Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

4 hours ago, AJG23 said:

She was one of the lead characters in a series The Path about a cult/religious movement a few years ago. Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad played her husband.

It was excellent….tried to copy and paste the IMDB page in case anyone was interested but couldn’t get it to work….☹️

This was a good show, semed to end without a proper conclusioin if I recall.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

finished my second watch of chernobyl, this time with the wife, she didnt know anything about it, never heard of it 

You mean she didn't know there was a TV series, or she'd never heard of what happened at Chernobyl? 

Stuff like that never fails to amaze me. (I guess because I'm old enough to consider 1986 as 'recent events', rather than 'history').  

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You mean she didn't know there was a TV series, or she'd never heard of what happened at Chernobyl? 

Stuff like that never fails to amaze me. (I guess because I'm old enough to consider 1986 as 'recent events', rather than 'history').  

she'd never heard of what happened!

she was born in 88, she hates history so didnt pay much attention to it at school whereas it was my favourite subject so i did but at the same time its always interesting to try and find out what the curriculum here is because it sounds completely different to ours, its often very weird that i know far more about german history than she does, forget the nazis which i get they skim over but stuff like bismarck etc she's oblivious to any of it, i do know that my niece is learning about native americans in school which we didnt and i wish we had

8 hours ago, AJG23 said:

She was one of the lead characters in a series The Path about a cult/religious movement a few years ago. Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad played her husband.

It was excellent….tried to copy and paste the IMDB page in case anyone was interested but couldn’t get it to work….☹️

I omitted it because I didn’t think all that highly of it. Wasn’t awful but just seemed to tread water. That said, it seems so long ago that we watched it. Was it during/around COVID? That period screwed with my sense of time on a monumental level 

Gary Oldman is fantastic in Slow Horses and it feels like they upped the level of sass in his dialogue even further for s4. Good stuff.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Gary Oldman is fantastic in Slow Horses and it feels like they upped the level of sass in his dialogue even further for s4. Good stuff.

Indeed. That scene in Catherine Standish’s flat 

IMG-9034.gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Might just be me, but man, the first episode went by in the blink of an eye! I needed more 

1 minute ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Might just be me, but man, the first episode went by in the blink of an eye! I needed more 

Yeah, felt very short. Bit annoying for shows that are on a weekly schedule. That Lord of the Rings show is hot garbage but at least the episodes are an hour or longer :D 

Edited by sne

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, felt very short. Bit annoying for shows that are on a weekly schedule. That Lord of the Rings show is hot garbage but at least the episodes are an hour or longer :D 

A heaping helping of garbage is still garbage 😉

Just started re watching Slow Horses. So good when they do the books justice. I know there's a 5th season but not heard of anything beyond that which is a shame. I wonder whether they would do the prequel based on the book last year.

Anyway can't wait but will be doing so by watching the old series first to try and give me a few episodes to watch in one go. 

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

finished my second watch of chernobyl, this time with the wife, she didnt know anything about it, never heard of it and started with zero interest in it, she also doesn't like tv shows set in the past or of a historical nature...she loved it, the writing in it really is just that good, its not just the story its the way they tell it, the way they can turn the boring sciencey stuff in to something relatively simple and understandable and largely irrelevant at times 

would say on 2nd viewing dyatlov is maybe a bit of a cartoon villain but still a good one

its proper top tier TV, probably because its a limited service it doesnt get the credit it deserves or is in the conversations that it could be but it should be heralded up there with the sopranos and the wire

It is rated 5th best tv series of all time on IMDB with over 800,000 votes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

This was a good show, semed to end without a proper conclusioin if I recall.

I thought it was excellent, but yes the third season ended with a major event which looked like it was set up for the fourth season but that never happened.

Definitely seemed as though it still had plenty of life in it but it all just ended abruptly.

4 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I omitted it because I didn’t think all that highly of it. Wasn’t awful but just seemed to tread water. That said, it seems so long ago that we watched it. Was it during/around COVID? That period screwed with my sense of time on a monumental level 

It ran from 2016 to 2018 I think. I’m sure I watched the first series then kind of forgot about it, then when season 3 came out I watched the whole thing right through season 1 to 3. Thought the first season was ok but then I watched the whole thing I enjoyed it a lot more.

i don’t think it ever had high viewing figures but a lot of critics gave it good reviews.

1 minute ago, AJG23 said:

It ran from 2016 to 2018 I think. I’m sure I watched the first series then kind of forgot about it, then when season 3 came out I watched the whole thing right through season 1 to 3. Thought the first season was ok but then I watched the whole thing I enjoyed it a lot more.

i don’t think it ever had high viewing figures but a lot of critics gave it good reviews.

👍👍 I do recall it getting good reviews overall but my own take didn’t quite jibe with the critics. It certainly had a good cast 

3 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

First two episodes dropped Tuesday. 👍👍 Trailer doesn't do it justice 

Yeah watched that yesterday.  It's good! Looking forward to the rest of it.  

• Like 1

On 04/09/2024 at 21:29, Nor-Cal Villan said:

👍👍 I do recall it getting good reviews overall but my own take didn’t quite jibe with the critics. It certainly had a good cast 

Totally different type of thing, but there was another series I watched a while back called Brotherhood that didn’t get good ratings on TV but was praised by critics. And it ended abruptly after 3 seasons.

Set in Rhode Island, it was about a gangster and his State Senator brother, very loosely based on Whitey and Billy Bulger. Not so much as based on their life stories, just the idea of two brothers in that situation and how their family and “business “ lives impacted each other. Well worth a watch to anyone that likes crime dramas. On Paramount Plus I think.

Edited by AJG23
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AJG23 said:

Totally different type of thing, but there was another series I watched a while back called Brotherhood that didn’t get good ratings on TV but was praised by critics. And it ended abruptly after 3 seasons.

Set in Rhode Island, it was about a gangster and his State Senator brother, very loosely based on Whitey and Billy Bulger. Not so much as based on their life stories, just the idea of two brothers in that situation and how their family and “business “ lives impacted each other. Well worth a watch to anyone that likes crime dramas. On Paramount Plus I think.

We loved that show! My wife is from Rhode Island so we were gonna watch regardless of quality. Great cast- Jason Isaacs, Jason Clarke, & Fionnula Flanagan. Really captured what an incredibly corrupt little state it is 🤣 Pretty damn accurate, except if it were a true story the brothers most likely would have been Italian. RI definitely has an Irish community but it’s nowhere near as significant as just across the northern border in Massachusetts 

12 hours ago, Jon said:

Yeah watched that yesterday.  It's good! Looking forward to the rest of it.  

IMG-0748.jpg

I’m already as all in as one can be with the Gwen character, played by Stephanie Koenig, who is also one of the brains behind the show. 

2 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

We loved that show! My wife is from Rhode Island so we were gonna watch regardless of quality. Great cast- Jason Isaacs, Jason Clarke, & Fionnula Flanagan. Really captured what an incredibly corrupt little state it is 🤣 Pretty damn accurate, except if it were a true story the brothers most likely would have been Italian. RI definitely has an Irish community but it’s nowhere near as significant as just across the northern border in Massachusetts 

I was a bit disappointed when it came to an end, especially with no real conclusion or ending.

Yes, great cast as you say. Jason Isaacs and Jason Clarke as the brothers, they were both put in their place by their matriarchal Mother at times.

Edited by AJG23

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â