The New Condem Government

bickster

May only be a local council by election, but fifth place behind the Elvis bus pass party :blink:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/07/lib-dems-beaten-by-bus-pass-elvis-party-in-clifton-north-by-election-4457529/?ITO=facebook

tbf they don't normally even field a candidate in that ward but yes to be behind the joke party is pretty sad

UKIP or Elvis?

May only be a local council by election, but fifth place behind the Elvis bus pass party :blink:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/07/lib-dems-beaten-by-bus-pass-elvis-party-in-clifton-north-by-election-4457529/?ITO=facebook

tbf they don't normally even field a candidate in that ward but yes to be behind the joke party is pretty sad

UKIP or Elvis?

If only UKIP were a joke, intact UKIP are the reason the Tories lost that seat

Oh dear. The vile taxdodger Ashcroft spends years, and £millions, polling everyone in sight and passing on key info about how the Tories might possibly overcome the general hate people feel for them, and specifically how to get people of the female persuasion to vote for them, and the thick oaf Osborne ignores it all and torpedoes the great Lord's efforts.

Silly boy.

Here.

• Like 3

On the day that more NHS contracts are revealed to be up for grabs, clause 119 has it's final vote in parliament. Caroline Lucas is leading a cross party effort to try and defeat the government. Clause 119 allows the government to go ahead with the closures of hospitals without need for a judicial review.

More in link : http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2013-14/656

Edited by Kingfisher

Green Party pledges to abolish Ofsted. Seems to be what teachers want.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4920199?utm_hp_ref=uk

Of course it's what teachers want. Nobody wants to have targets to reach.

I'm not saying Ofstead are any good. I'm pretty sure they're not. But I couldn't really gather from that article what The Greens are suggesting as an alrernative?

Green Party pledges to abolish Ofsted. Seems to be what teachers want.

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/4920199?utm_hp_ref=uk

Of course it's what teachers want. Nobody wants to have targets to reach.

I'm not saying Ofstead are any good. I'm pretty sure they're not. But I couldn't really gather from that article what The Greens are suggesting as an alrernative?

In the article.

'It calls for its replacement with continuous collaborative assessment and for national council educational excellence working closely with local authorities. To further encourage local accountability and reaction to local needs, the policy calls for education authorities to encourage schools to set up parent councils or forums, providing a mechanism for direct local input, and also for representatives of older students to be able to attend governing body meetings and have input into their decisions.'

Sounds like they want a less top down, more regional and inclusive decision making process.

Then they are living in the past because the agenda set by the current government and enforced through Ofsted is the move to academies and the destruction of what used to be LEA's, is no LA's and soon will be sweet FA's in terms of their power.

The days of the local authority having sway over schools is gone, at the current rate local education authorities run by councils won't exist in 5-10 years time. 

Then they are living in the past because the agenda set by the current government and enforced through Ofsted is the move to academies and the destruction of what used to be LEA's, is no LA's and soon will be sweet FA's in terms of their power.

The days of the local authority having sway over schools is gone, at the current rate local education authorities run by councils won't exist in 5-10 years time. 

Its different area to area but a lot of LEAs are transfering services over to Social Enterprise Companies. There is a lot of statutory "stuff" the LAs have to do but the agenda at the DfE is very much giving Head Teachers as much power as possible. This is almost universally a terrible idea.

Its different area to area but a lot of LEAs are transfering services over to Social Enterprise Companies. There is a lot of statutory "stuff" the LAs have to do but the agenda at the DfE is very much giving Head Teachers as much power as possible. This is almost universally a terrible idea.

Sorry, are you suggesting that Head teachers lack the experience and business acumen to run an SME in order to turn a profit, tap into new and innovative revenue streams, anticipate changes in built environment demands that will only be finalised 2 months AFTER the time slot for appealing for funding closes, hit ever changing targets and KPI's and still offer a genuinely rounded education?

• Like 4

No. Not at all. The LA in my area is the one with the SMEs not the schools. THe point that I was making (poorly) is that Head Teachers (particularly those running Secondary schools) are not the altuistic superbeings whose sole purpose in life is to care for and nuture the children that the DfE would have us believe.

RIP Bob Crow, he was a savvy operator.

I saw him being interviewed by Andrew Neil recently. He effortlessly batted away Neil's attempts to undermine him with the kind of trivial, personal bullshit the right wing media use when they know they're losing the argument.

He increased union membership and did well for his members. He was a real thorn in the side of the few who want it all their own way at our expense.

• Like 4

RIP Bob Crow, he was a savvy operator.

I saw him being interviewed by Andrew Neil recently. He effortlessly batted away Neil's attempts to undermine him with the kind of trivial, personal bullshit the right wing media use when they know they're losing the argument.

He increased union membership and did well for his members. He was a real thorn in the side of the few who want it all their own way at our expense.

Well that is certainly one view of the man just not one I share personally although I would agree that he did very well for his members. That aside I thought he was extremely unpleasant, at times pedantic and inflexible to the point insanity and totally and utterly unrealistic. I also think he was a bully and a hypocrite.

I don't celebrate his passing, far from it but I don't see any reason to hold a different view of the man today because he sadly passed away to that I held about him yesterday. Not that I'm saying your view has changed obviously. Its just seems that this country is a little obsessed with the 'don't speak ill of the dead' mantra.

• Like 2

I don't think the general public are obsessed by not speaking badly of the dead. If you we're enough of a cock in your life to piss people off I think the British public are quite unabashed when it come to expressing that. Just look at Thatcher.

• Like 1

I don't think the general public are obsessed by not speaking badly of the dead. If you we're enough of a cock in your life to piss people off I think the British public are quite unabashed when it come to expressing that. Just look at Thatcher.

I think Thatcher was an exception to the rule not evidence of the rule personally yet even then there were plenty who still wouldn't speak ill of the dead and condemned those that did. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â