Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

3 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Another woeful test match. The game is deader than dead. The review of the cricket schedule won't save test match cricket. 

They will review it and add more limited over matches, whilst saying test cricket is the ultimate level for the sport.

Fair play to the Sri Lankan's, really battled hard and with the weather that's around over the next couple of days they might escape with a draw.

Ed Barnard has been brilliant with the ball again, 5-fer for the Bears against Somerset. 

• Like 1

With the rain some showers forecast for parts of today and rain forecast tomorrow, I wonder at what point do England start to worry about Sri Lanka's lead.

England are really struggling to get anything going with the ball at all today - lead is 146 at the moment and you'd imagine they'll comfortably take it over 200. 

This has the makings of a very good test match.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

I'd have a guess that Old Trafford is about 1/3rd full. That's shocking for a Saturday of a test in August.

Is that the state of test cricket or because the weather hasn't been good ?

England making hard work of chasing just over 200, three wickets down already and a double failure with the bat for Pope.

Warwickshire showing no signs of being positive and upping the scoring rate to put us in a position where we could declare and attempt to bowl Somerset out.

Guess it will be 10 games without a win in the Championship...

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, colhint said:

Good to see Bethal and Mousley called up for England's one day and t20 squads

Indeed, well deserved for both of them. And some long long overdue changes, no Moeen, Bairstow or Jordan.

Malan has retired from international cricket.

The most underrated and under used player to have played for England's white ball teams.

• Like 1

Brilliant knock by Root. Level now with Cook for test hundreds scored.

But we really do lack balance without Stokes in the side. As much as I love Woakes, he's not a test no.7. And then you have 4 number 11's batting below him. 

4 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Brilliant knock by Root. Level now with Cook for test hundreds scored.

But we really do lack balance without Stokes in the side. As much as I love Woakes, he's not a test no.7. And then you have 4 number 11's batting below him. 

Agreed Root will break all records. To me the yardstick of greatness is a test match batting average over 50. Root couid end up being the first Emglish batsman to do that since the 1960s. I do think that England batting lineup is a bit suspect apart from Root and Brook. Pope has had too many failures. Good knock by Atkinson though.

Edited by PaulC

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Agreed Root will break all records. To me the yardstick of greatness is a test match batting average over 50. Root couid end up being the first Emglish batsman to do that since the 1960s. I do think that England batting lineup is a bit suspect apart from Root and Brook. Pope has had too many failures. Good knock by Atkinson though.

Atkinson made me eat my words a bit, albeit helped by some very very poor bowling from Sri Lanka.

There's a stat with Pope that I've seen repeated on Sky and other outlets about how often he gets out within the first 20 or so balls and it's a very very high percentage. 

In my opinion the greatest English batsman I've seen in the near 20 years I've been watching cricket is KP, despite him falling slightly short of a 50 average. But Root is going to break all the records and then some.

Could Root end up the highest run scorer ever? He'll definitely be second (only needs 1200). Tendulkar 3800 away and Root is still only 33... 

If he doesn't I'll beat him to death because I'm sick of the Indians referring to Ten as God.

He can still be God, but just secondary to Root, who we won't make a 10th of the noise about lol.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â