Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As much of a panning as this season has (rightly) recieved, it's definitely worth watching season 1 & 2.

Bang on.

As has been said elsewhere - it's basically disappeared up it's own arse after the first two series.

• Like 2

Although still watchable, I agree that Sherlock has lost it's way from the first two enjoyable series. If they do continue it, hopefully they'll go back to the clever sleuthing that made it appealing in the first place.

Spoiler

Personally, I think the writers backed themselves into a corner by killing off Moriaty when they did. As good as that episode was, the show has never really been the same since. They seem to still want him around but his presence is diminished by, you know, being dead.    

The introduction of silly super spy Mary and the sidelining of both Lestrade and Molly have also contributed to the decline.

• Like 1

I dont think a show has ever dropped in quality as rapid as Sherlock did. Season 2 for me is one of best of any show but after that it collapsed rapidly. Not only up its own arse but as I mentioned earlier the introduction of Mary brought it downhill. trying to make Sherlock more human didnt help

I do think from the ending that it was meant to finish up after season 2 and its popularity brought it back

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Can't bloody wait :D

I've tempered my expectations. They've revealed a few very vague bits this week that mean the version of the Defenders in my head, which is awesome, ain't happening :(

Weaver is playing a new character called Alexandra, which I'd usually assume means they've actually taken another character and tried to hide what they're doing with the plot by saying it's a new one. But then the producer came out and said the threat to bring the Defenders together had to be big but can't be too far from the street level threats the series have dealt with to date, so not too sci-fi or supernatural (presumably the Hand are as far as they'll go?), which probably means at best she's a businesswoman fronting the legitimate side of whatever the Hand will be about :(

I had a couple of ideas of using Iron Fist as a prequel almost, to set up the final pieces of the puzzle before the Defenders, with Steel Serpent being this threat from Danny's past being involved with the Hand and Gao being his master, the series covering Gao using the Hand to compete whatever plan was started in Daredevil S1 with the heroin operation. Or do Taskmaster, who fudges into anything you want easily and is a decent threat without being silly...

And then there's been comments from Finn Jones basically admitting they haven't adapted Iron Fist particularly faithfully either, which isn't a huge shock (they'd blow the entire budget on episode 1 and half audience would turn off in hysterics if they had) but still... He's going to end up fighting another suit all series by looks of things and I'd wager never wears anything like the Aja look outfit at any point, sadly :(. I'm hoping they at least settled on the Kaare Andrews look for Danny... Though I'd almost be surprised if the bandana mask does more than cameo.

Still, I am looking forward to both. They just can't be the shows I want them to be...

On 15/01/2017 at 17:08, Designer1 said:

Just watched the first two episodes of Lemony Snicket.

Oh my, it is absolutely glorious.

Visually stunning (the set design is outstanding). Brilliant cast, gorgeously offbeat writing which nails the feel of the books perfectly. 

Genuinely hard to find a fault with it.

Watched both parts of The Bad Beginning tonight, agree with everything you said. Loved it!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jim said:

Has anybody watched Black Sails? I watched the first episode the other day but can't decide if it is worth sticking with?

Ar me hearties tis a rum tale full o' treasure.

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Is there any point in me asking about The Crown? Or are only the over 60s watching it? 

Watched the first few episodes then just didn't return to it.

On the basis of that, it's well shot and cast, but it plays heavily to the Royal luvvies crowd, the ones that think the Royals actually matter or do anything. There's a nonsense scene early on where Elizabeth is taught by her dad how to deal with political correspondance, which he's supposed to be doing at Christmas, like he had any power to actually do anything about whatever he's reading.

It also heavily goes for 'print the myth'. In the episodes I've seen Anthony Eden is portrayed as a slimy incompetent nobody trusts, whereas in reality he was quite well liked and a decent politician before his time in No.10.

Don't expect anything earth shattering. It's the kind of thing ITV would have shoved down your throat at 9 on a Sunday night.

1 hour ago, jim said:

Has anybody watched Black Sails? I watched the first episode the other day but can't decide if it is worth sticking with?

Stick with it definitely. Season 1 is hard work tbh, and I felt like giving up many times, but season 2 is just brilliant. Season 3 stays with that quality, and season 4 is out this month I believe. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Is there any point in me asking about The Crown? Or are only the over 60s watching it? 

I thought it was good, Lithgow is excellent as Winston Churchill.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â