Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

May have got my rant in too early 🙂

Oh my, I nearly had to retract this but won with the penultimate ball. That was near disaster though as they'd batted themselves into a can't lose position.... But nearly did **** it up even then. 

• Like 1

Good win for Phoenix. Bethell and Mousley look like potentially great all around cricketers. With Duckett and Smith to come in and bolster the batting and Woakes to come in for Fuller this looks a pretty good side.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm sorry, Moeen Ali is totally washed up.

He scored a ton for the Bears last week... 

But anyway, the standard of the Hundred is just so laughably shit. I can't wait for it to be canned. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Milfner said:

He scored a ton for the Bears last week... 

But anyway, the standard of the Hundred is just so laughably shit. I can't wait for it to be canned. 

Yeah, hopefully the week after Knobhead Limited buy into it and call the team that play at Edgbaston "Small Queef Phoenix"

On 26/07/2024 at 13:22, Rodders said:

Had day 4 tickets for this test. For 90 minutes this morning it seemed encouraging the game might last. 3 wicket collapse.again. Will.be bowled out for under 250 by 5pm. England to then bat and get a 150 -200 run lead by day 3 morning, windies to be bowled out by tea on day 3 give or take an hour. 

Sorry mate. I think this is going to be over today. Funny because at times it's seemed like a competitive match yet we find it at a 77 lead with 8 wickets down just after lunch day 3.

Yeah, tbf I'd rather that than weighing up whether to go for 1 hours play (up from cardiff) and I went to day 4 at trent Bridge which was a pretty good day!

• Like 1

A historic first home test win for Ireland on the weekend but you had to go deep into the headlines to find it. Granted it was during the Olympics but it got minimal coverage. They need to play more tests to improve further, yet the ICC has only allocated 14 tests in the next four years. If they really want to keep test cricket as the highest level within the sport  the smaller test nations need to play more regularly.  Surely they should have at least one warm up test versus whoever is touring England.  The west indies had their moments but the betting collapses really hurt them. They seem to lack the consistency to really challenge the top sides, and has been the case for 20 odd years.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Sky sports giving their ratings for the England players for the series 

Atkinson - 22 wickets  @16.22 , including  12 for 106 on his debut , first bowler in more than 90 years to take  5 wickets in both innings on his test debut , best debut figures in 134 years  ... gets an 8 

Bashir -  9 wickets  @27..22   gets a 9 

did they even watch the series ? 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 4

Just put the Hundred on. Old Trafford is barely a 1/3rd full. Just shows what an utter disaster the men's Hundred has been.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Mott binned as the white ball coach thankfully. 

Trescothick as interim.

Should have been binned after the ODI World Cup but better late than never.

Would have given it to Collingwood as Morgan didn't want it, but I don't hate Trescothick getting it.

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Birmingham Phoenix being absolutely battered again with Moeen Ali scoring a whopping 4.

If there was ever a player who gets picked more on his 'reputation' rather than actual form for club, country or 'franchise' 🤮 it's Moeen.

Edited by Avfc96
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

If there was ever a player who gets picked more on his 'reputation' rather than actual form for club, country or 'franchise' 🤮 it's Moeen.

He's definitely failing more than he's firing. He's been a great player but he's just past his best. 

I called the collapse too soon though.

Nottingham couldn't lose, needed 10 runs from 10 balls at the end but Mousley just destroyed them with his bowling. 

Ended up winning with the last ball. 

It was thrilling. I can't understand the hate for this tournament. 

Edited by sidcow

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

He's definitely failing more than he's firing. He's been a great player but he's just past his best. 

I called the collapse too soon though.

Nottingham couldn't lose, needed 10 runs from 10 balls at the end but Mousley just destroyed them with his bowling. 

Ended up winning with the last ball. 

It was thrilling. I can't understand the hate for this tournament. 

The hate for this 'tournament' is more than justified.

