Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yesterday they were talking about this being the first chance for England's new generation of bowlers to show a bright future after the retirement of Broad and Anderson.

Ah.

First time the Windies have scored 450 in a test innings in ten years.

Sun out, really good batting pitch, I watched the WI game at the GABA and they are a decent, if inconsistent side. I'm glad they batted well. The other thing is the media and to an extent followers of cricket now seem to expect everything to happen at breakneck speed, but a side battling and batting and making something of their talents and efforts, against another good side - it's good to see.

If Jimmy and Broad played, the media would have been all "are they past it, now?"

Switch to today and England's bowlers snaffle wickets, and I assume the Windies will do the same. Test cricket, innit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Switch to today and England's bowlers snaffle wickets, and I assume the Windies will do the same. Test cricket, innit.

Aye, and it's a fine contest at the moment, Another opportunity to see England bat under a tiny bit of pressure.

Still not really sure why they've pushed Anderson out. I could understand if he was making way for a younger bowler of his ilk but we're playing Chris Woakes. I love Woakes, but he's 35 and probably won't be around for more than a couple years himself. 

Poor from Crawley to be run out in that manner. 

If the Windies can get another 1 or 2 quickly I'd make them favourites.

1 hour ago, Milfner said:

Still not really sure why they've pushed Anderson out. I could understand if he was making way for a younger bowler of his ilk but we're playing Chris Woakes. I love Woakes, but he's 35 and probably won't be around for more than a couple years himself. 

My guess is that last summer he had a poor series in the Ashes and again in the winter, while he was economical, he wasn't that much of a threat (but great skills), and he won't make the Ashes. So if he's gonna be replaced, and Broad retired, they still need some experience this summer to help the new bowlers. Woakes was man of the series last summer, and is very good in English conditions, and can also bat, so he's playing this summer at home and then will also go. It's harsh on Jimmy, but it was going to happen soon anyway, and better to give him a send off, rather than just be dropped.

• Like 2

There's a chance here that England could push on and score 400 in both innings of a test for only the third time and the first since 1948*

*I've checked these figure myself so they're probably worth double checking.

61-0 to 74-3. Shame, was looking forward to a decent days play tomorrow.

Would expect us to get a few more tonight and then wrap it up in the first hour tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 20/07/2024 at 13:48, Milfner said:

He's made way for Atkinson surely? Woakes has played many times with Anderson and in conjunction with Broad too hasn't he? 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Avfc96 said:

61-0 to 82-5 is utterly embarrassing.

They were for none when I went to cut the grass thinking they looked solid enough and would probably bat out the day. By the time I came back in they were 96 for 6 😂

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

One to get, excellent bowling performance 

I'd argue a p*ss poor shambolic batting performance rather than an excellent bowling performance.

2 minutes ago, Avfc96 said:

I'd argue a p*ss poor shambolic batting performance rather than an excellent bowling performance.

I'll give you that :)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â