The New Condem Government

bickster

All of which means that while there is a path that will see us out of these financial woes I dont think that any of the current parties would be able to set us on the right course, maybe the last 20 years has shown us that there should be a much better alternative than the one we currently have.

I would say the last 40 years have been a mess tbh. Does kind of make you wonder why another party hasn't took advantage their hopless performances.

I wonder how hard it would be to set a political party up, surely the internet would make it very easy?

All of which means that while there is a path that will see us out of these financial woes I dont think that any of the current parties would be able to set us on the right course, maybe the last 20 years has shown us that there should be a much better alternative than the one we currently have.

I would say the last 40 years have been a mess tbh. Does kind of make you wonder why another party hasn't took advantage their hopless performances.

I wonder how hard it would be to set a political party up, surely the internet would make it very easy?

Really easy to set up a party.

Getting the media to give you fair representation, having a viable, pallatable alternative and stopping nutters and opportunists jumping on board and discrediting it all - that's a bit harder.

Oh my god.

From the grave comes the hateful Tebbit, to attack the government for making too many cuts. Hypocritical oaf.

Lord Tebbit in fight to save legal aid for children's medical cases

Former MP for Chingford joined by ex-social security minister Lord Newton in drafting amendment to cost-cutting bill

The arch-Thatcherite Lord Tebbit is among a group of peers campaigning to save access to legal aid for children involved in medical negligence claims...

Presumably he's doing it to cause a problem for Ken Clarke, rather than because he's developed, a little late in life, some sympathy for either legal aid or children?

Why have parties or the House of Commons at all ? It's a drain on resources and it exists to only look after the very select few. Look at the people running it now, out of the depth just does not cover it.

Just have democracy by internet voting. No different to turning up to a half falling down school on a cold Thursday night but allow everyone to vote on everything. A few restrictions would be needed on who can vote but I see no reason why not.

few restrictions would be needed on who can vote but I see no reason why not.

Nobody under 40 years of age?

No women?

No Irish?

IQ testing for everyone else before being deemed eligible?

That should cover it :winkold:

I'm surprised Tory HQ have released the next manifesto so early :-)

Then again they do seem to have the top 3 at least covered already

Why have parties or the House of Commons at all ? It's a drain on resources and it exists to only look after the very select few. Look at the people running it now, out of the depth just does not cover it.

Just have democracy by internet voting. No different to turning up to a half falling down school on a cold Thursday night but allow everyone to vote on everything. A few restrictions would be needed on who can vote but I see no reason why not.

mmm Think it may be better for the new party to outsource the running of the country to experts who are answerable to the people who run the party. Major decisions could be voted on.

Im not sure the general public could run the country on a daily vote basis, minority interest groups could concentrate their support on certain days to push through ridculous laws or policies.

Even if a party was set up just to show how unpopular our politicians are are, it would show them all that enough is enoughm a sort of people veto

...outsource the running of the country to experts...

That's in effect what has been done. The policies we follow are those laid down by an international coterie of economists and bankers who not only created the crisis, but also failed to notice it was happening and now propose exactly the wrong policies in response to it.

It's a form of asset-stripping, but on a scale never seen before.

What we need to do is take control away from these "experts". To do that, we need a political party with the sense and balls to do it.

What we need to do is take control away from these "experts".

yeah i agree a mechanic to run the economy and a drama teacher in charge of the M of D would be a good place to start ....

I did argue once before that politicians are given departments to run when in the real world whey would never get that job , point taken that some experts got things wrong on the economy , but it should also be noted that many experts did advise a certain Mr G Brown and he decided to ignore them anyway as he felt he knew best ..

but personally I'd have like to have seen the minister of Education come from an education background , the Minister of defence from a military background and so on .. rather than some bloke being put in that position cause he sided with the PM during a leadership bid or whatever

Direct democracy tends to end up not working in practice because people always vote for lower taxes and increased public spending until the state goes bankrupt.

Also, minority groups usually get screwed over and are not looked after.

California has a lot of direct democracy where people vote on propositions ("Vote yes on prop 42" etc) and this has been the experience there.

[Direct democracy tends to end up not working in practice because people always vote for lower taxes and increased public spending until the state goes bankrupt.

It seems to work very well in Switzerland.

Lord-Tebbitt-007.jpg
Has anyone got a picture of the back of GarethRDR's head?
Oi! Just 'cause I'm not smart enough to contribute to the Bollitics threads doesn't mean I don't read them aspirationally from time to time. :angry:

What we need to do is take control away from these "experts".

yeah i agree a mechanic to run the economy and a drama teacher in charge of the M of D would be a good place to start ....

I did argue once before that politicians are given departments to run when in the real world whey would never get that job , point taken that some experts got things wrong on the economy , but it should also be noted that many experts did advise a certain Mr G Brown and he decided to ignore them anyway as he felt he knew best ..

That must be the understatement of the year.

The dominant economic ideology has shown itself to be wholly unable to see the crisis coming or to manage it now it's here. The people who pointed out the problems before the crisis were ignored, and still are. Policies are being followed which have been shown to have failed. Our last round of QE was meant to stimulate bank lending to the real economy, but failed, with the banks sitting on the money to repair their balance sheets. The EU now makes available almost €500bn in cheap loans to banks in the hope that they will buy up sovereign EU debt, which they don't. Like throwing handfuls of cash into the air in the hope that some will land where you want it to.

The only reason why they do this instead of simply using the money to eradicate the debt directly is because they have created a rule that the central bank can't buy debt, because of a discredited theory from the defunct economists whose ideologies enabled the financial sector to do the things which caused the crisis.

They are also telling us that in a crisis of low demand, we should cut demand still further.

These are the experts we have running the show. You place too much faith in these experts.

You place too much faith in these experts.

well who says my cabinet wouldn't have been full of the experts who saw the problems coming :winkold:

Interestingly at the time I said let Northern Rock etc fail but protect savers .. now in hindsight I was probably wrong at that time and Darlings plan was probably the correct one .... but fast forward 2 years and maybe my initial thought was right after all nobody (well almost nobody) saw things going as bad as they got ... guess what I'm saying is the experts who saw it coming may have just got lucky this time around ... or the could be like St Vince and taking credit where it isn't due

[Direct democracy tends to end up not working in practice because people always vote for lower taxes and increased public spending until the state goes bankrupt.

It seems to work very well in Switzerland.

Maybe they have enough checks and balances to prevent the "tyranny of the majorty"? Though I know Muslims have been getting a hard time over there recently.

Â