guys providing decent delivery (Downing, Milner, Bentley, whoever) and the likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney feeding off a freakshow like Crouch, England have everything needed to be a pretty fearsome long ball side. This would surely be far more likely to knock opponents out of their comfort zone than England's current non-tactics.

Just seen on Sky that should results fall in a certain way on Wednesday (can't remember the exact scores required) that progress from our group could be decided by drawing lots. Can you imagine that :D

Aye, if it ends up with us 2-2 and US game at 0-0 then it goes to lots. Basically, if we draw we need to score 3 more than the US do against Algeria and hope USA doesn't win.

Is it possible for Slovenia and England to go through. And 2nd question, could England go through with a draw? Where is avfc prideofbrum when you need him.

Yep, if we win and USA draw then both us and Slovenia go through. Algeria can still go through if they beat USA but they need to score 4 more than Slovenia or something like that 8)

(I think)

Though that performance was terrible; I don't think it can all be put down to Capello not being brave enough to drop the "stars".

I don't know many people who, when making "their England Team", would have left out Rooney, Gerrard or Lampard.

It just looked like every player was missing every pass, lacking in confidence/ overcome with the pressure/ scared of Capello's wrath?.... What ever it was, Capello has to make some changes now. Whether it's dropping players/ switching formation/ or trying to motivate them to their best. Something needs to change.

If we win we win the group if USA don't beat Algeria

If we draw 2-2 with Slovenia and USA v Algeria ends 0-0 our fate will be decided by drawing lots!!!!!!!

For England and Slovenia to progress it would need an England win and a draw between USA and Algeria.