Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

10 hours ago, sne said:

Very productive day, blasted through the whole season 3 of Stranger Things.

Only 8 eps.

Not bad at all, less Goonies and more 80's sci-fi/horror than previous seasons. A lot more gore.

Sounds promising.

I really didn't enjoy the 2nd one at all after being so impressed by the 1st.

• Like 1

Half way through stranger things 

The writing is good, done a really good job of splitting people up but still working, leans on the 80s more than ever before with some of it feeling a little too heavy on the stereotypes*, some of it feels well trodden (reminds me of a early 00s sci fi film set in a high school, think it's existenz) theyve cranked hopper up, toned joyce down, tweaked several of the characters and all of it works 

1st episode of legion S3 was brilliant. 

The opening 10 mins or so were visually amazing, there’s nothing else like it on tv and it’s the most ambitious thing I have seen on prime time TV since episode 8 of Twin Peaks The Return 

Absolutely pisses on the rest of the Marvel TV shows. 

Marvel studios need to give Noah Hawley the keys to something big. 

Here is part of the opening few mins, It’s not really a spoiler as there is no context and unless you’ve seen the episode, you’ll have absolutely no idea as to what the actual F is going on. 

Genius level TV 

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 1

I'd echo the comments about season three of Jessica Jones, not very good but found myself continuing to watch and kinda regretting it. If I hadn't watched two seasons already I'd probably have turned it off, especially the episode focused on Trish as I think she's an awful character.

Spoiler

I know the bad guy is meant to be super smart but how exactly did he murder his friend, (I presume chop him into bits to) stuff him into his wrestling bag and then bury him without being seen when "the whole wrestling team were over the whole weekend building the gazebo"?

Also, did he pop out to develop the picture of Trish's mum and then sneak back or did he take a mobile dark room with him? 

Finished stranger things

got such a high bar, doesn’t always hit it but it’s an improvement on series 2 with some great stuff in there, loads of references, ticks a lot of boxes, doesn’t spread itself thin which is a great achievement , maybe a step too far away from the 5 kids but I’m not sure, they definitely learned from series 2, the new characters slot in better than max and billy (even they slot in fine now rather than feeling forced) think my main issue was not being 100% sold on the antagonists, especially the main one vs hopper

• Like 1

Regarding Stranger Things, my daughter recommended it to me but I didn't fancy it. Then I saw the young female cast member on a show and to brutal she was a bit of a dickhead. Now with all of the comments about 80s nostalgia, I definitely will be swerving it. 

8 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Regarding Stranger Things, my daughter recommended it to me but I didn't fancy it. Then I saw the young female cast member on a show and to brutal she was a bit of a dickhead. Now with all of the comments about 80s nostalgia, I definitely will be swerving it. 

Coincidentally, I overheard my wife telling one of her pals today that she's had to stop following this lass on Instagram because she's such a Representative for Wellingborough. 

Stuck for something decent to watch, so tried

American Horror season 7. Not for me.

Supernatural, season 1. It's ok but...nah.

So scrolled about and found "The Sinner." At last something interesting!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Stuck for something decent to watch, so tried

American Horror season 7. Not for me.

Supernatural, season 1. It's ok but...nah.

Looks decent that. 

It’s on my Netflix ‘list’, gonna start it when I’ve finished a couple of current shows. 

43 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

19 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Looks decent that. 

It’s on my Netflix ‘list’, gonna start it when I’ve finished a couple of current shows. 

I thought both series were great but the premise and psychological aspects of series 2 intrigued me more and so I was slightly more invested in the story.

Both were really well written and acted though, particularly Pullman whose character work I really enjoyed.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 3

I've only seen the first two episodes, but Too Old to Die Young, is the best new show I've seen since Season Three of Twin Peaks. Surprised it doesn't seem to be getting more attention, although I can see why it wouldn't have mass appeal. Edit: It's made by the guy who directed the movie 'Drive', and the way it's shot and filmed makes it seem more like a movie than a TV series, again a bit like Season 3 of Twin Peaks but not as good.

Edited by useless

Just finished Stranger Things S3. Meh. Gone in a completely different direction than I wanted it to. Jumped the shark for me personally. Premise was ridiculous, choice of stereotypical foreign baddies were cliche and cringeworthy and the gender politics running throughout were just exhausting. It has a Disney style sing along moment leading up to the finale for **** sake. It hasnt moved the story forward at all. 

Really disappointed by it. Feels like a completely different show to the one I fell in love with originally and is just a tick box 80's reference show. 

Crap. Not holding out much hope for season 4.

Just watched I Love You Now Die on HBO. 2 part doc on a really fascinating and disturbing case in Massachusetts about the girl who persuaded her boyfriend by text messaging to kill himself. It's much more complicated than the sensational headlines and the doc does a good job illuminating the nuances. Tragic all around and a thoroughly contemporary and complex legal case.

Just finished another HBO documentary "At the Heart of Gold." About the Doctor who sexually abused the American Gymnastic team for 2 decades and students at Michigan State University. A very calm documentary - not sensational in any way.

The impact statements are virtually unwatchable. The pain this one person caused is immeasurable. 

Edited by TheAuthority

9 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just finished Stranger Things S3. Meh. Gone in a completely different direction than I wanted it to. Jumped the shark for me personally. Premise was ridiculous, choice of stereotypical foreign baddies were cliche and cringeworthy and the gender politics running throughout were just exhausting. It has a Disney style sing along moment leading up to the finale for **** sake. It hasnt moved the story forward at all. 

Really disappointed by it. Feels like a completely different show to the one I fell in love with originally and is just a tick box 80's reference show. 

Crap. Not holding out much hope for season 4.

I see what you mean but personally I enjoyed it, some of the 80s stuff was a bit shit and I didn't get every reference, the arnie stuff didn't work for me but overall I though it was great, if definitely benefits from being better than season 2 and to be honest im not even sure I can remember that much from season 1 anymore, im not sure what it actually wants to be, its ramped up the horror and at the same time the daftness of it all has increased too, Disney moment was hilarious, as well as - 

Spoiler

"you know that feeling when you drop on a rollercoaster?"

"yeah"

"yep"

"no"

:lol:

the fish out of water stuff will get boring soon though, also think (major spoiler)

Spoiler

no one is sold on hopper's death, but i think the chicago episode from last season shows their willingness to go in a different direction between seasons

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â