Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

Enjoying The Night of, can already kind of sense where the story is going to go but it's a show less about the story than it is about having a cold hard look at the system, like The Wire and Show Me A Hero. Not really a True Detective successor, at least two episodes in. Not sold on John Turtorro as of yet as he seems to have swooped in from a Coen brother's movie.

As for the mystery:

I think Naz did it, but will get off because key evidence will have been dismissed or something. The show will really have to do something impressive to make an alternative killer believable imo.

Second episode of containment, built up the story well. Quite intriguing, even though I'm a little confused, if the pregnant woman is in quarantine and she visited her grandma, surely the old geez in the hospital can visit her? Or was that just when they were hospital confined? 

On 17/07/2016 at 19:28, Chindie said:

Watched a couple of episodes of new Netflix show Stranger Things last night.

On that first couple of episodes, it could be excellent. Its a sci fi, coming of age, old school family creepy show about a group of nerdy friends in 1980s small town America who have a friend mysteriously disappear and have a strange young girl come onto their life. It has it's influence dripping of it, the classic 1980s family mild horror/sci fi coming of age films, with the sensibilities of early Spielberg, a hint of Carpenter, and a dash of Stephen King.

I'm slightly wary of calling of it excellent straight up, because there's definitely places were it could veer off course into something I'd like less, but so far it's a joy to watch, even for it's flaws. The atmosphere is absolutely bang on, they nail that small town back of beyond America feeling where everything isn't quite right and the kids might know more than the adults, and its surprisingly effective in pushing that creepy feeling of unease and being watched in the appropriate scenes.

Also it has an awesome soundtrack. It juxtaposes 80s hits with this great synthy, ominous score.

Worth a watch.

I'm 2 episodes in of this one and I may not get to watch anymore for a week or so because i'm on night shift and I don't think the missus will like watching and episode and then being alone. :) I'm enthralled though.

Agree totally with all of what you've said. It has absolutely nailed the classic 80s feel you talk about.

I think of note is that so far, all the child actors are good. There isn't one disaster, which is rare when you've got so many of them in central roles. Brilliantly cast. Can't wait to keep watching.

The punisher confirmed to be in Luke cage 

they showed a Luke cage trailer at comic con, didn't look anything special to me but seeing as DD and JJ are absolutely brilliant I'll have to watch it, also confirmed the defenders for next year

• Like 1

They also revealed a teaser for Iron Fist

Which looks decent from the little they've shown. Hopefully they're going for the Brubaker/Aja look...

As for the Defenders, guess we can confirm Stick, and sadly that the Hand will be the villains. Hopefully they can fudge an actual villain in there, that isn't Nobu. I really wanted them to be taking on an actual established villain, like Taskmaster or someone like that, fairly low level but still a decent threat for all 4 of them.

Edited by Chindie

The other Marvel Netflix clips...

A nice 'sizzle reel' of the Marvel Netflix series that I mostly came away from thinking how good David Tennant was as the Purple Man in Jessica Jones...

First trailer/teaser/clip proper from Luke Cage and it looks decent IMO. Luke Cage is a... Difficult character in many ways but this looks to have carefully negotiated the more troublesome waters. His powers work surprisingly well on screen and Mike Colter does a good job. Coming in September.

And then the most teaser-y of teasers for for the Defenders. Heavily implying the Hand are the villains are the piece, which is disappointing, and that Stick is back, which isn't.

'You think the 4 of you can save New York? You can't even save yourselves'.

Also that's a cracking use of Come As You Are.

I think Iron Fist is probably my highlight of that lot, we're shown very little but that show could (/should) be really interesting. Iron Fist comics go really really weird and the titular character is basically an excuse to do obscenely good martial arts fight scenes. Especially since the villain is guaranteed to be the Steel Serpent. We should get a spectacular 1v1 fight scene or 3. I just hope they choose the best look for him, as the Iron Fist hasn't been blessed with the best outfits over the years..

Iron_Fist_Portrait_Art.0.0.png

• Like 1

On 21/07/2016 at 13:37, Demitri_C said:

Anyone watched power? My friend has strongly recommended it. Finished person of interest was going to start on billions but power sounds good

Just stop delaying the inevitable Dem and watch Billions! :P

Anyone watched 'the Staircase'?

Second season of Z Nation is fulfilling all the promise of the first; cliched, corny, bizarre, stupid and cringeworthy, yet highly watchable with an excellent soundtrack.

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Finished season 3 of Ray Donovan.

Superb! Surely one of the most underrated shows out there. 

To be fair, every review I read seem to rate it very highly, so maybe it's more overlooked than underrated? But yeah, superb show :thumb:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

To be fair, every review I read seem to rate it very highly, so maybe it's more overlooked than underrated? But yeah, superb show :thumb:

Yeah, overlooked is a better word! :)

On 22/07/2016 at 04:49, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'm 2 episodes in of this one and I may not get to watch anymore for a week or so because i'm on night shift and I don't think the missus will like watching and episode and then being alone. :) I'm enthralled though.

Agree totally with all of what you've said. It has absolutely nailed the classic 80s feel you talk about.

I think of note is that so far, all the child actors are good. There isn't one disaster, which is rare when you've got so many of them in central roles. Brilliantly cast. Can't wait to keep watching.

Started watching Stranger Things last night after the recommendations on here and we're on episode five already. 

Fantastic 80s feel and really reminds me of Stephen King at his best.

As you say the kids in it are good, the one with no teeth is slightly annoying though.

I'd forgotten how good an actress Winona Ryder is.

10 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

That's a good gig for an ex hollyoaks actor, looks good.

Bloody hell I knew I recognised him from somewhere. America's love affair with Brits as their leading roles in TV doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â