Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

Really enjoyed Stranger Things 3 for the most part, the relentless 80s references were far inferior to the subtlety of the first series in particular, and did interfere too much for me. Not to say they were all rubbish though, some had their moments. 

Spoiler

Keeping with my preferred subtle references in the background, my favourite was probably the Drew Barrymoore 'Firestarter' poster in the video store window in the final episode, which was based on the King novel, and was a huge influence on the first series. 

There have been continual references to saving the world throughout the whole thing but it's been based almost entirely in small town America til now, I hope the next series will put the show on a larger stage, it would be the next logical step, if one that some sections of the fan base not appreciate. 

By coincidence I recently finished reading Junji Ito's 'Dissolving Classroom' anthology. In short, a high school kid is in league with the devil, and causes people to literally dissolve, and then his evil sister eats the remains. 

Spoiler

I'd love to think the Duffers are fans too, as that visual of people dissolving was so similar to many panels of that manga I could almost hear Ito chuckling to himself in the background. 

The other issue I had was the interactions between Joyce and Hopper throughout pretty much the whole thing, it really started to grate with me...but I have to admit that the final payoff was good. 

An 8/10 for me, improvement on the second series without any doubt, I think the thing I enjoyed the most was the pace, and I can honestly say I had a lot of fun watching it. 

37 minutes ago, hogso said:

The other issue I had was the interactions between Joyce and Hopper throughout pretty much the whole thing, it really started to grate with me...but I have to admit that the final payoff was good. 

This is already pissed me off after only watching the first episode of the season. What have they done to Hopper?! He's been a badass in the previous seasons, but talking to some kids turns him in to a blubbering idiot? 

Thought Greizzman did a good job as the lifeguard though.

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

I’ve just started watching Derry Girls, and it’s brilliant! 

Easily compared with the Inbetweeners but loved Derry Girls.

the Nun in charge of the school and the family members are brilliant supporting characters. 

The Bill Clinton visit and Take That episodes in S2 are comedy gold! 

• Like 4

Finished dark season 2

My head hurts.. but it's brilliant TV, almost purposefully doesn't care anymore, breaks a lot of "rules", it knows it's got good solid characters and it's packed with (great music too) it's also well written and clever enough not to take the piss out of the viewer, it's confusing but it doesn't mug you off and there's no cheap tricks to it 

After reading a few positive reviews we gave Derry Girls a go last night.

Christ it's bad. I mean, really, really bad. Awful 'forced' comedy with cliche ridden, unlikable characters with zero depth and not a shred of actual comedy in sight.

It made Raised by Wolves look like Fawlty Towers. Terrible.

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

After reading a few positive reviews we gave Derry Girls a go last night.

Christ it's bad. I mean, really, really bad. Awful 'forced' comedy with cliche ridden, unlikable characters with zero depth and not a shred of actual comedy in sight.

It made Raised by Wolves look like Fawlty Towers. Terrible.

So, a remake of Mrs Browns Boys then?

On 07/07/2019 at 09:28, Seat68 said:

Regarding Stranger Things, my daughter recommended it to me but I didn't fancy it. Then I saw the young female cast member on a show and to brutal she was a bit of a dickhead. Now with all of the comments about 80s nostalgia, I definitely will be swerving it. 

On 07/07/2019 at 17:52, HanoiVillan said:

Coincidentally, I overheard my wife telling one of her pals today that she's had to stop following this lass on Instagram because she's such a Representative for Wellingborough. 

This is a little harsh. She's a 15 year old kid who has been famous since she was 11 and has had some quite severe online bullying too.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

So, a remake of Mrs Browns Boys then?

Nah, it's not that bad, but after the glowing reviews I've read I expected to at least laugh once in an hour.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is a little harsh. She's a 15 year old kid who has been famous since she was 11 and has had some quite severe online bullying too.

I go off how she was on one show, she seemed a bit of a dick to me. As she was bullied online makes no bones to my perception of her. 

not seen her and to be honest I would probably put it down to me not understanding kids

I've only seen 2 of them outside of the show, dusty on some Dr show talking about his teeth and he seemed a great kid, and mike's older sister and she looked dangerously thin, not sure if that's officially out there somewhere that she suffers from a disorder but she definitely looks like people will talk about her having one

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I go off how she was on one show, she seemed a bit of a dick to me. As she was bullied online makes no bones to my perception of her. 

Most 13/14/15 year olds are immature dicks, nevermind those in the spotlight for most of their youth. Still think you're being very harsh here. 

Latest episode of The Handmaids Tale was a new low.

I suggest skipping it entirely as it is purely filler.

Series is running on empty and has turned crap.

• Like 3

Props to Netflix for When they see us. It was difficult to watch at times, and what a damning indictment of racist America, it was .

And to think , to this day still, those poor 5 individuals have never received an apology from anyone. 

7 hours ago, sne said:

Latest episode of The Handmaids Tale was a new low.

I suggest skipping it entirely as it is purely filler.

Series is running on empty and has turned crap.

Yeah Handmaid's Tale is pretty shit now unfortunately. Should have ended it last season.

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Props to Netflix for When they see us. It was difficult to watch at times, and what a damning indictment of racist America, it was .

And to think , to this day still, those poor 5 individuals have never received an apology from anyone. 

Yeah I really enjoyed it in a being horrified type of way. Crazy.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â