Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Life on the Road was absolutely **** toilet

It’s been a while since I saw it. My overriding memory is it’s like The Office, the set ups, the awkward looks to camera…but not as good. I also think it was made ten years too late. 

I always contrast it with the Alan Partridge film, which I enjoyed partly because it took the character and put him in a situation I hadn’t seen him in before. It wasn’t a sort of awkward epilogue to the character.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s been a while since I saw it. My overriding memory is it’s like The Office, the set ups, the awkward looks to camera…but not as good. I also think it was made ten years too late. 

The concept is like The Office, but the execution is miles off. It's just really really bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The concept is like The Office, but the execution is miles off. It's just really really bad.

Its becasue the Office is based on a reality we all know and can empathize with.  We all know someone who is sort of like a character in it.

After life is a bit like the office but through a kaleidoscope of extreme unlikely characters that are just caricatures of who they should have been.  Make them just normal people as in the office with a little tiny quirk.  

After life is more like Hi-De-Hi than it is the office IMO.

• Like 2

Not even bothered with AL season 3. The last season was so laughingly awful in every facet, just crap acting and crap dialogue it astounds me it got made never made received good reviews. It's just so brazenly simple, fridge magnet philosophising about life. There's the odd individual scene, usually not involving RG, which is funny in fairness, but overall it's like the script is written by an algorithm. 

Though, having spent the past week introducing my partner to the experience that is Designated Survivor, there is far worse than After Life out there. DS is sensationally shit. The script, dear lord the script. Presumably made by teenagers who've done a bit of political research but then loaded every line with B movie corn, for nonsense characters that spout all that 'yay america' crap up to eleven. I know it got cancelled after 3 seasons, but christ. It is entertainingly shit. But also so frustrating. I mean you have this fantastically intriguing conceit, the one guy left after everyone else in government is killed off, and it just ruins it. The amount of twists and sub plots in one or two episodes alone that proper functioning adult writers would spend a focused series on is just absurd. Quite simply the worst piece of fiction - for the budget involved at least - that I have ever seen. Everyone involved should have hung their head in shame, and resigned from the acting and writing profession. 

So, we'll be watching season 2 next week then....

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I always contrast it with the Alan Partridge film, which I enjoyed partly because it took the character and put him in a situation I hadn’t seen him in before. It wasn’t a sort of awkward epilogue to the character.

The Office Xmas special was the perfect ending for Brent. It gave him a bit of redemption. Going out on a positive. You almost felt happy for him.

Life on the Road was Brent dialled back to his obnoxious worst. It was a film that didn't need to be made. 

Saying that, still a huge Gervais (and Merchant) fan. You simply will not top the XFM shows and The Office. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rodders said:

Though, having spent the past week introducing my partner to the experience that is Designated Survivor, there is far worse than After Life out there. DS is sensationally shit. The script, dear lord the script. Presumably made by teenagers who've done a bit of political research but then loaded every line with B movie corn, for nonsense characters that spout all that 'yay america' crap up to eleven. I know it got cancelled after 3 seasons, but christ. It is entertainingly shit. But also so frustrating. I mean you have this fantastically intriguing conceit, the one guy left after everyone else in government is killed off, and it just ruins it. The amount of twists and sub plots in one or two episodes alone that proper functioning adult writers would spend a focused series on is just absurd. Quite simply the worst piece of fiction - for the budget involved at least - that I have ever seen. Everyone involved should have hung their head in shame, and resigned from the acting and writing profession. 

So, we'll be watching season 2 next week then....

Season 1 was the high point IMO :D 

• Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Saying that, still a huge Gervais (and Merchant) fan. You simply will not top the XFM shows and The Office. 

This. The early podcasts too. Unreal stuff

Finished After Life. I like seasons 1 and 2.

I agree with most that Season 3 is absolute shite. It's like they've replaced any comedy with even more sentimentality and cheese. It's awful.

And they've done the classic mistakes like take things that were funny before and dialled it up so much that it's not funny any more. Like the two laddy friends of the psychiatrist. In Season 2 they were only in it a bit and they were really funny. In this they've gone "Oh people thought they were funny, let's put them in it more and MAKE IT REALLY FUNNY AND MAKE THEM EVEN LOUDER AND MORE OBNOXIOUS!!!!"

And it just isn't funny.

But the cheesy nonsense, good god it's cringe. "Angels are real Tony. But they don't have wings, they wear nurse's uniforms and work for the NHS"

Jesus **** christ

• Like 3

On 30/01/2022 at 21:52, tomav84 said:

the woman in the window opposite the woman in the house (i think?? cba to look up the correct name) on netflix was weirdly enjoyable. didn't take itself too seriously and the ending was so ludicrous it was actually good. worth a watch

Watched this over the weekend. Enjoyed it! Agree about the ending. I thought it was a spoof programme which I guess it is, but in the end it held up on its own as an entertaining silly mystery thriller.

Making our way through The Responder on BBC too, impressed with Freeman (and his accent!) so far (two episodes in).

Just finished episode 5 of Peacemaker. Ah this is such a great show. Very James Gunn of course. So, he's taken wooden wrestlers in Dave Batista (Guardians) and now John Cena (TSS and PM) and made them likeable!?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Just finished episode 5 of Peacemaker. Ah this is such a great show. Very James Gunn of course. So, he's taken wooden wrestlers in Dave Batista (Guardians) and now John Cena (TSS and PM) and made them likeable!?

Batista is really good in Bladerunner 2049 and Dune as well so he's obviously got something about him acting wise

2 hours ago, sne said:

Apparently it's based on a game of some sort, no idea what it's called.

Was the game that launched the X-Box back in around 2001. Halo is a legendary game (I'm not much of a gamer) but it's graphics and gameplay were just out of this world (no pun intended.) You could also link several boxes and play online which was revolutionary (was Halo the first game to do this?) I don't remember anything like capture the flag before Halo.

Anyway, looks stunning and I'm sure the script is absolute bobbins.

I'm binging Narcos once again. I'm now on the second season, which imo was the best one. That second episode where Pacho dances with his gay lover in the crowded bar is arguably the most powerful scene in the series, I thought the guy who played Pacho done an excellent job in playing such a controversial character. 

Incidentally, the song they played for the dance scene, "Dos gardenias " is now one of the highlights of my playlist. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â