The New Condem Government

bickster

f it so happens that the front bench is made up of a current mixture of Tory/Labour and independent MPs but they are all the "best (wo)men for the job" isn't that a better proposal?

Sounds good to me KL

As its Christmas I thought I would post that ...... and hopefully some are sitting for this ...... I think the proposals from the Gvmt re charges for Credit / Debit cards is a good idea. (OK Labour supported it too, but fair play to the Gvmt if they can get that sorted)

Anything that stops that smug rocket polisher O'Leary from scams to rip people off is fair play IMO. Now if they can also tell that other tosser of the airline world Willie Walsh to piss off with the restrictive trade takeover of BMI by BA, then that would be top notch. I bet Branson aint so happy now he's been vocally supporting the GVmt

I think the proposals from the Gvmt re charges for Credit / Debit cards is a good idea.

:shock:

I didn't think would ever live to see this day .. did you get a visit from Marley's ghost last night :-)

I think the proposals from the Gvmt re charges for Credit / Debit cards is a good idea.

:shock:

I didn't think would ever live to see this day .. did you get a visit from Marley's ghost last night :-)

It was obviously a LibDem idea :-)

So, apparently there might be a state funeral for a woman that allowed child poverty to triple under her rule.

This country is away to the dogs.

if Stars wars taught us anything it's that you can blow up planets and kill millions and be forgiven if you save one life at the end

so I guess all we have to do now is find her one good act :winkold:

So, apparently there might be a state funeral for a woman that allowed child poverty to triple under her rule.

Thatcher state funeral to be privatised - e-petitions
Thatcher state funeral to be privatised

Responsible department: Cabinet Office

In keeping with the great lady's legacy, Margaret Thatcher's state funeral should be funded and managed by the private sector to offer the best value and choice for end users and other stakeholders. The undersigned believe that the legacy of the former PM deserves nothing less and that offering this unique opportunity is an ideal way to cut government expense and further prove the merits of liberalised economics Baroness Thatcher spearheaded.

Get signing, and get in the beers!

Thatcher state funeral to be privatised - e-petitions
Thatcher state funeral to be privatised

Responsible department: Cabinet Office

In keeping with the great lady's legacy, Margaret Thatcher's state funeral should be funded and managed by the private sector to offer the best value and choice for end users and other stakeholders. The undersigned believe that the legacy of the former PM deserves nothing less and that offering this unique opportunity is an ideal way to cut government expense and further prove the merits of liberalised economics Baroness Thatcher spearheaded.

Get signing, and get in the beers!

Haha. Brilliant post. I'll be signing that.

:lol:

She should be allowed to get the funeral that she deserves as decided by a majority.

Not sure how that would pan out for her.

She should be allowed to get the funeral that she deserves as decided by a majority.

Not sure how that would pan out for her.

Definitely, because tripling child poverty and cutting properly disabled peoples benefits is something to cherish.

Churchill was a proper hero. He defied everything against Hitler. Thatcher was an old establishment scumbag, who robbed the poor.

Some very interesting archives on Thatcher being released. A lot confirms what a evil vindictive person she and her cronies were (are). Also how following her policies now are seriously vindictive and have the interests of a few rather than all as the main focus

Throw her down a mineshaft, her work here is completed......... ;-)

You ever seen the film Decent ? Not such a good idea then ?

Just let the people decide, that's only fair. Unless the is a War Crimes commission that can decide where the crimes are against your own people.

Some very interesting archives on Thatcher being released. A lot confirms what a evil vindictive person she and her cronies were (are). Also how following her policies now are seriously vindictive and have the interests of a few rather than all as the main focus

The article I read in the Guardian took a more different approach and summed the papers up as showing a less sure of herself Thatcher.

The article I read in the Guardian took a more different approach and summed the papers up as showing a less sure of herself Thatcher.

She was certainly vindictive.

I'm sure there were many times when she was also unsure of herself, or uncertain if she could get away with what she was trying to do.

The two things aren't in contradiction.

Churchill was a proper hero. He defied everything against Hitler. Thatcher was an old establishment scumbag, who robbed the poor.

Churchill had many good points; but he was not without fault.

Thatcher was not “old establishment”; she was not from the aristocracy or anywhere near it, she was a grocers daughter who went to a grammar school. And she was a woman. If anything she was “radical”. Previous Tory leaders like Douglas-Home, Eden or Churchill were old establishment, they all came from established aristocratic families. Thatcher, Heath, Major, etc were ‘outsiders’ in the Conservative party...

