Jez

He was one of the best attacking-midfielders in Europe last season too. One of many victims of Scolari's predetermined World Cup squad selection. More surprising was that he remained at Hoffenheim during the summer, he certainly won't be this time.

• Like 1

really dont get the Sterling hype, he doesnt offer anything more than what Aaron Lennon will give you.  a straight line runner combined with being a headless chicken

I think Sterling has the all round game though.

Lennon was just an out and out winger, hit and miss.

I think Sterling is a much more inteliigent footballer, I just hope he doesn't dissapear up his own arse.

He needs to sack his agent too.

really dont get the Sterling hype, he doesnt offer anything more than what Aaron Lennon will give you.  a straight line runner combined with being a headless chicken

said in another thread last week, IMO he has a touch of the andi weimann about him, never looks 100% in control of the ball, might be that he still looks raw seeing as he is still young but if thats the case then £180k a week? footballs gone mad, guess its not just plastic scousers that are convinced he's good enough to be a real Madrid player (he isnt IMO)

Composure in final third and actually able to pass. Hes def a huge upgrade on Lennon. Can play more positions pretty well. Hes quite "intelligent" for his age, shown by being able to play at front by himself and worked quite well when he played CAM last season with saurez/sturridge. Lennon can only play one position and doesnt play it very well when he gets near the box.

Hes def regressed this season compared to last year standards but he has played wingback somtimes and no saurez who made everyone look good. Got to remember he is only 20. Imagine if grealish (19) was as good as sterling, villa fans would think hes the second coming.

Headless chicken is pretty unfair opinion imo. I used to think that, but he has def stepped up his game past year or so

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

A friend of mine was telling me about an interview he read with Sterling apparently he has been the highest paid player at every age group up this point and he wants that to continue hence him busting some scouse balls.

I think he'd be mad to leave at this point but sounds like he is all about the money rather than the game and unfortunatley common affliction it seems.

He's still younger than Young was when he signed for us. I think he's very good myself. Quick, skillful, scores goals. He's a much better player now than Lennon has ever has been and has the potential to be a great player imo.

I sort of agree that's he's a little overhyped, but last summer during the world cup, what other attackers for England really galvanised people's hopes and ambitions? When he's at his best he's also a lot of fun to watch. I love how he holds his palms up all the time like he's doing some old Vaudeville tap-dance routine. I also love it when he threads through defenses and his assists:

https://youtu.be/_5cPx7GGegk?t=3m41s