Jez

One free kick?

Come on mate. You're better than this. That proves nothing.

Sterling has been one of the best players in a team that very nearly won the league. Plus he's been to a world cup and, whilst it's not saying much, was one of England's best performers.

All whilst he was still a teenager.

He also had a legitimate claim at being the best teenager in the world at one point, imo.

Ashley Young didn't even sign for us until he was 21. He hadn't even played in the premier league until he was 21. And whilst he was promising at Watford and did look good, he wasn't a patch on Sterling.

I don't disagree that Sterling is overhyped, as is every English youngster. but saying he hasn't looked any better than young did at the same age is a pretty far fetched statement.

Edited by Stevo985

maybe I am but I just dont see it in Sterling, ive seen dozens of similar pacy English wingers overhyped and overrated in recent years with no end product Lennon, SWP, Dyer, Adam Johnson etc. Granted Sterling is still just 20 but he didnt do a thing in Champions League to warrant the hype

I just think he is a headless chicken who in a european team will not get near the 1st XI. Is he good enough for Chelsea,United,  Arsenal or City? I dont think so

• Like 1

maybe I am but I just dont see it in Sterling, ive seen dozens of similar pacy English wingers overhyped and overrated in recent years with no end product Lennon, SWP, Dyer, Adam Johnson etc. Granted Sterling is still just 20 but he didnt do a thing in Champions League to warrant the hype

I just think he is a headless chicken who in a european team will not get near the 1st XI. Is he good enough for Chelsea,United,  Arsenal or City? I dont think s

He has scored 20 goals in the last two seasons so that kind if suggests theres some end product. For me he's better down the middle not as a winger. Young did score 15 goals in the 2005/6 which would make him the same age as Sterling is this season, although it was a lower level, your comparison has some merit. We'll just have to wait to see how Sterling develops. 

I think Jordon Ibe can develop into as good a player as Sterling and he will be an ideal replacement for Sterling. 

Edited by PaulC

He has less league goals this season Ulloa, Walters, Diouf and same as Agbonlahor. I dont think a guy wanting 180k a week and called quality should be on same scoring levels as them players

For me he's better down the middle not as a winger. ...

Why do you say that? That's interesting. He's surprising physical and muscular, I will say that. He doesn't have the lithe, gazelle-like quality of someone like DiMaria, for example. Is that why you think he can handle the middle?

Why do you say that? That's interesting. He's surprising physical and muscular, I will say that. He doesn't have the lithe, gazelle-like quality of someone like DiMaria, for example. Is that why you think he can handle the middle?

Before Sturridge came back thats where he was playing and it coincided with Liverpool's best run of form. Even last season when he played at the tip of the diamond he was at his most productive. 

Before Sturridge came back thats where he was playing and it coincided with Liverpool's best run of form. Even last season when he played at the tip of the diamond he was at his most productive. 

I see what you're saying. He's quite versatile then!

Sterling is a good player, bags of potential and i do like him. However, 180k a week? If that's true then I really don't know what to say. That's just bonkers!

I don't have a sense of what's normal for weekly salary. The amounts are so high, I find it morally/ethically hard to swallow ...

After a summer of speculation, Welsh forward Gareth Bale has finally completed a world record £85m (100m euros) transfer from Tottenham to Real Madrid. He will earn a reported £300,000 a week after signing a six-year contract. But are sky-high footballers' wages too much?

Bale's new contract means that he will double the yearly salary of UK Prime Minister David Cameron within just a week of work.
In return Real Madrid will be gaining one of the best players in the world, as they look to return to the summit of European football and win their 10th European Cup.
But at a time when many supporters struggle with rising ticket prices, are footballers' wages too high?

just googled and dailyfail reported hes turned down 180k a week. Surely not? Surely plop didnt offer that much aswell? was saurez even on that much?

Suarez didn't negotiate his new contract after the Premier League had announced they had sold TV rights for £5.1bn.   If the league are getting 70% more money from the new TV deal then expect average salaries to go through the roof.   £250k+ weekly wages will become the norm for England internationals, I'd imagine the star players at clubs like Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City will be pushing towards £400k a week by the time they next renew.   Mediocre squad players will be on £70k+ and thousands of people on the internet will wonder what happened.  The overseas figures haven't been announced yet but if they go up by a similar amount then I guess you could see player salaries double from what they are getting at the moment.   You can't pin what they ask for to what other (better) players were getting two or three years ago because everything changed with that TV deal.   As Don King famously said about money in boxing:  You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate. 

People keep paying those Sky subscriptions and this trend will only continue. Certainly for as long as it needs to in order to cover the careers of the guys playing today and I doubt they give a shit if the whole thing comes crashing down in ten years. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

It always amazed me the hype over someone like Wright-Phillips, here was a bloke at Man. City who always ran in straight lines on the wing and scored 25 yarders from time to time. He never had the overall game to play at the top level which is why he did little at Chelsea and has now faded into obscurity with his payslips. God I remember the endless SWP v Milner debates on here around 2007.

Lennon was a key player for Spurs for quite a few years but never quite took that next step into elite player that Sterling did at least second half of last season.

Sterling's a bit different in that he isn't pidgeon holed soley as a wide player, he can play through the middle behind the strikers or even upfront. Trying him as a wingback the other week was a bit bonkers though.

It's a bit OTT to start linking him with Real Madrid though, he's some way off that standard just yet. Gareth Bale needed to produce three great premier league seasons before he got his dream move after all.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

It always amazed me the hype over someone like Wright-Phillips, here was a bloke at Man. City who always ran in straight lines on the wing and scored 25 yarders from time to time. He never had the overall game to play at the top level which is why he did little at Chelsea and has now faded into obscurity with his payslips. God I remember the endless SWP v Milner debates on here around 2007.

his idiot father being a commentator on BBC probably helped his cause more than anything else. I remember he used to slaughter Sven for not playing him ahead of Beckham

• Like 1

Is he good enough for Chelsea,United,  Arsenal or City? I dont think so

He would get decent game time in all of those teams. Wouldnt be a starter in every single game but would still get a lot of starts/sub appearence like majority of their squad players. The only possible one where he probably wouldnt is chelsea (would be more of a sub appearance guy here i imagine).

sterling for ox/welbeck

sterling for navas/milner

sterling for januzaj/young (this is quite hard though because united like really slow buildup so sterling isnt as effective. and LVG team selection is just pure aids sometimes)

Not going to lie, i used to like SWP back in the day, some of the goals he scored was fantastic. Went through a spell iirc of just being able to blast it in the net for a little fella

Edited by gharperr

Chelsea do rely a lot on Hazard to break down teams so he would be an option for them

City, he's better than Milner and Navas from an offensive point of view and could play up front alongside Aguero

Arsenal he would but not all the time

Edited by PaulC