Jez

Royston Drenthe signs for Reading.  Great signing for them.  He's way above that league.

Quite a strange one that. From Real Madrid to Reading. Must have a attitude/personality problem for no other club to pick him up considering he left Everton on a free (i think?)

'Wastrel'.  I like that.  Yeah by all accounts the attitude is suspect.  But if they can get a good season out of him they'll do well.  He might quite fancy being a big fish in a small pond of clubs that he could bully week in week out.

'Wastrel'.  I like that.  Yeah by all accounts the attitude is suspect.  But if they can get a good season out of him they'll do well.  He might quite fancy being a big fish in a small pond of clubs that he could bully week in week out.

You can have it, I've got others ;)

Or he might think he is the billy big bollocks. He couldn't sort himself out at Everton with a manager like Moyes I just don't see him changing.

I think it will appeal to his ego, scoring bucket loads in the Championship.  The fact he has agreed to sign for Reading suggests to me that that's what he thinks he's gonna do down there.  I'm going to risk saying this is a bloody good transfer for them - even taking into account his up-to-now-suspect attitude.

On that England striker discussion. If Gabby continues his form from the 2nd half of last season and Villa go any way towards fulfilling their young potential then he might be an outside bet to be on the plane to Brazil because he too has something different from the rest. That's my left-field prediction.

The weakness here is

"If Gabby continues his form from the 2nd half of last season"

Gabby is many things but he is definitely not consistent

he did OK for a bit at Everton. never been his biggest fan but fact no team wanted him except one in wastelands of Russia last season so maybe just thinks Reading is closer to his homeland

The 'if' probably should have been uppercase and bold. However, I just get the suspicion that he genuinely matured towards the end of last season. As if he embraced the senior role and realised that he needed to play a major role rather than a minor one. I think he stopped being a shrinking violet and became responsible. If I'm right, then it's more a mentality than 'form' and we might see it continue into next season.

The 'if' probably should have been uppercase and bold. However, I just get the suspicion that he genuinely matured towards the end of last season. As if he embraced the senior role and realised that he needed to play a major role rather than a minor one. I think he stopped being a shrinking violet and became responsible. If I'm right, then it's more a mentality than 'form' and we might see it continue into next season.

Also whether he can keep fit, he was actually exceptional at the start of the McLeish season - when is in good physical shape and up for it he is pretty difficult to stop.

I think it will appeal to his ego, scoring bucket loads in the Championship.  The fact he has agreed to sign for Reading suggests to me that that's what he thinks he's gonna do down there.  I'm going to risk saying this is a bloody good transfer for them - even taking into account his up-to-now-suspect attitude.

We shall see....

Remember when Drenthe played in a U21 Championship, pretty sure this board went nuts about signing him.

that was some flop Dutch team. Maceo Rigters, Drenthe, Ryan Babel, Ryan Donk, De Ridder, Zuiverloon :D

Vlaar probably the member of that squad who has had best career

Remember when Drenthe played in a U21 Championship, pretty sure this board went nuts about signing him.

Yep and to be fair he was impressive.

Just goes to show the folly of signing players, any player (senior or youth) on the basis of a performance in an international tournament. It is always risky.

We were linked to him, until Real decided he was just what they needed on their bench. That put an end to that. It was the same tournament that Liverpool took Ryan Babel in.

We were linked to him, until Real decided he was just what they needed on their bench. That put an end to that. It was the same tournament that Liverpool took Ryan Babel in.

Well that and the fact Martin O'Neill was our manager at the time.... :)

News in Spain is that Barcelona are actually badly run at the moment by the President and a lot of people are not happy that how Valdes and Abidal and also Thiago and another player has been treated that they were promised new deals and President said they had no money. then they splash cash on Neymar

Seems like it is, selling Thiago will bite them big time.

The new Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso could be in the PL next season. That is Thiago, Isco and Illarramendi.

News in Spain is that Barcelona are actually badly run at the moment by the President and a lot of people are not happy that how Valdes and Abidal and also Thiago and another player has been treated that they were promised new deals and President said they had no money. then they splash cash on Neymar

The new Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso could be in the PL next season. That is Thiago, Isco and Illarramendi.

Not to mention De Gea, Mata and Cazorla (David Silva would probably make it to the next Euros too but maybe not the 2018 WC).

A lot of the top Spanish players that will most likely be starting for Spain in the next few tournaments will be playing in the PL. No doubt Thiago will have some daft release clause that means he can go back to Barca though.

Not to mention De Gea, Mata and Cazorla (David Silva would probably make it to the next Euros too but maybe not the 2018 WC).

A lot of the top Spanish players that will most likely be starting for Spain in the next few tournaments will be playing in the PL. No doubt Thiago will have some daft release clause that means he can go back to Barca though.

His release clause is being met so unless he specifically requests a release clause there won't be one.

Although in saying that united wouldn't allow him have one.