Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

Folski

Did anyone else watch Bear Grylls The Island???

Thought it was ok and had to chuckle at the diverse types of man shoehorned into the 13. Think it'll be worth sticking with and kind of envious of that kind of challenge/opportunity.

Also saw a trailer for Man Vs Weird with the very funny Simon Farnaby, which looks very good!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/man-vs-weird/videos/series-1/s1-ep1-superhuman

I used to enjoy watching 24, but realised the format didn't work after 2-3 series. I thought the new format might work, as they might cut of or the annoying sub character stories, but no it's still hammy and predictable.

I still enjoyed it, but that's mainly because I think it's a comedy.

Series 9 of 24 is exactly the same as the other 8.

Doesn't really make any sense.

Because 4 seasons of 24 were excellent. Season 5 to 8 varied in levels of poorness and were largely the same.

So is it the same as the first 4, in which case it's great news. Or is it the same as the second 4, in which case it's not so good news.

I suspect it's the latter.

24 got very tedious and formulaic. But I don't think people should fall into the trap of forgetting that it started off very well!

Series 9 of 24 is exactly the same as the other 8.

Doesn't really make any sense.

Because 4 seasons of 24 were excellent. Season 5 to 8 varied in levels of poorness and were largely the same.

So is it the same as the first 4, in which case it's great news. Or is it the same as the second 4, in which case it's not so good news.

I suspect it's the latter.

24 got very tedious and formulaic. But I don't think people should fall into the trap of forgetting that it started off very well!

Were the first 4 series really that great? Or did the formula just get boring after it?

I reckon if you went back and watched series 1 it would just feel like the other 8 TBH. 

It probably would in retrospect, but there wasn't anything else like it at the time. It suffered from the producers milking it for all it was worth instead of ending it on a high.

So who do we think is the inside agent, who it turns out roughly half way through the series is in fact that bad guy, who is brought down before it becomes clear that there is a much bigger threat, probably within the white house?

Yeah I think they were very good. The formula was new so they could do a lot more with it, and the stories were set out much more effectively to deal with the very drawn out timeline.

In later seasons they ran out of ideas so had to fit all the time in between plot points with filler. They didn't have that problem in the first few seasons.

You're right that the formula getting old was the main reason it deteriorated. But I think that was more to do with them running out of ways to use it effectively than us just getting used to it.

Incidentally, I have been back and watched season 1 (most of it anyway with someone else who was watching it for the first time) and it's still great.

• Like 1

Thought it was ok and had to chuckle at the diverse types of man shoehorned into the 13. Think it'll be worth sticking with and kind of envious of that kind of challenge/opportunity.

Also saw a trailer for Man Vs Weird with the very funny Simon Farnaby, which looks very good!

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/man-vs-weird/videos/series-1/s1-ep1-superhuman

Yeah I watched that, I thought it was pretty good although not a lot happened in the episode due to none of the 13 guys practising starting fires before they got there (idiots). But I hope that future episodes will be a lot more interesting. 

On the same sort of subject, I watched "Naked and Marooned with Ed Stafford" on Discovery the other night. Same sort of thing where he's dumped somewhere packed with shit that wants to kill him, alone with a camera but has no clothes, tools or any other useful items. I recommend it if you're into the survival stuff.

Yeah, I liked it. I like how there won't be any voting or challenges, just straight up surviving.

Something I'd love to try.

Yeah, I liked it. I like how there won't be any voting or challenges, just straight up surviving.

Something I'd love to try.

Yeah, the competition crap ruined that "Survivor" TV program years back. With out that there was a solid TV show.

It probably would in retrospect, but there wasn't anything else like it at the time. It suffered from the producers milking it for all it was worth instead of ending it on a high.

So who do we think is the inside agent, who it turns out roughly half way through the series is in fact that bad guy, who is brought down before it becomes clear that there is a much bigger threat, probably within the white house?

I think it was new different and I think it worked for 2-3 series. I think I realised with Lost about the same time that I never wanted to invest the time in a series of 24 episodes. I would say a good 8-10 were filler to try and push the story on or they would add a very weak sub plot that no one was even remotely intrested in. All the truly great American TV series are 10-13 episodes per series, therefore keeping the quality high. Even in series 1 of 24 I can remember his daughter getting kidnapped TWICE was boring...then she was in series 2.

At the end of the day watching it yesterday it was predictable and the acting was still awful and hammy. I enjoyed watching it getting back from the pub purely for comic value.

Oh and Chloe face still hurts my eyes. She really is ugly.

My main problem with watching 24 now is that since it first aired i've been spoilt by series that are far better written and acted.

It just pales into comparison now.

My main problem with watching 24 now is that since it first aired i've been spoilt by series that are far better written and acted.

It just pales into comparison now.

Yeah I agree it feels very 90s now, when you consider it run about the same time as The Sopranos and latterly The Wire. Since then we've had Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire and many other which has made the program look very stale.

Kubrick references aplenty in the latest Mad Men.

I need to have a look at Mad Men. Never watched an episode even though I have friends who keep banging on about it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â