Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

7 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Totally recommend Snowfall - now looking forward to season 2. 

Also, as mentioned already cannot wait for Wednesday and the return of Gammorah - probably one of my fave ever shows. 

Snowfall is top stuff :thumb: 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I no no one has said this directly o n here but I still dont think Game of Thrones is one of the best shows on TV. Story line is just weak at points and just drags in some episodes with not much happening. It doesnt grip me like Breaking Bad did

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So is there anything out there similar to GOT that is worth watching?

I some how managed to watch all of Britannia.(although I was fast forwarding bits). It was truly awful. 

@Demitri_C if you are feeling GOT is overrated. Watch an episode of Britannia. It will help you appriecate just how good GOT really is. 

There are Lord of the Rings (Tolkien) and Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) TV series planned. But they are not even close to being made yet.

Nothing as far as I know even close to GOT out there atm.

The Expanse is supposed to be "The Sci-Fi version" of GOT but for me it's a bit meh.

Another show that is based of off books is The Passage that is coming later this year. Vampire/horror/apocalypse series that I really hope they do well as the books are great.

Hope they don't bungle it like they did with The Strain.

• Like 1

Episodes 2 of The Alienist and Counterpart. Both really good.

The Alienist looks really good and the story is a bit Sherlock /Jack the Ripper-ish but set in N.Y.

Conterpart is intriguing and has great actors with J.K Simmons and Stephen Rea among others.

Early days and both can go either way, but so far I quite like them. 

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 00:11, Chindie said:

Took a lot longer than usual for me to get through the Punisher, but I finished it the other day.

Bloody hell is that a good show. Probably the best thing Netflix Marvel has produced. Bernthal's take on Castle is very good - it's not quite classic Punisher, but that character couldn't really work in a show like this - he has the intensity and moments of outright rage that fit this take so well. He's appropriately stoic, believable as both a haunted family man and a vengeful killing machine with no mercy. And make no mistake, this take on Castle is not one for mercy at all. One moment has him interrogate a soldier sent to stop him, and, once he has what he wants, coldly kill his enemy with a shot to the head without thought. Bernthal is **** fantastic and has probably become the definitive Punisher.

The rest of the cast is really good as well. It's a surprisingly small cast, the vast majority of screen time belonging to perhaps 6 characters. Ebon Moss-Bachrach gives an excellent take on Micro, here portrayed as a former NSA analyst who's path crosses Castle's and whose life becomes entangled with Castle's. He gives us a much more interesting Micro and his story is very good even as an aside to the main event. Ben Barnes gives us an excellent Billy Russo, completely removed from the comics take admittedly, but is a brilliant presence and gives credible depth to the character - you can immediately tell this is a pretty boy from a bad background come good. Amber Rose Revah plays DHS agent Medani well, but is probably the weakest main cast member. You don't quite buy her as an agent of any sort. It's not her performance or the script really, you just can't quite see her as what the series expects you to. However, she is rather good to look at (sides from the hairstyle. That easily wins 'Worst haircut on attractive person on TV' this year).

The plot concerns Castle returning to his life as the Punisher after discovering a conspiracy that connects his past and the events that lead to the death of his family. On paper its nothing amazing, but the show really makes it work. We also have side stories, concerning a group of veterans that has shades of the McVeigh about it, and Micro's family turmoil, both of which are engaging and have interesting turns. There as usual are a few cards the show tries to surprise that comic fans will see coming (most notable for me an event I spent the entire series waiting for, that finally arrived in the closing minutes) but it's still a very good watch.

We get the appropriate violence and action, some of which it's far too say feature rather a lot of blood being spilled and enough gunfire to satisfy any gun nut. There are a few scenes that verge on daft - Castle gets injured rather a lot in this series and it starts to get silly, with one episode in particular having him so bashed up he'd be barely moving let alone killing anyone. Yes it's comic book stuff but Castle isn't powered at all. He's just an angry broken man who is very, very good at killing people. Over the course of this series he'd be dead multiple times over and, in a couple of episodes, probably be coffin fodder before half an hour is out.

This is part of the Netflix Marvel universe (yes it's MCU technically but really it's barely irrelevant at this point) but it's also probably amongst the most standalone of the lot. We have an appearance of Karen Page from Daredevil, and Turk makes a tiny cameo, but that's about it really. You can walk into the series without touching the Defenders stuff and lose very little.

And I suggest you do. It's really good. There were a few sniffy reviews at launch and I don't understand where those come from. Some said it was slow - I genuinely think this is the first Marvel effort from Netflix that doesn't suffer with pacing issues and sag - I was engaged throughout.

Go watch it.

That's a great summary.

I've got a couple left, but barring a massive drop off in quality, it's easily my second favourite Marvel show so far.

its not quite up there with Legion, but it's a cut above Daredevil. 

Edited by wazzap24

14 hours ago, BillyShears said:

Halfway through 'The Keepers'. Grim viewing. Also at the other end of the scale 'Ozark'; predictable and easy viewing, but entertaining all the same. 

I was the opposite.

I thought Ozark was very good indeed.

"The Keepers", whilst an important message and a harrowing story, was dull as dishwater. With them constantly trying to turn it into some massive mystery, which it wasn't.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â