Jez

I'll admit to not knowing alot about Neymar, but isn't he a flamboyant striker, who likes to dribble and attempts tricks and outrageous goals?

He doesn't look very much like David Villa to me, but that's not to say that he won't do well for Barcelona. He's ridiculously skillful and his highlight reel is almost as impressive as Messi's. Having those two in the same team is frightening

However, they both play selfishly (to an extent) because they're the best players in their teams and the ball is constantly fed to them and I do wonder whether only one star of this type can shine brightly in a team at one time. 

Messi seemed to do fine in Pep's first team of Henry, Eto'o and Messi.  I suspect Barcelona will try and return to something like that.  

You might not see another 60-70 goal season from Messi because everything won't go through him any more, but in 2008/09 (when Barcelona won every competition the entered) Messi got 38 goals, Eto'o got 36 and Henry got 26.  I think it is better to share the goals around like that than it is to put all your eggs in one basket. 

I suspect Rev is right, I don't think Neymar will  be a failure, far from it, but I don't expect him to be 'the next Messi' and I don't expect Messi to be banging in every goal Barcelona score anymore. 

I suspect Rev is right, I don't think Neymar will  be a failure, far from it, but I don't expect him to be 'the next Messi' and I don't expect Messi to be banging in every goal Barcelona score anymore. 

It's a worthwhile gamble anyway. So long as Barca keep their core 5/6 players they can slot almost anyone in and be fine. I think Sanchez and Cesc have been disappointing and Alba has made Bennett look like Maldini, but it doesn't seem to have hurt them a whole lot.

It'll be exciting to watch, that's for sure. Cesc has been disappointing but he needs opportunities in his best position, as good as Xavi is he might need the Giggs and Scholes treatment from now on. 

Monaco assistant coach Jean Petit is reported to have told Radio RCN on Friday: "Yes, we are expecting Falcao and four or five other players of his quality.

Btw, how will this work with financial fair play? They have now spent £120m on three players and the club probably only generates the income of a championship club.. and are they buying out the investors that owned the contracts too or will that mess still go on?

Monaco assistant coach Jean Petit is reported to have told Radio RCN on Friday: "Yes, we are expecting Falcao and four or five other players of his quality.

Btw, how will this work with financial fair play? They have now spent £120m on three players and the club probably only generates the income of a championship club.. and are they buying out the investors that owned the contracts too or will that mess still go on?

They aren't in Europe, so FFP doesn't come in to effect...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Aren't there various loopholes with FFP? I think you can blag it if you're vaguely attempting to move your finances in the right direction. I'll eat my beret if Platini kicks PSG out.

Messi seemed to do fine in Pep's first team of Henry, Eto'o and Messi.  I suspect Barcelona will try and return to something like that.  

You might not see another 60-70 goal season from Messi because everything won't go through him any more, but in 2008/09 (when Barcelona won every competition the entered) Messi got 38 goals, Eto'o got 36 and Henry got 26.  I think it is better to share the goals around like that than it is to put all your eggs in one basket. 

Even 2010-11 when Messi was used in the middle throughout the full season. Villa and Pedro chipped in handsomely with over 20 goals each and that team was beautifully balanced. There's no way Neymar could fit into the style Barcelona play now. Wide forwards are so limited which is why Sanchez has struggled to have quite the impact he has. It may not work but if Barca can get it right, it'll be so freakin' beautiful watch. Possession numbers may somewhat decrease just slightly but hopefully that'll mean more attacking freedom and quicker tempo going forward and on the counter.