The New Condem Government

bickster

Don't worry Boris, soon enough London will be beyond the means of anyone who doesn't have a heap of cash. As soon as the poor and johnny foreigner aren't around, the super-rich can walk around and act with impunity among the dunderheaded 'what's good for them is good for us' crowd.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

Insofar as it's the business of government at all, I'm more concerned with trying to pull more people up than pulling a few people down

I don't think the Tories are trying to do that. I think they're basically focussed on trying to pull the very wealthy up even further, to protect an elite.

I was expressing my opinion of what any government's approach should be, not what the Tories are up to.  My comment on a previous page wasn't in support of Boris, simply pointing out the factual basis in his claim that the super rich pay nearly 1/3 of the entire tax take and what that actually means in terms of a contribution to society.

Of course we could continue this charade that's it all the evil rich Tories screwing everyone else, or maybe open our eyes, look across the chamber and notice that, actually, the official opposition are not short of a bob or two themselves..

Ed Miliband's Bollinger bolsheviks Despite the class-war rhetoric, Labour’s elite is still intensely comfortable with being filthy rich — and it’s becoming ever more so

Maybe then people might notice what a manufactured sham this whole "hooray for the rich! No, burn the rich!" argument actually is. 

• Like 1

Insofar as it's the business of government at all, I'm more concerned with trying to pull more people up than pulling a few people down.

Having enough 'pulled up' (to what level exactly is another question) by clutching to the coattails of the very few would appear, I grant you, to be the guiding economic and social principles of this (and to a lesser degree the last) government. Edited by snowychap

Insofar as it's the business of government at all, I'm more concerned with trying to pull more people up than pulling a few people down

I don't think the Tories are trying to do that. I think they're basically focussed on trying to pull the very wealthy up even further, to protect an elite.

I was expressing my opinion of what any government's approach should be, not what the Tories are up to.  My comment on a previous page wasn't in support of Boris, simply pointing out the factual basis in his claim that the super rich pay nearly 1/3 of the entire tax take and what that actually means in terms of a contribution to society.

Of course we could continue this charade that's it all the evil rich Tories screwing everyone else, or maybe open our eyes, look across the chamber and notice that, actually, the official opposition are not short of a bob or two themselves..

Ed Miliband's Bollinger bolsheviks Despite the class-war rhetoric, Labour’s elite is still intensely comfortable with being filthy rich — and it’s becoming ever more so

Maybe then people might notice what a manufactured sham this whole "hooray for the rich! No, burn the rich!" argument actually is. 

Where's that Rory Delap when you need him?

Anti tory does not automatically mean pro labour, I'm shocked at how difficult a concept that appears to be.

Anti tory does not automatically mean pro labour, I'm shocked at how difficult a concept that appears to be.

Strange how people can read posts and see different things.  I do not think AWOL was saying that.

Strange how people can read posts and see different things.  I do not think AWOL was saying that.

You're right I wasn't saying that, any more than I was supporting the Tories when agreeing with Boris that the super rich actually make a huge contribution to our national wealth and common infrastructure. It's not about praising, supporting or kow-towing to the very wealthy, just acknowledging a fact.

Insofar as it's the business of government at all, I'm more concerned with trying to pull more people up than pulling a few people down.

Having enough 'pulled up' (to what level exactly is another question) by clutching to the coattails of the very few would appear, I grant you, to be the guiding economic and social principles of this (and to a lesser degree the last) government.

I would say it is down to the individual to pull themselves up and not expect a free ride from any one. The government should simply provide a safety net for those who lose their grip and fall while trying, or who through no fault of their own are unable to climb in the first place.

EDIT:  I meant to add that where the government can be proactive is in shaping the conditions for innovation and business to flourish, enabling the private sector to create more jobs.  They have all patently failed in that department over recent times.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 1

My comment on a previous page wasn't in support of Boris, simply pointing out the factual basis in his claim that the super rich pay nearly 1/3 of the entire tax take...

His claim was actually that the 'super rich' pay nearly 30% of the income tax and national insurance receipts not the entire tax take; I don't think that fact is a great basis for the attempted subsequent moral defence of this kind of income distribution.
  • Like 2

With you all the way, till the last sentence, Jon.

As Chris says just above, it's not about Labour/Tories - when it comes to this problem, they're both guilty. I am not espousing a Party view. I loathe the tories, true, but I'm not suggesting Labour is somehow the solution. Sadly, they're not. If they were it would be easy.

Oh and by the way

It isn't manufactured, even in that stereotype -  it's genuine feeling that what's the "established way" has utterly gone wrong, is wrong, and needs to be corrected. That the established parties won't or can't do it, is kind of incidental, yet is also part of the cause and the problem.

Own goals from The Tories continuing apace:

10:31am Wed November 20th

bernard-ingham.jpg

Margaret Thatcher’s press secretary Bernard Ingham has responded to a poll revealing that 39% of northerners would never vote Tory by calling them “demented” — and compares voters to cattle. With the survey by YouGov also revealing one in four people from the regions don’t even know someone who votes Conservative, the Yorkshireman slams his northern kindred in a column for the Yorkshire Post:

“But what worries me is the impression given by the 40 per cent who say they won’t [vote Tory]. At best it suggests closed minds, a certain bigotry. At worst it conveys an image of bovine stupidity”

Having extolled the virtues of George Osborne’s financial management, he continues:

“Against this background any Northerner who can never contemplate voting Conservative is clearly so demented as to be a danger to himself and his family – economically and socially suicidal.”

Disappointed that Cameron's memories of London 0 Hull 4 didn't extend to some of the exhortations on the cover of the album. :)

Facebook:

41814_19036402622_9771_q.jpg

Well, apparently David Cameron likes London 0 Hull 4. Which part of the attack on his policies and rich friends did he like best???

I hope nobody here is suggesting a politician would claim to like something he's never heard of because some intern has told them it's a cool thing to latch on to!

You'll be telling me they don't regularly eat pasties next.

Disappointed that Cameron's memories of London 0 Hull 4 didn't extend to some of the exhortations on the cover of the album. :)

Facebook:

Well, apparently David Cameron likes London 0 Hull 4. Which part of the attack on his policies and rich friends did he like best???

London 0 Hull 4 is my favourite album ever, and I know every word of every song, and the sleeve art is imprinted in my mind forever.  The sleeve notes contain the phrase "Take Jesus, Take Marx, Take Hope". As Paul Heaton has admitted he's not a Christian, I think having a go at Cameron for not agreeing with the contents of the album is a bit rich.

Facebook:

London 0 Hull 4 is my favourite album ever, and I know every word of every song, and the sleeve art is imprinted in my mind forever.  The sleeve notes contain the phrase "Take Jesus, Take Marx, Take Hope". As Paul Heaton has admitted he's not a Christian, I think having a go at Cameron for not agreeing with the contents of the album is a bit rich.

but it was Housemartins, a collaborative effort, perhaps the Rev Dicky Coles was partly responsible?

Facebook:

Paul Heaton

but it was Housemartins, a collaborative effort, perhaps the Rev Dicky Coles was partly responsible?

Rev Coles wasn't in the Housemartins. He was a sax player in Bronski Beat's live set up and then formed the Communards with wee Jimmy. That is the sum total of his musical career.

Heaton held Christian beliefs when he was a Housemartin, he has subsequently seen the light

EDIT: maybe for the celebs you've met topic but Rev Coles is a thoroughly decent intelligent bloke with an extremely sarcastic sense of humour. Met him a few times

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â