The New Condem Government

bickster

I think their raison d'etre is indeed Conservation. They stand for conserving the 'status quo', for conserving their (and their friends/allies etc) position at the top of the 'tree'.

But yes, they also stand for the things above too.

• Like 1

I'm conservative and I don't stand for any of those things.

I'm curious as you describe yourself thus. What do you stand for?

Liberty, equality of opportunity, low/minimal taxes, small government, free trade, rule of law - things like that.

I expect our interpretations of many of those things and of conservatism in general differ wildly though.

• Like 1

Conservatism in its traditional sense has been dead as an electoral force in the West for quite some time. Although some would not like to admit it, the UK is quite progressive socially although a little slower to accept change than most. Economically it shifts a little more although a true left-wing alternative to neo-liberalism doesn't exist, so the UK has pretty much been right-wing economically for quite some time.

If you are a true conservative in this day and age, then you have to be a racist, sexist, homophobic arsehole (which, really, means you have to be a hardline religious sort). Of course there are decent amount of the electorate in Western countries that are all those things, and in some countries the numbers are growing, but you'll always have those people.

Conservatism in its traditional sense has been dead as an electoral force in the West for quite some time. Although some would not like to admit it, the UK is quite progressive socially although a little slower to accept change than most. Economically it shifts a little more although a true left-wing alternative to neo-liberalism doesn't exist, so the UK has pretty much been right-wing economically for quite some time.

If you are a true conservative in this day and age, then you have to be a racist, sexist, homophobic arsehole (which, really, means you have to be a hardline religious sort). Of course there are decent amount of the electorate in Western countries that are all those things, and in some countries the numbers are growing, but you'll always have those people.

I think your definition of "true" conservatism is way off the mark. We're veering into no true Scotsman territory here. Furthermore, you don't have to be religious to be racist, sexist or homophobic.

• Like 1

With those values you've gone for the Tories? :huh:

Why, who would you suggest fits those values better?

Liberty - I think all parties offer this. I don't think a party offering oppression would get many votes to be quite honest, it's just not a popular idea.

Equality of opportunity - No party has done more for equality than Labour.

Low / Minimal taxes - Income taxes have been lowered for some, yes, including the very highest earners and corporations, at the same time new taxes are created to make up for it, not to mention the increase in VAT which added up probably out weighs the small tax cut for the lowest earners.

Small government - Not quite sure what you mean by this? Small as in nobody takes any notices? Easily slapped down by Angela Merkel? That kind of thing?

• Like 1

Certainly its debatable but tbh I don't care. I treat anyone who describes themselves as socially conservative with suspicion and contempt.

That's probably because your definition of socially conservative differs wildly from most people who would call themselves that.

With those values you've gone for the Tories? :huh:

Why, who would you suggest fits those values better?

Liberty - I think all parties offer this. I don't think a party offering oppression would get many votes to be quite honest, it's just not a popular idea.

Equality of opportunity - No party has done more for equality than Labour.

Low / Minimal taxes - Income taxes have been lowered for some, yes, including the very highest earners and corporations, at the same time new taxes are created to make up for it, not to mention the increase in VAT which added up probably out weighs the small tax cut for the lowest earners.

Small government - Not quite sure what you mean by this? Small as in nobody takes any notices? Easily slapped down by Angela Merkel? That kind of thing?

Small government is as it sounds, really. It's a combination of fewer, smaller departments in government, and a general desire to reduce bureaucracy through having less politicians and policies. 'Big Government' would be a government that expands into all areas of day to day life and legislates all areas of everything, small government is one that reduces itself to 'vital' areas of governance. It's more of an American idea, these days, and become associated with general 'anything to do with governance is suspicious' mindset. It's a typical link to conservatism as, in general, big government means more people to do more stuff required, meaning more tax to pay for it, and generally assumes more meddling in peoples affairs which can be/is an attack on liberty.

Edited by Chindie

Small Government is a euphemism for Your on your own mate I've got mine and aim to keep it.Can't be having any of these pesky Govt run schemes to help those in need, it might cost me money.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

Without going into the whole thang, the Liberty one always cracks me up. Not come across a government in my nearly fifty years on the planet that has done anything but restrict liberty.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â