The New Condem Government

bickster

Liberal Party removed the whip from an MP yesterday for having an opinion on Israel. Could they be about to implode again?

Surely they must see that continuing to go along with the dreadful Clegg can only lead to oblivion?  It's probably too late in the day to try to salvage a few votes by reasserting some Liberal principles, but many in that sad party must be thinking there's no option.

On the fracking thing, isn't it a bit surprising that:-

Lord Browne

The former BP boss is chairman of Cuadrilla, which is exploring for shale gas in Lancashire and West Sussex. He is lead "non-executive" across Government, meaning that he helps recruit other non-executives to Whitehall.

Baroness Hogg

The non-executive for the Treasury sits on the board of BG Group, which has significant shale gas assets in the United States.

Sam Laidlaw

The non-executive to the Transport Department is also chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica, which recently bought a 25 per cent stake in Cuadrilla's most promising shale gas prospect.

Ben Moxham

A former executive at BP when Lord Browne was at the helm, he followed the peer to Riverstone Holdings, which owns 42 per cent of Cuadrilla. Moxham was energy adviser at No 10 but quit in May.

Lord Howell

George Osborne's father-in-law is also president of the British Institute of Economics, whose backers include BP and BG Group.

are all connected to the government

Actually perhaps it isn't in the least bit surprising at all

• Like 3

Fracking should only be allowed if it is regulated beyond the realms of reason, and even that may not be enough.

I've no problem with making the best of natural resources, but the process is flawed and results in far too much environmental & economic damage.

There are better, 'greener' ways to create energy, they just need to be researched properly and invested heavily in.

That will never, ever happen when the people in charge are largely skeptical of anything 'green' and, lets not forget, are lobbied fiercely by Big Energy.

Fracking should only be allowed if it is regulated beyond the realms of reason, and even that may not be enough.

I've no problem with making the best of natural resources, but the process is flawed and results in far too much environmental & economic damage.

There are better, 'greener' ways to create energy, they just need to be researched properly and invested heavily in.

That will never, ever happen when the people in charge are largely skeptical of anything 'green' and, lets not forget, are lobbied fiercely by Big Energy.

Its not even lobbied, they are there at the heart of the govt, being paid to advise them. If this were a comedy it would be considered to far fetched to be funny

Nuclear power or GTFO

Just don't build it anywhere in the south , put it somewhere where a nuclear meltdown might go unnoticed ... Like Sheffield

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 3

Radio 4 have announced that there is a very small possibility of earthquakes as a result of fracking.  So, that's two firms currently licensed, and one earthquake.  Hmmm.  Must improve my grasp of statistics.

Isn't the problem that green energy technologies (all of them) have to be massively subsidised for any commercial use to be viable? I mean, short of a game changer like cold fusion, what green solutions are out there that can meet the energy demands of the country?  I don't really see what further large investment can achieve to the design of say, a windmill..

On fracking my mate chairs the All Party Parliamentary Group for Unconventional Oil & Gas, so knows an awful lot more about it than I do (and with respect, probably more than you too) and he reckons that with the correct regulatory regime in place it is a viable alternative supply to achieve UK energy security for a good few decades at least. He's also never worked for, or been paid by an oil company.. As Chrisp65 says, the alternative of relying on very suspect and unstable foreign countries is frankly pretty dumb from a risk management perspective, and if fracking can be shown to be safe (with earthquakes were talking about tiny tremors, not a San Andreas fault type melt down) then surely the Greens would prefer that to a large scale build of new nuclear, which is really the only other alternative to reopening the pits and burning coal again.

It's not realistic to just state that we should bet the future on renewables until those technologies exist to reliably support the power generation needs of the country.

Edited by Awol

Nuclear power or GTFO

Just don't build it anywhere in the south , put it somewhere where a nuclear meltdown might go unnoticed ... Like Sheffield

Can you imagine any Tory actually liking the idea that the city where the leader of their allies in power lived were to be eradicated via a nuclear meltdown - and people being killed etc., think of the outrage and comment in the local press and parties if they thought that..........

Isn't the problem that green energy technologies (all of them) have to be massively subsidised for any commercial use to be viable? I mean, short of a game changer like cold fusion, what green solutions are out there that can meet the energy demands of the country?  I don't really see what further large investment can achieve to the design of say, a windmill..

On fracking my mate chairs the All Party Parliamentary Group for Unconventional Oil & Gas, so knows an awful lot more about it than I do (and with respect, probably more than you too) and he reckons that with the correct regulatory regime in place it is a viable alternative supply to achieve UK energy security for a good few decades at least. He's also never worked for, or been paid by an oil company.. As Chrisp65 says, the alternative of relying on very suspect and unstable foreign countries is frankly pretty dumb from a risk management perspective, and if fracking can be shown to be safe (with earthquakes were talking about tiny tremors, not a San Andreas fault type melt down) then surely the Greens would prefer that to a large scale build of new nuclear, which is really the only other alternative to reopening the pits and burning coal again.

It's not realistic to just state that we should bet the future on renewables until those technologies exist to reliably support the power generation needs of the country.

Renewables need subsidy like other energy sources, in the early stages.  The subsidies we have given to nuclear are staggering, and the long-term social, environmental and economic cost of both nuclear and fossil fuels is eye-watering.  Many of these costs aren't recognised, so the price to the user is artificially low, but the costs of decommissioning, storing, cleaning up will still have to be met.  And that's quite apart from the cost of things like Fukushima.  Or making safe from terrorist attack, hardly an issue with renewables.

Renewables in Germany now provide a quarter of the country's needs, and they are on track to reach the target of a third by 2020.  Costs of photovoltaic systems are falling, and energy costs to the user have fallen in recent years.

Without the constant and insistent lobbying of vested interests, we would see a very different set of decisions on how we produce energy.

• Like 2

Nuclear power or GTFO

With you being a Tory, I'm not sure if you're joking...

With me being from the south as well, I'd have to agree with it.

Nuclear power or GTFO

With you being a Tory, I'm not sure if you're joking...

With me being from the south as well, I'd have to agree with it.

tough call hey :)

Sheffield is hardly a laughing matter btw :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â