Jez

Or giving the transfer fee straight to Cole to offset his salary reduction.

Whatever it takes to get rid.

Ridiculous signing.

But Gerrard said Cole could do things that Messi can't do and I thought Cole would win player of the season :lol:

Agree though he has been an awful signing

I'd be tempted to melt Joe Cole down. Get more for him that way.

Henderson and Wickham both set to sign for Liverpool this week according to reports.

Henderson is so overrated! Remember his England debut one of the worst i have ever seen.

i dont get the hype with Henderson...

I made a point of watching him closely last season and he didnt impress me once...

what does he actually do?

and talk of him moving for 18M? laughable

Yeah, definitely paying for potential with Henderson. Didn't really kick on as much as expected last season but still productive as proven here:

http://basstunedtored.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/top-15-chance-creators.jpg?w=441&h=330

Here's the good stuff he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBsk69cBhpM

The fee is supposedly £16m rising to £20m. An awful lot of money for unproven talent but it's crucial we start getting quality service into Carroll and Henderson is somebody with the ability to deliver it.

I'd be more concerned over Wickham. Best mate is an Ipswich fan, I've quizzed him many a time on the lad and he always says the same three things:

1) He has no earthly idea what the hype is about.

2) If he gets sold for anywhere near the fees being banded about in the media he will be very, very happy.

3) He's Chris Kiwomya v2, just taller and whiter.

Personally, I've not seen enough of him to say either way, but from the outside looking in I would question the need for Wickham when you've already got Carroll. I could understand getting a similar player as competition/back-up, but I'd have thought that player would be someone whose already got a bit more experience at a higher level (especially for the alleged moolah that Wickham will cost).

If I was a Villa fan I'd be very worried about those two signings which will probably come up to at least £25 million. Especially Henderson who really is not all that, if he wasn't English, nobody would care about him. Also from what I've seen of Sunderland, David Meyler is a better player, just that he always gets injured.

I'd be more concerned over Wickham. Best mate is an Ipswich fan, I've quizzed him many a time on the lad and he always says the same three things:

1) He has no earthly idea what the hype is about.

2) If he gets sold for anywhere near the fees being banded about in the media he will be very, very happy.

3) He's Chris Kiwomya v2, just taller and whiter.

Personally, I've not seen enough of him to say either way, but from the outside looking in I would question the need for Wickham when you've already got Carroll. I could understand getting a similar player as competition/back-up, but I'd have thought that player would be someone whose already got a bit more experience at a higher level (especially for the alleged moolah that Wickham will cost).

I can't say I've seen enough of Wickham to form an opinion either. He's only just 18 so I guess the scouts must just think he's good for his age.

From what I have seen, he's a bit more mobile than Carroll so although they are both target men, I see him bringing something different to the table. If this little compilation is anything to go by, I thought he held his own quite well against Arsenal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YK8j4uEFgY

At £8-10m, I'm not too concerned to be honest. I know it's nuts but it doesn't seem like that much money these days. If Alex Ferguson can spend £8m on a homeless Portuguese winger who he's never seen play, Wickham suddenly doesn't look like such a huge risk.

Plus if it doesn't work out, he'll still be young with a decent resale value.

He's not a winger though is he, he's a CM isn't he. I know he can do a job out there but i think you could get someone better but can see Dalglish is trying to build a british spine to your side.

I could be wrong but I see Henderson playing on the right of a midfield three.

He might be the long-term replacement for Gerrard but Stevie isn't finished yet so I'm not sure where else Henderson would get a game except out wide.

At £8-10m, I'm not too concerned to be honest. I know it's nuts but it doesn't seem like that much money these days. If Alex Ferguson can spend £8m on a homeless Portuguese winger who he's never seen play, Wickham suddenly doesn't look like such a huge risk.

I remember when £5m for Chris Sutton was a big deal.

As for Bébé, I am hoping beyond hope it's Ferguson's Ali Dia moment. :)

Looks like liverpool doing a leeds (apart from the nearly going bankrupt bit.......oh wait) buying young players at vastly over priced (and possibly over rated) fees and wages risky but if they all reach there potential they could be a force again

i agree john, i see it as smoke and mirrors, you buy young english expensive talents, everyone gets excited, the excuse for failure is already there all they need now is O'Leary to do their interviews...

redman if i was a liverpool fan id be screaming from the rooftops for them not to do this transfer

He's not a winger though is he, he's a CM isn't he. I know he can do a job out there but i think you could get someone better but can see Dalglish is trying to build a british spine to your side.

Henderson broke through playing on the right wing but this season he has played more centrally from what i have seen. Wasn't long ago that the Sunderland fans were getting on his back so I guess he's had a pretty poor season

As for Bébé, I am hoping beyond hope it's Ferguson's Ali Dia moment. :)

Something very fishy about that deal. Kid sold for £8m five weeks after joining club on a free. Third-party ownership involved too. Somebody somewhere did very nicely out of that.

i agree john, i see it as smoke and mirrors, you buy young english expensive talents, everyone gets excited, the excuse for failure is already there all they need now is O'Leary to do their interviews...

redman if i was a liverpool fan id be screaming from the rooftops for them not to do this transfer

I'm a bit anxious about it, I must admit.

I don't think Henderson, Wickham and Jones (assuming these deals go through) will necessarily go straight into the team. Maybe they'll just replace the likes of Cole, Poulsen and Jovanovic on the bench to start with.

Offset the large transfer fees against the saved wages of that lot and it doesn't look like bad business.

I don't think Henderson, Wickham and Jones (assuming these deals go through) will necessarily go straight into the team. Maybe they'll just replace the likes of Cole, Poulsen and Jovanovic on the bench to start with.

Offset the large transfer fees against the saved wages of that lot and it doesn't look like bad business.

Fair point about the wages, Cole's on an absolute fortune isnt he ?

Buying one of them is fine but buying 3 " prospects " for the £30 - £40m they would cost is definately a bit risky IMO ( unless you have a HUGE budget ).

I don't see how they would come in and improve the team immediately, which is what you need if your to be challenging for champions league places again

Fair point about the wages, Cole's on an absolute fortune isnt he ?

Buying one of them is fine but buying 3 " prospects " for the £30 - £40m they would cost is definately a bit risky IMO ( unless you have a HUGE budget ).

I don't see how they would come in and improve the team immediately, which is what you need if your to be challenging for champions league places again

Agree which is why I wonder if we do have a HUGE budget this summer to bring in experienced first-teamers as well.

I'm guessing the plan is to build a strong squad as quickly as possible. If they can do it in one window, they will.

Which begs the obvious question - where is the money coming from?

My theory is that the new owners factored a large transfer kitty into the take-over. The previous owners had to sell for £440m to break even but the sale was forced through for £300m. So they could pump the £140m saved into the club. What the FFP implications would be, I don't know.