Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

6 hours ago, sne said:

Just watched the first part of 6 part drama mini series Waco, about the David Koresh cult in Texas back in 93.

Hard to say how it will be but the first part was OK.

I'd not heard much about Waco, but it got covered in a documentary about the Oklahoma bombing I watched and looked crazy.  I'll keep an eye out for that series.

Took a lot longer than usual for me to get through the Punisher, but I finished it the other day.

Bloody hell is that a good show. Probably the best thing Netflix Marvel has produced. Bernthal's take on Castle is very good - it's not quite classic Punisher, but that character couldn't really work in a show like this - he has the intensity and moments of outright rage that fit this take so well. He's appropriately stoic, believable as both a haunted family man and a vengeful killing machine with no mercy. And make no mistake, this take on Castle is not one for mercy at all. One moment has him interrogate a soldier sent to stop him, and, once he has what he wants, coldly kill his enemy with a shot to the head without thought. Bernthal is **** fantastic and has probably become the definitive Punisher.

The rest of the cast is really good as well. It's a surprisingly small cast, the vast majority of screen time belonging to perhaps 6 characters. Ebon Moss-Bachrach gives an excellent take on Micro, here portrayed as a former NSA analyst who's path crosses Castle's and whose life becomes entangled with Castle's. He gives us a much more interesting Micro and his story is very good even as an aside to the main event. Ben Barnes gives us an excellent Billy Russo, completely removed from the comics take admittedly, but is a brilliant presence and gives credible depth to the character - you can immediately tell this is a pretty boy from a bad background come good. Amber Rose Revah plays DHS agent Medani well, but is probably the weakest main cast member. You don't quite buy her as an agent of any sort. It's not her performance or the script really, you just can't quite see her as what the series expects you to. However, she is rather good to look at (sides from the hairstyle. That easily wins 'Worst haircut on attractive person on TV' this year).

The plot concerns Castle returning to his life as the Punisher after discovering a conspiracy that connects his past and the events that lead to the death of his family. On paper its nothing amazing, but the show really makes it work. We also have side stories, concerning a group of veterans that has shades of the McVeigh about it, and Micro's family turmoil, both of which are engaging and have interesting turns. There as usual are a few cards the show tries to surprise that comic fans will see coming (most notable for me an event I spent the entire series waiting for, that finally arrived in the closing minutes) but it's still a very good watch.

We get the appropriate violence and action, some of which it's far too say feature rather a lot of blood being spilled and enough gunfire to satisfy any gun nut. There are a few scenes that verge on daft - Castle gets injured rather a lot in this series and it starts to get silly, with one episode in particular having him so bashed up he'd be barely moving let alone killing anyone. Yes it's comic book stuff but Castle isn't powered at all. He's just an angry broken man who is very, very good at killing people. Over the course of this series he'd be dead multiple times over and, in a couple of episodes, probably be coffin fodder before half an hour is out.

This is part of the Netflix Marvel universe (yes it's MCU technically but really it's barely irrelevant at this point) but it's also probably amongst the most standalone of the lot. We have an appearance of Karen Page from Daredevil, and Turk makes a tiny cameo, but that's about it really. You can walk into the series without touching the Defenders stuff and lose very little.

And I suggest you do. It's really good. There were a few sniffy reviews at launch and I don't understand where those come from. Some said it was slow - I genuinely think this is the first Marvel effort from Netflix that doesn't suffer with pacing issues and sag - I was engaged throughout.

Go watch it.

• Like 3

Yep, 3 episodes in to Godless and I'm really enjoying it. Watching it very slowly, one episode every week or so.

Discovered Happy Valley recently and binge finished the first season today - such a good drama.

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Watching Britannia. Got to episode 4 but it's a bit shit really.  I might give up. 

You are a gluten for punishment.

I only got 15 minutes in before switching it off!

The adverts were a good indication it was going to be woeful but somehow the actual program was much worse!

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

You are a gluten for punishment.

I only got 15 minutes in before switching it off!

The adverts were a good indication it was going to be woeful but somehow the actual program was much worse!

As poor as it is I've nearly finished it. So much potential let down by poor cast and writing. I never thought I would ever see the mother from my family ever tell somebody to :

Spoiler

Lick her crack

I nearly spat my drink out. 

• Haha 1

Finished Dark, really liked it. It's a bit like a much darker, bleaker and grimmer Stranger Things. But more complicated of course. The 80's in Germany wasn't as colorful as in the US apparently.

Saw it was renewed for a second season as well.

Going through the list on IMDB I see that Mindhunter, Punisher, TWD, Stranger Things, Preacher, Star Trek Discovery, Salvation and Vikings all get new seasons.

Well Britannia certainly isn't a "good TV-show" but 5 episodes in I've at least learned that people from ye olde times where impervious to fall damage, that Walder Frey really has let himself go (and that's saying something)

Oh, and Britannia has the worst fitting intro music, possible ever. They might as well had Wannabe by Spice Girls.

Other than that it's a bit like Vikings, but less ambitious and a bit worse.Strong female leads.Time period costume (fantasy) drama with characters vaguely borrowed from actual historical events. But not really.  

Dialogue and acting is a bit crap but the scenery is nice, green and pretty.

I no no one has said this directly o n here but I still dont think Game of Thrones is one of the best shows on TV. Story line is just weak at points and just drags in some episodes with not much happening. It doesnt grip me like Breaking Bad did

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I no no one has said this directly o n here but I still dont think Game of Thrones is one of the best shows on TV. Story line is just weak at points and just drags in some episodes with not much happening. It doesnt grip me like Breaking Bad did

Fair enough, although those shows has as much in common as South Park and Band of Brothers :D

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I've personally never put it into that top tier of TV shows (where I would put Breaking Bad)

It's still extremely good though.

Where are you upto now?

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've personally never put it into that top tier of TV shows (where I would put Breaking Bad)

It's still extremely good though.

Where are you upto now?

I am on season 3 episode 5 it was a good episode. I still dont see how anyone realistically can stop Khaleesi  she has the dragons, the soldiers practically everything. She could wipe out the cannisters and the starks.

Although i did enjoy in the previous episode (although predictable)  theon greyjoy getting put back on the X. what he did was despicable and he deserves that punishment. 

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I am on season 3 episode 5 it was a good episode. I still dont see how anyone realistically can stop Khaleesi  she has the dragons, the soldiers practically everything. She could wipe out the cannisters and the starks.

Although i did enjoy in the previous episode (although predictable)  theon greyjoy getting put back on the X. what he did was despicable and he deserves that punishment. 

On 1/19/2018 at 08:49, Stevo985 said:

Get to the end of season 3. Then get back to us...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Come back to us after you have watched the next 5 episodes ;) 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â