Next leader of the Labour Party should be.....

chrisp65

and the next Labour leader should be......  

132 members have voted

1. 1. and the next Labour leader should be......

• Dave Miliband
    • Ed Balls
    • Ed Miliband
    • Alan Johnson
    • Dennis Skinner
    • Eddie Izzard
    • Workers co-operative along marxist leninist lines
    • Pointless box for token inclusion of celt fringes
    • None of the above
    • Ross Kemp
    • A Female
    • Dianne Abbott

what a strange way of attacking the Labour stance on this.

What a bizarre way to read my post, sorry gave up at that point as I'd already clearly understood more of your post than you did of mine

I was attacking nothing

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bizarre way to read my post, sorry gave up at that point as I'd already clearly understood more of your post than you did of mine

I was attacking nothing

Of course it was nothing about Labour was it? Ooops in a thread about the Labour leadership you write

Firstly I don't see how Labour can officially have a stance yet on any constitutional reform bill, they haven't had a conference nor do they yet have a leader, would be interesting to know what all of the candidates believe on that issue, I've not seen anything about it. That issue in itself also highlights the problems Labour is having right now, they are a rudderless shit listing about aimlessly, this leadership contest has gone on for far too long and is being dragged out in a half arsed manner.

For me, if the Labour party is going to go down the line of opposing the proposed AV vote then that is good as AV is just paying lip service to democracy and isn't going to produce much different in the way of government to that which we already have. Same goes for AV+. Personally I think it has to be a constituency based STV system.

There is little point in either of the AV systems, they won't fix what is broken, they will however paper over the cracks that are appearing in our democracy for a good couple of decades

Hmm a quick read of all of the post and hey presto it turns out it was a criticism of Labour, who'd have thought it eh?

I was attacking nothing

Of course it was nothing about Labour was it? Ooops in a thread about the Labour leadership you write

Firstly I don't see how Labour can officially have a stance yet on any constitutional reform bill, they haven't had a conference nor do they yet have a leader, would be interesting to know what all of the candidates believe on that issue, I've not seen anything about it. That issue in itself also highlights the problems Labour is having right now, they are a rudderless shit listing about aimlessly, this leadership contest has gone on for far too long and is being dragged out in a half arsed manner.

For me, if the Labour party is going to go down the line of opposing the proposed AV vote then that is good as AV is just paying lip service to democracy and isn't going to produce much different in the way of government to that which we already have. Same goes for AV+. Personally I think it has to be a constituency based STV system.

There is little point in either of the AV systems, they won't fix what is broken, they will however paper over the cracks that are appearing in our democracy for a good couple of decades

Hmm a quick read of all of the post and hey presto it turns out it was a criticism of Labour, who'd have thought it eh?

Amazing that you read it as criticism, it was asking a question i.e. what are the potential leaders ideas on this (the point of this very topic). A statement of the current state of the Labour Party which is just about irrefutable and me agreeing with what is perceived to be the current Labour Party stance

Really would like to know where the criticism is, apart from Labour should have got the Leadership contest out of the way much quicker (but can't because they can't afford it).

Yet another example of you not actually reading what people have posted I would suggest

I can understand why those who will be outmanoeuvred by this would be displeased and if the boot were on the other foot, then I would be too.

I’m not in favour of reform to the way we vote.

Answered like a politician :wink:

i.e. not the question that was asked :-)

Amazing that you read it as criticism, it was asking a question i.e. what are the potential leaders ideas on this (the point of this very topic). A statement of the current state of the Labour Party which is just about irrefutable and me agreeing with what is perceived to be the current Labour Party stance

Really would like to know where the criticism is, apart from Labour should have got the Leadership contest out of the way much quicker (but can't because they can't afford it).

Yet another example of you not actually reading what people have posted I would suggest

Bicks - to quote a well know VT poster, what a load of bollox, but to be honest I really can't be arsed with that little game, so you say you were not in criticism mode fairy snuff, I think otherwise.

Bicks - to quote a well know VT poster, what a load of bollox, but to be honest I really can't be arsed with that little game, so you say you were not in criticism mode fairy snuff, I think otherwise.

