Jez

I'm not sure what his age has to do with anything really. It should be about his ability and if Sterling feels he is better than the guys at Liverpool who are earning more than he gets then he should ask for parity. Like I said before, the new TV deal is a huge factor in all future contract negotiations and Sterling is probably the first high profile/public negotiation since the increased TV revenue was announced.

Age has a lot to do with it because it reflects how long he has been at this level. If at 24-25 he's had 5 or 6 top quality seasons then he has a strong case for demanding parity with other top earning players.

He's good, but he's not incredible. A young Messi had people knowing he was the real deal. Sterling could easily go off the boil and become the next Jermain Pennant.

I just cannot agree at all with the age thing.  Sterling is one of the best players in the Liverpool team.  He's asking to be one of the top earners.  

From a club point of view he might be a flash in the pan, I get that.  From Sterling's point of view he might get a career ending injury at 23 and never get the big contract which is promised to him down the line so he's right to ask for it now.  If Liverpool don't want to pay that valuation and Sterling (or more likely his agent) is confident that someone else will then they are right to ask for the money now.  He's not a Liverpool lad, he's a Londoner who they signed from QPR a couple of years ago. I don't think they can really make the "loyalty" argument with him given the way they acquired his services. 

• Like 1

Then we're back at the beginning again. If he proves it over a few successive seasons I'm sure he'll get another rise...

Probably best we draw a line here :D

Edited by Genie

I could see it, he hasnt really got back after his injury last season and maybe loan spell will get him game time, think Real getting Vietto anyway so can spare Jese going on loan

I'm not sure the Sterling story is really about Sterling. I think it's got more to do with Liverpool going through the horrible process of learning that they are no longer able to compete for players with Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd or that handful of big European clubs - if they get a player that's capable of playing for one of those clubs, then they need to overpay him if they want to keep him. I suspect that Liverpool are going to really struggle to accept that.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Won't be a huge loss for Liverpool. Sterling is overrated

What him leaving represents for Liverpool would be a huge loss though, along with Barkley (and to be fair sterling is ahead of him because he's played a lot more football) he's the biggest prospect in English football, and he doesn't want to play for a team who's fans are constantly telling themselves they're english footballs biggest team and desperately trying to get re-established in the top 4

Him leaving for another prem team would be a huge blow for them off the field probably more than on it

Sterling is your stereotypical English winger. lightning quick, brainless, runs in straight lines. Will be another soon to follow in a long line of SWP, Lennon, Townsend and now Sterling

Its why I enjoy watching Grealish play, he has a footballing brain

Sterling is your stereotypical English winger. lightning quick, brainless, runs in straight lines. Will be another soon to follow in a long line of SWP, Lennon, Townsend and now Sterling

Its why I enjoy watching Grealish play, he has a footballing brain

He's really not. He's not a winger for a start. He was amazing at times last season playing a quick sharp passing game.

What will hold him back is a bad attitude, he really should stay at Liverpool.

• Like 1