The New Condem Government

bickster

I don't like the political views of celebrity wannabe Katie Hopkins.

A true tory and whilst I dislike everything she claims to believe in, the more she's in the media, the less likely those wavering voters will vote Thatcher.

I'd really really like to think she just spouts these views to be a 'shock' talking head. Unfortunately, I suspect that really is the world as she lives it in her head.

The big surprise is that the audience can't see that her TV appearances are so contrived and that every opinion, sneer and jibe is rehearsed to perfection, and between her and the production team they are creating a ratings and headline-grabbing product.

She is just someone who people love to hate.

She is just trying to build a career based upon her tendency to say things which challenge the liberal consensus: like the pretence that class does not exist these days.

No doubt her best hope is to get famous enough to get invited to America where there is a substantial market in right-wing opinion, and where the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Ann Coulter, and Laura Schlessinger make a very good living outraging liberals and confirming Republican prejudices.

News and opinion is just another marketplace. 

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

Katie Hopkins did not win the apprentice iirc

I seem to remember that she was offered the apprenticeship but refused to relocate because her parents were looking after her kids and so Sugar gave it to someone else.

No doubt the present Katie would insist that anyone exploiting their parents in such a way are no better than those demanding free nursery fees from the government.

I really wish I didn't know this. :rolleyes:

Well only an idiot (take your choice from any number of Mp's) or a particularly callous psychopath (again take your choice from the same group as before) wouldn't or couldn't see the likely effects of the ideologically driven agenda of demonisation of the sick, disabled and unemployed being undertaken to justify the unfair and unjust removal and restriction of benefits based on lies and the twisting of facts. Really the article could have gone farther and listed instances where the reforms have been shown to have played a significant part in people committing suicide

From the Indipendent http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/welfare-reforms-are-driving-social-housing-tenants-to-consider-suicide-9052710.html

Welfare reforms 'are driving social housing tenants to consider suicide'

Friday 10 January 2014

Almost half of frontline housing workers claim their jobs are being made harder because the reforms have made tenants more “emotionally charged”.

A survey of 700 staff working for ten social landlords in the north west of England found that 45 per cent of housing workers have dealt with tenants threatening to kill themselves in the six months last year from May to October.

They said it has become more frequent since the introduction of the so-called ‘bedroom tax’ and other changes made to welfare payments such as housing benefit.

The survey, conducted by the consultancy Straightforward and the Northern Housing Consortium, also found 90 per cent of housing workers reported that tenants were suffering greater financial hardship.

Charlotte Harrison, executive director at the NHC, told Inside Housing: “The research highlights some areas of concern in terms of increased levels of stress arising from dealing with more complex and emotional issues.”

Gillian Guy, chief executive of Citizens Advice, was reported as saying: “A threat to someone’s home is a financial and emotional crisis. Lack of affordable housing and changes to council tax support and housing benefit are putting severe pressure on household budgets.”

Staff also reported that they increasingly feel “like social workers” in their dealings with social housing tenants.

This is why I'd never vote labour. They're full of tory esque popularist shit like this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25686208

Now change the idea from teachers to serving members of parliament and test them every 12 months to see if they are fit for purpose, being good moral upstanding people who are capable of representing the people who voted them in rather than interests of big business or their own self interest (often the same thing as that of big business) and they could be onto something

• Like 1

This is why I'd never vote labour. They're full of tory esque popularist shit like this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25686208

I had a similar reaction to the story.

I can't really understand this obsession with educational standards. Joe public is not in a position to know what the standards are except that 'it was better in their day'.

The economy can't create enough jobs for the 50% who get to university already and the other 50% have been written off anyway.

Educational achievement is usually determined by meme or gene and there's not a lot a teacher can do about it.

It is just another top-down analysis which seeks to ignore the social problems which cause educational failure, while pretending it is within the power of politicians to overcome the intractable.

• Like 2

Katie Hopkins did not win the apprentice iirc

I seem to remember that she was offered the apprenticeship but refused to relocate because her parents were looking after her kids and so Sugar gave it to someone else.

No doubt the present Katie would insist that anyone exploiting their parents in such a way are no better than those demanding free nursery fees from the government.

