Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

On 10/10/2020 at 13:48, sne said:

3 eps in and I'm enjoying the start of The Haunting of Bly Manor.

There is a lot of things that are familiar so far compared to Haunting of Hill House (settings, lighting, type of story...) and due to that you know what to look for in some scenes when people act in a certain way. But it's still good and if you like me enjoy this type of stuff you'll probably like this too.

Don't see it living up to Hill House in the end but that's OK.

Finished it now, I'd give it a 7/10. 

It' s all very familiar but never reaches the heights or the scare that Hill House did. It's just fine, but not perfectly splendid.

32 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Watched "Ratched" episode one.

Well, part of it, too boring.

Switched to Cobra Kai which is OK even with the hugely telegraphed storylines.

Oh and yet again a TV show that portrays US schools to be full of bullies, pricks and words removed.

can anyone from over there tell me if this is actually true?

Because every single TV show or movie involving high school or college makes US kids out to be absolutely **** horrendous.

I stuck with Ratched and quite liked the kookiness although it kind of lacked its own identity 

cobra Kai is a great slab of predictable cheesy popcorn programming but managed to be be very watchable 

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Watched "Ratched" episode one.

Well, part of it, too boring.

Switched to Cobra Kai which is OK even with the hugely telegraphed storylines.

Oh and yet again a TV show that portrays US schools to be full of bullies, pricks and words removed.

can anyone from over there tell me if this is actually true?

Because every single TV show or movie involving high school or college makes US kids out to be absolutely **** horrendous.

I've always wondered this, also when the bell rings they all just get up and leave class even if the teacher is mid-sentence, plus they seem to allow all the kids to use all sorts of bad language.  And they can be excused to go for a piss in the middle of a lesson.  Never happened in my day.  Then at the weekend they all end up having a party at someone's mansion or second home by the lake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Didn't think much of the boys but the last few EPs were good.

Hide contents

Are we going to get an answer on the Fresca thing with the church leader gone?

its a play on "drinking the kool aid" apparently 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid#:~:text=" Drinking the Kool-Aid " is an expression,rewards. The phrase often carries a negative connotation.

Edited by villa4europe

Finished off Kingdom last night and whilst the final season appeared slightly rushed it all came to a decent enough conclusion. 

just considering what to watch next - has anyone bothered with Warrior on Sky?? I note a second season is due to start imminently and wondering if the first season is worth a go?

also finished Alone: Arctic which was pretty decent and also the Netflix barbecue bake off programme (which was on a par with Forged In Fire for proper redneck viewing but enjoyable nonetheless)

bizarrely like the look of The Chop on Sky History and looking forward to Taskmaster returning this week too.  

Edit - just noticed that the Alienist S2 comes out next week on Netflix. That’s me sorted then! 

Edited by theboyangel

On 10/10/2020 at 12:48, sne said:

3 eps in and I'm enjoying the start of The Haunting of Bly Manor.

There is a lot of things that are familiar so far compared to Haunting of Hill House (settings, lighting, type of story...) and due to that you know what to look for in some scenes when people act in a certain way. But it's still good and if you like me enjoy this type of stuff you'll probably like this too.

Don't see it living up to Hill House in the end but that's OK.

I really enjoyed The Haunting of Bly Manor at least up until the last 5 minutes of the final episode. The show was great but it was ruined by the w4nkest of endings EVER! If you want to watch it, turn it off just after the bride-to-be goes to bed. I don't think I've dropped any spoilers.

• Like 1

I have a rule I've set myself when starting new shows; every show gets at least 2 episodes, it has to be catastrophically bad for me to throw in the towel at that point and generally even if it's underwhelming, it'll get the whole first season to win me round.  Plenty of shows with almost completely awful first seasons over the years that have gone on to be great, so I try and stick to this edict.

Haunting of Bly Manor got 18 minutes and 12 seconds.  That is some of the worst acting I have ever seen, and I've paid actual money to watch The Room on the big screen.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Oh my bloody Christ, absolutely unrelated to that jibe at the show I've just clocked that it was Greg Sestero playing the present day groom.

Greg Sestero as a groom in The Haunting of Bly Manor.

Urban Dictionary: Oh Hi Mark

Those 2 are pretty much not in any of the remaining minutes of the show. Totally different cast for the actual story :D 

Yeah I was wondering about who could be doing the bad acting 2 minutes into it. The acting is really good - it's got a great cast and they're all putting in really good performances.

It might not be your cup of tea. If you expect anything terrifying you'll be disappointed. It's a good story based around ghosts and spooky stuff but it's not The Conjuring.

I'm on episode 6 so far and I'm enjoying it.

43 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yeah I was wondering about who could be doing the bad acting 2 minutes into it. The acting is really good - it's got a great cast and they're all putting in really good performances.

It might not be your cup of tea. If you expect anything terrifying you'll be disappointed. It's a good story based around ghosts and spooky stuff but it's not The Conjuring.

I'm on episode 6 so far and I'm enjoying it.

It felt goth and macabre for parts, but not THAT end!!!!! I am still cross that they felt they had to use that w4nk ending, probably to explain what happened to the less than able.

Edited by bielesibub

7 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Finished off Kingdom last night and whilst the final season appeared slightly rushed it all came to a decent enough conclusion. 

just considering what to watch next - has anyone bothered with Warrior on Sky?? I note a second season is due to start imminently and wondering if the first season is worth a go?

also finished Alone: Arctic which was pretty decent and also the Netflix barbecue bake off programme (which was on a par with Forged In Fire for proper redneck viewing but enjoyable nonetheless)

bizarrely like the look of The Chop on Sky History and looking forward to Taskmaster returning this week too.  

Edit - just noticed that the Alienist S2 comes out next week on Netflix. That’s me sorted then! 

Kingdom...the Korean Zombie series? I liked it, Season 3 coming soon I believe.

Warrior I enjoyed, very much an idea developed by Bruce Lee and produced by Bruce Lee enterprises. Great sets, some good Kung Fu and season 2 will hopefully be on Sky soon.

Andrew Koji got the Bruce Lee-isms pretty good...although a 'Bong Sau' to 'roundhouse' wouldn't always work but hey it's a concept!

200.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

It was the English accents chiefly that were grating (Pedretti shouting her lines didn't help either) but the switch-off point was absolutely the introduction to the little girl.  That was some Mary Poppins-level bollocks and as I've gotten older/grumpier I've found my tolerance for that kind of nonsense has taken a nose-dive.  Maybe I'm just doomed to be a grouchy judgemental sod now!  My expectations were sky-high as well, big fan of Flanagan's work otherwise.  This possibly didn't help.

That said, I have now also seen that Garth Marenghi is in it, and this alone is enough to pull me back in.

garth merenghi's dark place | Tumblr

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â