The ECB have spent and lost millions on creating new 'franchises' to try and capture a new audience. But all they've done is lose millions and get worse crowds than they do for the Blast as well as alienating more than half of it's member clubs and all of those cricket fans who don't live near a Test venue.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

The hate for this 'tournament' is more than justified.

The ECB have spent and lost millions on creating new 'franchises' to try and capture a new audience. But all they've done is lose millions and get worse crowds than they do for the Blast as well as alienating more than half of it's member clubs and all of those cricket fans who don't live near a Test venue.

They’ve given women’s cricket a huge boost and from attending Edgbaston for both Blast and Hundred matches the crowds at Edgbaston at least seem higher for Hundred games (other than the Worcestershire derby that gets taken over at times by tribal football fans on a piss up).

It’s gimmicky as a tournament and I’d much rather they’d just made the Blast into this tournament with genuine quality international players but I’ve enjoyed the Hundred for what it is. The numbers of kids and women in attendance is refreshing to see also and it fits into the school holidays nicely.

It’s been a bit of a slow start this year but having the England players back now makes every game a showcase for some top cricket players.

The Blast is great but give me Southee bowling at Joe Root rather than Lintott bowling at Billy Root.

19 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

They’ve given women’s cricket a huge boost and from attending Edgbaston for both Blast and Hundred matches the crowds at Edgbaston at least seem higher for Hundred games (other than the Worcestershire derby that gets taken over at times by tribal football fans on a piss up).

It’s gimmicky as a tournament and I’d much rather they’d just made the Blast into this tournament with genuine quality international players but I’ve enjoyed the Hundred for what it is. The numbers of kids and women in attendance is refreshing to see also and it fits into the school holidays nicely.

It’s been a bit of a slow start this year but having the England players back now makes every game a showcase for some top cricket players.

The Blast is great but give me Southee bowling at Joe Root rather than Lintott bowling at Billy Root.

I completely agree it's done wonders for the women's game, a roaring success.

However, if the Blast was afforded the money and exposure that the Hundred has had, it would be so much better and bigger. Games on FTA, a dedicated window where the Blast is played and no England games are played and the money spent.

If you're a kid who's local first class country is Derbyshire, Somerset, Essex, Kent, Worcester, Durham, Sussex, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Gloucestershire you don't have a team to support nor unless are you incredibly fortunate would you be able to go to any games. They have to settle with watching a mixture of second XI/ academy players pay in the One Day Cup.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

I completely agree it's done wonders for the women's game, a roaring success.

However, if the Blast was afforded the money and exposure that the Hundred has had, it would be so much better and bigger. Games on FTA, a dedicated window where the Blast is played and no England games are played and the money spent.

If you're a kid who's local first class country is Derbyshire, Somerset, Essex, Kent, Worcester, Durham, Sussex, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Gloucestershire you don't have a team to support nor unless are you incredibly fortunate would you be able to go to any games. They have to settle with watching a mixture of second XI/ academy players pay in the One Day Cup.

I did say that I’d rather they’d have transformed the Blast. The sheer number of teams would make it pretty problematic compared to the other major T20 leagues around the world but I’m sure it would have been manageable.

I’ve enjoyed the Hundred though and seen plenty of Worcestershire, Kent and Essex tops at games to suggest that people are prepared to travel to see a good standard of cricket. 

when they first announced it I had zero interest  , indeed i dont't think i saw any of the first year , but I watched a game by chance and suddenly have found I've got into it  ,  the games are on the whole very close , you only need a few balls to totally change the complexion of the game 

the other day Oval invincibles batting first looked to be on for 150+ then ended on 113 and looked out of it  ,their bowlers kept them in it and they looked home free after 80 balls and then suddenly they were looking at a potential defeat  after 90 balls before the bowlers swung it back and held on for the victory  

its great TV viewing ... I'd go to the oval and watch the games if i lived 5  /10 mis away but a 50 minute journey each way for a game that's over in 2 hours doesn't make it worth while for me .. so TV it is 

Edited by tonyh29

Ă—
Ă—

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Ă‚