I really wish I didn't know this. :rolleyes:

I thought she bowed out after the interview round (i.e. just before the final) on the pretence of the above but perhaps more to do with the 'husband stealing' stuff and the parts of her character that it laid bare.

Why not give teachers an 11% pay rise? I mean that's the way politicians have ensured the quality in their profession will remain as high as it is today. Or maybe a 44% rise, like the bankers will be projected to get in bonuses this year. Cameron blocked a cap on bonuses to keep the standards in banking as high as they have been in the last decade. Higher pay drives up quality is the mantra, isn't it??

• Like 2

Messing about with teaching standards is a great way to look busy, politicians need to look 'tirelessly busy' which is quite difficult to achieve as most things are out of their control.

The hard working people of Britain need to know their MP's are working tirelessly on their behalf. What better than another review of a big thing. Big things are trains, schools, hospitals and the army.

I've often thought that a great strategy for a party at any one election would be to come up with a pitch for votes along the following lines:

'Hard working people of Britain. We know you, we know you view our ideas with scepticism. We know that money saving reviews cost a fortune. Vote for us and we'll promise to change nothing for at least 4 years. Whatever crappy paperwrok you have to do, whatever structure you work with, whatever private or public funding. We will fundamentally not be tinkering with it. Whatever the system is today in the NHS outpost or school or cheese factory or ticket booth that you work in, we will not be blundering in with new performance indicators or streamlining strategies. You've got four years to just carry on and not worry about tinkering arseholes that have never had a proper job so stick their noses into yours. Thank you all. Carry on.' 

I don't like what education has become. It's all quotas and statistics and %'s of graduates in the workplace after six months, how much they are earning after a year etc.

It is understandable that people want to see how well the system works, but surely the benefits of a really good education are largely indefinable.

That eveything is increasingly tailored toward getting children ready for 50+ years of work is a worrying state of affairs and, at least in my opinion, the clearest sign that the system as it stands doesn't work.

Why not give teachers an 11% pay rise? I mean that's the way politicians have ensured the quality in their profession will remain as high as it is today. Or maybe a 44% rise, like the bankers will be projected to get in bonuses this year. Cameron blocked a cap on bonuses to keep the standards in banking as high as they have been in the last decade. Higher pay drives up quality is the mantra, isn't it??

you just don't understand the dynamics and psychology of the employment environment, there are only certain professions where higher pay = increased quality and performance, in all others high pay means you lose the passion factor required for satisfactory performance and end up with salary mercenaries, hence the need for constant monitoring to ascertain if standards are indeed falling due to pay levels and the before mentioned mercenary tendencies of the profession classes, for all non professional jobs, ie working class type of jobs, especially unskilled or semi skilled, higher pay levels are so detrimental they should be avoided at all costs as it leads to lazy complacency and an unjustified inflation of self worth, after all it is common knowledge that no one of working class has any pride in their job and only do them through coercion and compulsion, indeed the only way to ensure they even do their job to any where near an acceptable standard is to place them in as controlled an environment as you can, with the least ability for self expression or original though (after all it is dangerous to their own well being to attempt such), to employ as many threats of sanctions against them as you can no matter how unreasonable or unfair and pay them as little as you can get away with to remind them of their inadequacies.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion

*please not the above thoughts are not genuinely those of the poster, just observation transformed into words

• Like 1

I see the BBC have Katie Hopkins on This Week discussing political issues? How can anything this annoying, right wing, attention whore says carry any weight in the real world? She won a tv show and has created some kind of media career by being a pantomime TV villain, and unashamedly whoring herself out to the tabloids. What next, John McCririck to discus gender equality in the work place?

She is a truly grotesque human being.

Last week David Cameron told us climate change was a subject at the forefront of his mind as he stood in some poor souls flooded house in his wellies. This week he's bribing councils to accept fracking. Very clever.

Fracking is being sold as the way to a long term energy solution, despite ecological and geological worries, whilst ignoring the fact that most fracking wells have a very short life span with production tending to tail off pretty quickly and exhaustion in the region of 18-36 months. fracking will be the latest way for a few individuals to make a lot of money whilst the tax payer and local communities will get to pick up the bill for the damage it causes and clean up it requires.

Edited by mockingbird_franklin
  • Like 1

Â