The New Condem Government

bickster

Don't really think we need a "none of the above option". I mean, you can just spoil your ballot.

None of the above is different. None of the above means that if NOTA wins the ballot a new election is called with new candidates invited to stand. It has an effect. Spoiling your ballot paper has the effect of recording that you went to the polling station, thats it

I'm all for NOTA, I'm not in favour of mandatory voting

Totally agree. Mandatory voting with a "none of the above" option on the ballot papers.

But then a great heap of people would vote 'none of the above' and any douchebag with decent PR would win.

Not if NOTA won the ballot

• Like 2

If you have mandatory voting, then you need a 'none of the above' option, otherwise you are effectively saying people have no choice but to vote for established parties.

I'm not totally against mandatory voting, because I think politics is too important to simply ignore or be apathetic about, but I do think people should have the freedom of choice. In any case, Australia has mandatory/compulsory voting and wound up with that dickhead Tony Abbott, so it doesn't change much!

NOTA wins and you have another round of voting and then another and another until eventually some independent who says the things people want to hear wins. Then that independent has basically no backing or power in Parliament other than to make up numbers.

I get the idea that people want to show their dissatisfaction officially on a ballot paper and maybe there should be a way to do it but this just won't achieve anything.

NOTA wins and you have another round of voting and then another and another until eventually some independent who says the things people want to hear wins. Then that independent has basically no backing or power in Parliament other than to make up numbers.

I get the idea that people want to show their dissatisfaction officially on a ballot paper and maybe there should be a way to do it but this just won't achieve anything.

Oh shit, independents in parliament, what a terrible idea. Sounds like how democracy should be to me

• Like 2

Even independents will often form into voting blocs.

Read what I wrote again and if you still think that's the point I was making, I suggest taking a long nap.

No need to be patronising. What was your point then if not that? It seemed to me as if you were criticising the mandatory voting system they have in Australia partly on the basis that they elected someone you don't like under said system.

Edited by Mantis

It seemed to me as if you were criticising the mandatory voting system they have in Australia partly on the basis that they elected someone you don't like under said system.

The point (regarding Abbott) is that mandatory voting doesn't necassarily lead to change, because countries that have it (Australia, Brazil, Singapore) haven't exactly rocked the boat with who they have elected.

My own criticism of mandatory voting is more to do with freedom of choice.

Independents are fine but realistically what difference can one person standing alone make in Parliament?

Democracy should be about every representative of the people standing alone and representing his / her constituents. Parties and their machines are the death of democracy

• Like 2

Independents are fine but realistically what difference can one person standing alone make in Parliament?

Democracy should be about every representative of the people standing alone and representing his / her constituents. Parties and their machines are the death of democracy

Can't disagree with you there but how would it work? 650 people standing for different things. Nothing would get done, for better or for worse.

Parties or party-like structures are inevitable though. It's natural for people to group together because they share like-minded views or to advance a common cause.

Edited by Mantis

I don't know anything about politics. If voting is mandatory would that not mean that uneducated people like me would spoil the vote?

You have all the information at your fingertips, do some research and educate yourself :D

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â