Clearly you can't read then Ian, there are no games being played and I'm not the one that looks daft.

I asked if any of the candidates had expressed opinions on electoral reform, I genuinely don't know, still don't

I said the Labour party is in disarray and is a rudderless ship, right now it is unless of course you'd care to argue differently and it can't possibly have completely made its mind up until it elects a new leader (surely that just OBVIOUS)

Then I also said that if the Labour Party were against AV I was in agreement (though possibly for different reasons entirely)

You seem to not want to read that and have decided from the off that I'm criticising the beloved Labour Party (of which I used to be an actual card carrying member)

Thats three times I've stated this now. I can't see what I said was so contentious to you

• 4 weeks later...

My mom's apparently got a vote in this election as well, as a union member. Got a recorded phonecall yesterday about it, her union want them to go for Ed Milliband, who also had a nice recorded chat for about 3 seconds before I hung up.

I doubt she'll vote/care anyway so it matters not.

And frankly they're all shit anyway. I wouldn't vote for a single one of them.

I'm not a Labour party member either.

Auntie says that members of affiliated unions who haven't opted out of a political levy are also given a vote.

Aye, I know. The ASLEF logo on the envelope and the cover letter from Keith Norman recommending I vote for Diane Abbot (yeah, right!) were something of a give away. I felt that made for a less interesting anecdote though.

I'm pretty sure David Milliband will win the election, but Ed Milliband seems to have huge support from the trade unions.

Aye, I know. The ASLEF logo on the envelope and the cover letter from Keith Norman recommending I vote for Diane Abbot (yeah, right!) were something of a give away. I felt that made for a less interesting anecdote though.

Ah, sorry. :oops:

Vote for Diane Abbot. At least it would get her off 'This week'. :P

Attack of the clones on sky news at the moment, though they call it the live leader's debate.

The utter lack of quality in this shower is painful to watch. I wonder how any Labour supporters are wishing for the war criminal back?

Well on the basis of that debate Labour are going nowhere for 5-10 years at least. Abysmal performances all round, but quite amusing that they chose to have it on Sky news... Trying to get back into someone's good books perhaps?

:lol:

Well on the basis of that debate Labour are going nowhere for 5-10 years at least

reckon you can double or even treble that figure

obviously i don't vote in this contest but if i could then i'd vote for the one that didn't support a thoroughly discredited government for the past few years ...

I got a vote from being in t'union. Well 2 votes actually - first and second choice.

They wanted me to vote for Ed Millipede, but I didn't.

I honestly think all the candidates are rubbish. None of them have any kind of "zing" in terms of ideas or policies, apart from Diane Abbott, but she unfortunately seems a bit lacking in leadership qualities. It's all a bit lifeless really.

I got a vote from being in t'union. Well 2 votes actually - first and second choice.

They wanted me to vote for Ed Millipede, but I didn't.

I honestly think all the candidates are rubbish. None of them have any kind of "zing" in terms of ideas or policies, apart from Diane Abbott, but she unfortunately seems a bit lacking in leadership qualities. It's all a bit lifeless really.

The only credible candidate who could reach beyond Labour's core vote at election time (imo) is Frank Field, a genuinely decent politician of the left.

Can't understand why is not on the ballot paper tbh.

Frank Field? - you are kidding me surely - the bloke is a complete and utter twunt. Me thinks your liking of him is the fact that he was happy to work with the phone hacker

A twunt? First MP to campaign for a national minimum wage (one of the last Labour Governments' unquestionable triumphs); over 30 years experience as a respected constituency MP (and still going); 10 years directing the Child Poverty Action Group; a far-sighted commitment to Wefare reform and more. He embodies the best bits of Labour without any of the idological trotskyism that make the far left of Labour such spanners.

He voted for Iraq and ID cards which imo opinion count against him, but in terms of a new Labour leader we're fishing in a very shallow pool of talent. He's head and shoulders above the existing candidates and I suspect your dislike of him is driven by his willingness to offer his undoubted knowledge to assist the current Government in bringing about much needed reform. Conversely it's his pragmatic approach and commitment to do what is best for the country (above party tribalism) that I admire.