Churchill had many good points; but he was not without fault.

Thatcher was not “old establishment”; she was not from the aristocracy or anywhere near it, she was a grocers daughter who went to a grammar school. And she was a woman. If anything she was “radical”. Previous Tory leaders like Douglas-Home, Eden or Churchill were old establishment, they all came from established aristocratic families. Thatcher, Heath, Major, etc were ‘outsiders’ in the Conservative party...

Indeed. Quite frankly, if you take his WWII record out of it, Churchill was at best an inept politician and quite a nasty piece of work to boot.

As a supporter of eugenics, he participated in the drafting of the Mental Deficiency Act 1913, although the Act eventually passed rejected his preferred method of sterilisation of the feeble-minded in favour of their confinement in institutions...

In early January 1911, Churchill made a controversial visit to the Siege of Sidney Street in London. The police had the miscreants – Latvian anarchists wanted for murder – surrounded in a house but Churchill, called in the Scots Guards from the Tower of London and, dressed in top hat and astrakhan collar greatcoat, directed operations. The house caught fire and Churchill prevented the fire brigade from dousing the flames so the men inside were burned to death. "I thought it better to let the house burn down rather than spend good British lives in rescuing those ferocious rascals."...

In 1915, he was one of the political and military engineers of the disastrous Gallipoli landings on the Dardanelles during the First World War. He took much of the blame for the fiasco, and when Prime Minister Asquith formed an all-party coalition government, the Conservatives demanded his demotion as the price for entry...

Churchill advocated the use of tear gas on Kurdish tribesmen in Iraq, Though the British did consider the use of poison gas in putting down Kurdish rebellions, it was not used, as conventional bombing was considered effective...

Churchill was appointed Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1924 under Stanley Baldwin and oversaw Britain's disastrous return to the Gold Standard, which resulted in deflation, unemployment, and the miners' strike that led to the General Strike of 1926...

Churchill was reported to have suggested that machine guns be used on the striking miners. Churchill edited the Government's newspaper, the British Gazette, and, during the dispute, he argued that "either the country will break the General Strike, or the General Strike will break the country" and claimed that the fascism of Benito Mussolini had "rendered a service to the whole world," showing, as it had, "a way to combat subversive forces"—that is, he considered the regime to be a bulwark against the perceived threat of Communist revolution. At one point, Churchill went as far as to call Mussolini the "Roman genius... the greatest lawgiver among men...

Churchill opposed Mohandas Gandhi's peaceful disobedience revolt and the Indian Independence movement in the 1930s, arguing that the Round Table Conference "was a frightful prospect". Later reports indicate that Churchill favoured letting Gandhi die if he went on a hunger strike. During the first half of the 1930s, Churchill was outspoken in his opposition to granting Dominion status to India. He was a founder of the India Defence League, a group dedicated to the preservation of British power in India. Churchill brooked no moderation. "The truth is," he declared in 1930, "that Gandhi-ism and everything it stands for will have to be grappled with and crushed."...

Another source of controversy about Churchill's attitude towards Indian affairs arises over what some historians term the Indian 'nationalist approach' to the Bengal famine of 1943, which has sought to place significant blame on Churchill's wartime government for the excessive mortality of up to three million people. While some commentators point to the disruption of the traditional marketing system and maladministration at the provincial level, Arthur Herman, author of Churchill and Gandhi, contends, 'The real cause was the fall of Burma to the Japanese, which cut off India's main supply of rice imports when domestic sources fell short...[though] it is true that Churchill opposed diverting food supplies and transports from other theatres to India to cover the shortfall: this was wartime.' In response to an urgent request by the Secretary of State for India, Leo Amery, and Viceroy of India, Wavell, to release food stocks for India, Churchill responded with a telegram to Wavell asking, if food was so scarce, "why Gandhi hadn't died yet." In July 1940, newly in office, he welcomed reports of the emerging conflict between the Muslim League and the Indian Congress, hoping "it would be bitter and bloody"...

Wikipedia

I freely concede that I have quoted selectively, and that he was an enigma who was equally capable of surprisingly liberal policies. But I do feel that the "Fight on the beaches" legend sometimes overshadows a more complex and at times very dodgy career.

Â